• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

ERAU Speedcubing used scrambles from a previous competition - Incident Thread

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think this is too harsh; it's not all results being disqualified:
The WRC has decided that all affected results of ERAU Speedcubing Spring 2018 will not be accepted as official WCA results.
And it's definitely necessary given the situation. There's no way scrambles should be re-used, especially if there were any competitors present at both competitions.

But how will they determine what was affected and what wasn't? I'm assuming they must have caught it at the competition, otherwise it might have been a while before anyone noticed. Did they attempt to do anything at the competition after they realised?

I'm not sure if we can suggest anything to prevent this if we don't know how it happened. I've not heard of this happening before anyway, so it's not a common problem. Maybe scrambles should be in a password-protected folder, with a different password for each competition? That would completely avoid a wrong folder being opened.