• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Does this event format have a name?

WCA
2004ROUX01
Thread starter #1
- Competitor is given a paper with a scramble.
- 1 hour later, judge comes back with stackmat and scrambled cube, asking him to solve it as fast as possible.

Sounds interesting.
Some of you certainly already tried such a challenge?

For as far as I know, that doesn't have a name, so I propose to call it by one of the following: FMC+, No Cube Challenge or Roux Challenge. :p

But this appears to be quite a cool and interesting challenge, I'll try it once I have enough time on my hands. :D

WCA
2004ROUX01
Thread starter #7
I assume that during the hour, the competitor does not have a cube available?
He has a cube! Think FMC.

Just memorize reverse scramble?
Oh, right, too easy.
Well, let's say the competitor is given a scrambled cube.
By the way, even for FMC, we could scramble cubes instead of giving a written scramble.

Last edited:
WCA
2011LOWR01
He has a cube! Think FMC.

Oh, right, too easy.
Well, let's say the competitor is given a scrambled cube.
Maybe it could be something like, the competitor gets to have up to 3 cubes scrambled with the same scramble. The only supplies are the three cubes and some scrap paper.
That way the competitor has a few cubes to work through the solve with, and they would come up with a good solution, one which is short but also easy to perform quickly and fingertrick.

I can see how this might be interesting for people who are good with FMC.

WCA
2012WEEC01
YouTube
googlebleh
Or maybe the event could be a little bit harder if you didn't give the competitor the scramble. like, maybe the competitor gets a scrambled cube and just isn't allowed to turn it yet. It could be like a speedsolve, except with extended inspection so you really have to look ahead.

theZcuber

Premium Member
WCA
2012PRAT02
Or maybe the event could be a little bit harder if you didn't give the competitor the scramble. like, maybe the competitor gets a scrambled cube and just isn't allowed to turn it yet. It could be like a speedsolve, except with extended inspection so you really have to look ahead.
SpeedBLD

Plus they could use MTS

YouTube
HelpCube
Hmm... I used to play a lot of chess, and one the greatest challenges is to play without looking at the board. I was able to get about 3/4 through a game back then, but that's besides the point. What if we had something similar with cubes? Basically, a competitor gets a scramble, and they have to write down a solution (which isn't reverse scramble). The thing is, they aren't given a cube. They have to scramble an imaginary cube in their head, and solve it. However, rather than solving it in the fewest moves possible, the competitor simply must come up with a solution as quickly as possible. This would be quite a challenge, I don't think many people would be able to do this. Thoughts?