• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Erik on German TV

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Are all German women that crazy? :p
Watched all of it, but only understood bits where I could just pick up English sounding words, or understand what she said by what happened.
Can someone who knows German explain what the two guys who came up said, and what she said back to them? Thanks.

Erdos

Holy crap. Now I see what everyone's saying. That corner twist was awesome. I liked how you smirked and shook your head after you did that.

Last edited:

GermanCube

WCA
2010SCHR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey,

I have finished my translation, here we go:

Time for records at the „ZDF Fernsehgarten“ [ZDF is a German TV channel, Fernsehgarten means something like TV garden and is a TV show hosted by Andrea Kiewel called “Kiwi”].
I asked the audience at the “Lerchenberg” to scramble these magic cubes really good. And, as you probably expected, dear viewers at the “Lerchenberg” or at home, now it’s time to get these things in the right order very, very fast. Namely – Heads Up! – 6 pieces in 90 seconds. These are just 15 seconds per cube!
Okay, we [the Germans] are going to be World Champions at soccer [or football, depends on where you live], but he [Erik] is the Dutch cubing grandmaster. A warm welcome to Erik Akkersdijk!
Music plays; she’s saying “hi” to Erik, and decides to move in front of the table

Kiwi: You gotta get a look at him. I think he could wear this [probably a compliment]. It matches to the cube, so to speak. Erik, you are the current world record holder since 2008, but [only] for one cube. What is the world record time, how much time do you need to get the thing right?

Erik: So, my best time at a competition, it was in Czech Republic in 2008, it was 7.08 seconds.

Kiwi: Seven point 08 seconds, can I get an applause for that? How is this possible?

Erik: Yeah, of course there is a system, everyone could learn it. But, of course it is difficult to perform the system as fast as possible.

Kiwi: Did you ever really figured out how it works, or did you just – like everyone else – learn all the steps by heart?

Erik: Yes, so the people in 1980 were able to figure it out by themselves . . .

Kiwi: By “the people” he’s certainly talking about me, I was an adult in 1980 [quiet pointless to say]

Erik: So for me it was also a little bit difficult, I also learned it from someone else . . .

Kiwi: Yes

Erik: and today you could just learn it from the internet.

Kiwi: How many moves do you need to finish the thing?

Erik: So for my method I need about 55 moves per cube, but when I have a little more time to study it, I could do 30 moves per cube.

Kiwi: Good, I gave 9 cubes to my audience, and I’d like you to come to the front. Erik may move behind the counter. And we put the scrambled cubes exactly – Erik, where should the cubes be, on the number, or in front of it?

Erik: Doesn’t matter.

Kiwi: Just put it in front of it.

Kiwi: 9, you have got the number one, my one is number 10

Random guest appearing, saying “I got another one!”

Kiwi: That’s impossible! No, no, no, no, no. That’s, that’s im … no! But I only have, I only have, I just need these; but we could put them behind the others. Let’s just put it there.
What the hell was this? Guys, what are you doing with me?

Erik: I can’t do all these cubes in 1 minute . . .

Kiwi: No, no, no, I was just talking about, it’s very nice of you. No, stay here, now that you are here … Who are you?

G1: I’m Björn.

Kiwi: And . . .

G2: I’m Gregor.

Kiwi: Do you wanna say “hi” to someone? It’s your chance, now you’re on TV! Do it.

G2: I greet all my friends and family!

G1: All viewers at home.

Kiwi: Nice! You know what? I’ll give you the cubes, take them with you!

G2: Thank you, thank you!

Kiwi: Thank YOU, thanks!
I don’t want you to think we cheated, these are the cubes WE scrambled, I witnessed it, we scrambled them officially
[so green on front? ;)]. We just use them.
So here we go: 90 seconds, if Erik manages to do 6 cubes, it would be a new record.

Erik: Sorry, but may I put my favorite cube to the front?

Kiwi: Yeah, you’re welcome.

Erik: Because the others are a little bit worse.

Kiwi: But they all look the same! No, okay.

Erik: I can see the difference.

Kiwi: Okay.

Erik: So, these are my favorite cubes in the beginning.

Kiwi: Erik, should we be really quiet, or should we cheer for you very much?

Erik: Everything is fine, as long as you don’t talk to me [while I’m solving].

Kiwi: I wouldn’t talk to you anyway. Should I do a countdown, do you need it?

Erik: No, it works.

Kiwi: No, I’ll just shut up. Okay.

Erik: No, but if you’d like to . . .

Kiwi: Okay, 90 seconds, there [at the top] is a countdown, 6 cubes. Attention!
“An die Würfel, fertig, los!”

[Engl. “ready, steady, go” is “auf die Plätze, fertig, los!” in German, so it would be something like „cuby, steady go“, l’d guess]

Ke$ha – Tik Tok

Kiwi: First one is done – go, Erik, go!

Kiwi: Yes, the second one!

Kiwi: Now there’s one minute left.

Kiwi: 3rd.

Kiwi: 4, just 36 seconds left, go Erik!

Kiwi: 5

Kiwi: 7,6,5,4,3,2,1 Stop!

Kiwi: 1,2,3,4,5,6 – Recooooord!
Yes!
And because Germany and the Netherlands are best friends, you’ll finish this one. I wanna see it one more time.

Erik: It was nearly done.

Kiwi: Done, Erik Akkersdijk, thank you! And all the best for the world championships!

Erik: Thanks!

Kiwi: Hopefully Arjen Robben isn’t hurt that bad and can compete [so she’s talking about soccer again]
Thank you!

Erik laughs . . .

If there are any mistakes, talk to me ;).

Last edited:

coinman

WCA
2005GUST02
Wouldn't "auf die Plätze, fertig, los" better be translated as "on your marks, ready, go"? But what do i know, i'm from sweden have forgotten most of my school german :D

I think i understand about 25-30% of what is said in this video.

GermanCube

WCA
2010SCHR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wouldn't "auf die Plätze, fertig, los" better be translated as "on your marks, ready, go"? But what do i know, i'm from sweden have forgotten most of my school german :D

I think i understand about 25-30% of what is said in this video.

If you translate it word by word, probably yes.
I checked it now and "ready, steady, go" should be alright . . .

Wow!~I don't know what they say!

Read my translation, maybe? ;)

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Hey,

I have finished my translation, here we go:

Time for records at the „ZDF Fernsehgarten“ [ZDF is a German TV channel, Fernsehgarten means something like TV garden and is a TV show hosted by Andrea Kiewel called “Kiwi”].
I asked the audience at the “Lerchenberg” to scramble these magic cubes really good. And, as you probably expected, dear viewers at the “Lerchenberg” or at home, now it’s time to get these things in the right order very, very fast. Namely – Heads Up! – 6 pieces in 90 seconds. These are just 15 seconds per cube!
Okay, we [the Germans] are going to be World Champions at soccer [or football, depends on where you live], but he [Erik] is the Dutch cubing grandmaster. A warm welcome to Erik Akkersdijk!
Music plays; she’s saying “hi” to Erik, and decides to move in front of the table

Kiwi: You gotta get a look at him. I think he could wear this [probably a compliment]. It matches to the cube, so to speak. Erik, you are the current world record holder since 2008, but [only] for one cube. What is the world record time, how much time do you need to get the thing right?

Erik: So, my best time at a competition, it was in Czech Republic in 2008, it was 7.08 seconds.

Kiwi: Seven point 08 seconds, can I get an applause for that? How is this possible?

Erik: Yeah, of course there is a system, everyone could learn it. But, of course it is difficult to perform the system as fast as possible.

Kiwi: Did you ever really figured out how it works, or did you just – like everyone else – learn all the steps by heart?

Erik: Yes, so the people in 1980 were able to figure it out by themselves . . .

Kiwi: By “the people” he’s certainly talking about me, I was an adult in 1980 [quiet pointless to say]

Erik: So for me it was also a little bit difficult, I also learned it from someone else . . .

Kiwi: Yes

Erik: and today you could just learn it from the internet.

Kiwi: How many moves do you need to finish the thing?

Erik: So for my method I need about 55 moves per cube, but when I have a little more time to study it, I could do 30 moves per cube.

Kiwi: Good, I gave 9 cubes to my audience, and I’d like you to come to the front. Erik may move behind the counter. And we put the scrambled cubes exactly – Erik, where should the cubes be, on the number, or in front of it?

Erik: Doesn’t matter.

Kiwi: Just put it in front of it.

Kiwi: 9, you have got the number one, my one is number 10

Random guest appearing, saying “I got another one!”

Kiwi: That’s impossible! No, no, no, no, no. That’s, that’s im … no! But I only have, I only have, I just need these; but we could put them behind the others. Let’s just put it there.
What the hell was this? Guys, what are you doing with me?

Erik: I can’t do all these cubes in 1 minute . . .

Kiwi: No, no, no, I was just talking about, it’s very nice of you. No, stay here, now that you are here … Who are you?

G1: I’m Björn.

Kiwi: And . . .

G2: I’m Gregor.

Kiwi: Do you wanna say “hi” to someone? It’s your chance, now you’re on TV! Do it.

G2: I greet all my friends and family!

G1: All viewers at home.

Kiwi: Nice! You know what? I’ll give you the cubes, take them with you!

G2: Thank you, thank you!

Kiwi: Thank YOU, thanks!
I don’t want you to think we cheated, these are the cubes WE scrambled, I witnessed it, we scrambled them officially
[so green on front? ;)]. We just use them.
So here we go: 90 seconds, if Erik manages to do 6 cubes, it would be a new record.

Erik: Sorry, but may I put my favorite cube to the front?

Kiwi: Yeah, you’re welcome.

Erik: Because the others are a little bit worse.

Kiwi: But they all look the same! No, okay.

Erik: I can see the difference.

Kiwi: Okay.

Erik: So, these are my favorite cubes in the beginning.

Kiwi: Erik, should we be really quiet, or should we cheer for you very much?

Erik: Everything is fine, as long as you don’t talk to me [while I’m solving].

Kiwi: I wouldn’t talk to you anyway. Should I do a countdown, do you need it?

Erik: No, it works.

Kiwi: No, I’ll just shut up. Okay.

Erik: No, but if you’d like to . . .

Kiwi: Okay, 90 seconds, there [at the top] is a countdown, 6 cubes. Attention!
“An die Würfel, fertig, los!”

[Engl. “ready, steady, go” is “auf die Plätze, fertig, los!” in German, so it would be something like „cuby, steady go“, l’d guess]

Ke$ha – Tik Tok

Kiwi: First one is done – go, Erik, go!

Kiwi: Yes, the second one!

Kiwi: Now there’s one minute left.

Kiwi: 3rd.

Kiwi: 4, just 36 seconds left, go Erik!

Kiwi: 5

Kiwi: 7,6,5,4,3,2,1 Stop!

Kiwi: 1,2,3,4,5,6 – Recooooord!
Yes!
And because Germany and the Netherlands are best friends, you’ll finish this one. I wanna see it one more time.

Erik: It was nearly done.

Kiwi: Done, Erik Akkersdijk, thank you! And all the best for the world championships!

Erik: Thanks!

Kiwi: Hopefully Arjen Robben isn’t hurt that bad and can compete [so she’s talking about soccer again]
Thank you!

Erik laughs . . .

If there are any mistakes, talk to me ;).
Thanks so much for that. How long did that take? Wow, really, thanks :)
Interesting to see some of Erik's personality, and she doesn't seem as crazy now I know the translation.

peterbat

WCA
2009BATT02
Thanks so much for that. How long did that take? Wow, really, thanks :)
Interesting to see some of Erik's personality, and she doesn't seem as crazy now I know the translation.

I took quiet some time, but it was also a fun thing to do!

It was part of my motivation to show she isn't as crazy as it seemed ;).

Yeah, I was going to say... She was very energetic, but she was actually quite polite and nowhere near as dismissive of cubers as social rejects as, say, the dude from "Wetten Dass" (Thomas Gottschalk?). (Erik was that you, or am I thinking of Robin Bloehm?)

Well, she did kind of bash your sense of style in the beginning (completely unfounded, of course :p)

@Erik: Your German has gotten a lot more fluent!