• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Does speedcubing damage your hands??

Inusagi

Does speedcubing damage your hands? If it does, I would really like to se a guide that show me how to avoid it...

Inusagi

I meant muscles and and bones...

I got a revenge in my face a time, but things like that is easy to avoid
(now I finnaly now why it's named revenge..) ;)

darkzelkova

I get tremors now... it is pretty sad. But I don't really think it is from speedcubing, speedcubing just intensifies it.

cricketNNP1109_468x290.jpg

and hes not even sub 20.

Bryan

Premium Member
WCA
2007LOGA01
If you feel pain, then stop. If you're cube is too tight, then stop. People get carpel tunnel because they're in incorrect positions.

N

newbiecubie

Yes it creates pain and can permanatly damage your wrist... BUUUUUUUTTTTTT... It can be avoided by using a powerball (look it up on google) A powerball prevents RSI, carpel tunnel ect.

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
NO , but it can if you use stiff cubes

in 2003 I prepared many speedcubes , I had to turn the stiff new cubes to make them smooth , this is very bad .

So if you use stiff cube it can be very bad for your hand, now I can play for hours with my 5x5 or 3x3 without any problems.

If you do get pain you must use ice to cool down the mussles else they may damage the nerve in your hand (carpaltunnel)

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01
It shouldn't. I have only hurt myself with the (sharp) cheap chinese megaminx

I spent a few minutes last night sanding down all the edges on my Chinese Megaminx. I still need to get rid of all the notches thoroughly. But now that I've a Mefferts Megaminx I'm tempted to just chuck out the cheap one :-/

The tiles on the cheap one keep falling off and can pop really easily.

Tim.

Inusagi

I am not sure what Carpel tunnel is, but that picture that rubiks to the third showed us. That didn't had something with Carpel tunnel did it? (that picture scares me a bit actually :eek:)

Inusagi

Yes it creates pain and can permanatly damage your wrist... BUUUUUUUTTTTTT... It can be avoided by using a powerball (look it up on google) A powerball prevents RSI, carpel tunnel ect.

Is spinning your wrist like crazy really helping your hands from getting damages?

N

newbiecubie

did you look it up? I know quite a few people that it has helped...

Bounb

Yes - I looked it up. I didn't get anything on why it helps. I'm not saying it doesn't help, I'm just don't understand it

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Speedcubing shouldn't damage your hands as long as you're not stupid about it. I.e. if something hurts, don't keep doing it.

If you have a smooth cube that's easy to turn and proper turning technique, cubing shouldn't put more strain on your hands than say playing a musical instrument.

Cubie Newbie

There are many day to day activities that you perform that, if repeated as often as a cube addict solves cubes, would cause significant damage to your hands. However, cubing with A PROPERLY LUBRICATED AND BROKEN IN cube should not damage your hands or wrists.

Cubing with a bad cube can cause both temporary and permanent pain, so DON"T DO IT!!!

Inusagi

Just two questions:
1. The 14th post in this thread isn't answered.
2. What does "BROKEN IN cube" mean?