• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Does hand size matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprout

My hands are small for my age (10 years) and I'm wondering if hand growth speed is slowing down my improvement in average (21sec). Pls answer, I really want to know! :)
^ ^
(0. 0)
<
(. )\. \
|. |. \_\. <-------Ugly wing ( no space for other wing)
^. ^
-----------

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
Your hands can't be growing that fast until you can't get used to their size. And what's with that owl?

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Godmil
Yeah, you could be ok, I'm sure there will be other parts of your solve that are more a limiting factor. Although there are mini cubes available if you want to give them a try.

MWilson

Get a scramble, save it and then solve it slowly without timing it. Pay close attention to what you're doing, and memorize the solve. As in, memorize the cross and just go over the F2L a few times to not really have to look ahead anymore. Remember the OLL and PLL you get. Then, do the scramble as fast as you can to a point where you're turning at your max speed without pausing at all. If you cannot get faster than your current speed, then maybe your hands are too small, maybe it's something else. Realistically you could probably get sub-10 on a practiced solve with small hands. Just do this once to get it through to yourself that your hands are not a problem. Don't make a habit of it.

(If you don't do CFOP just adapt what I said to your method, of course)

MostEd

WCA
2012BETA01
YouTube
MostED13
it matters for 4x4 and up
since usually people with smaller hands prefer ss4x4 for its size,
for me it doesn't matter, as long as its good i'll cube on it

edit:
also
i alsways though 7x7 is large... not until i got it, but my hands aren't big(like Dan COhen)

Last edited:

Eleredo

It proves that hand size does not matter. Look at them tiny hands solving a cube in 13 seconds.

edit: what MostEd says is indeed true though, it certainly does matter for 4x4 and up but seeing as OP was talking about the 3x3 (at least, that's what I suppose), I did not mention that in my opinion but I certainly agree with that. But for the 3x3, hand size does not matter.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
5BLD
My hands are tiny. I can't reach for eidoU2' without ungripping and I can't reach for pinky.

It doesn't seem to hinder me much...

rubikmaster

WCA
2011JANE01
YouTube
SpeedcubingTV
How big are your hands?You have two lines on your wrist,measure from the one closer to your hand.Mine are 19 cm(7.5 in).There are also already a lot of threads like this,so you can search for them on the forum.I think the size of your hands does matter but only if they are really small or really really big.So anything from 14 cm(5.5 in) to 24 cm(9.5 in) shouldn't slow you down or make you faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.