• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Does anyone else just memorize the whole cube+colors for 3BLD? I do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm still unsure. I'll concede that this was probably a genuine blind solve, so congrats.

Although the scramble was wrong, and it looks like there's a possibility that you could be peeking underneath the blindfold (but it looks like a bit of a stretch.) But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here.

There's still no way to tell if this is just a speed BLD solve where you have planned the solution ahead of time, or whether you have a perfectly formed mental representation from simply memorizing the sticker positions.

I think it's just a standard speed BLD, judging from the fact that the memo/execution splits haven't improved at the same rate over the course of the year, and the confusion of all of this has come from you describing something which we know as speed BLD and you know as being something new.

Again, I used a technique that allows the user to memorize a 52 card deck in thirty eight seconds (current world record) and multiple universities have been investigating. BLD single, double or triple piece swaps (commutators) on a Rubik's cube can't compete.

I still want you to explain this comment.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't understand what this is supposed to mean, can someone help me out?

Matyas Kuti is the reason we use BLD blockers in competition. He peaked under his blindfold to get world records, but when blockers were used, couldn't reproduce results (like in this video). After that, WCA regulations were updated to require blockers for all BLD events.

It's also why most of us know that the type of blindfold OP is using is super easy to peak under. During execution, he's making some gestures that could be construed as peaking. Thus, I remain unconvinced.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Matyas Kuti is the reason we use BLD blockers in competition. He peaked under his blindfold to get world records, but when blockers were used, couldn't reproduce results (like in this video).

It's also why most of us know that the type of blindfold OP is using is super easy to peak under. During execution, he's making some gestures that could be construed as peaking. Thus, I remain unconvinced.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you bet your friend or someone that you couldn't get someone here to reconstruct a beginner method solve, well, you won your bet. But here it goes:

https://alg.cubing.net/?setup=U2_R2..._CP U_U_y_Rw2_R2_U-_Rw-_R_U2_Rw_R-_U-_Rw2_R2

Lots of unnecessary rotations here that seem to indicate physically looking around the puzzle. A whole z or x rotation might be exaggeration, but I wanted to indicate when this was obviously happening. Lots of mistakenly placed corners/edges too early on, only noticed when pieces came "into view" of the solver. Sorry, but I'm still rather suspicious of this.

But again, I'm personally less interested in you being able to do this and more interested in how your memory method would work. Specifically, what about your memory method makes it necessary to do move sequences like:
  • U U U y' U y'
  • y' y' y y y'
  • y y' y y' U' U y2 U U
  • y' y' U2 U' U' y
These sequences make it seem as if you are actually looking at the cube. If you're looking at a visualization of a cube in your mind, why all the U moves and rotations physically? Can you not do this mentally without physically manipulating a cube?

Megaminxer

YouTube
Visit Channel
If you bet your friend or someone that you couldn't get someone here to reconstruct a beginner method solve, well, you won your bet. But here it goes:

https://alg.cubing.net/?setup=U2_R2_F2_U2_B-_F2_U2_L2_D-_R-_D_B_L-_F-_L_R-_B-_R-_B&scheme=japanese&alg=L2_F_R-_F-_y_R_U_R-_U_L2_y2_L_//cross y-_R_U_R-_U-_U_y-_R_U_R-_//1st_corner y-_R_U_R-_U-_L-_U_L_//2nd_corner U2_//breathe R_U-_R-_U_U_U_y-_U_y-_L-_U_L_//almost_messed_up L-_U-_L_d-_L-_U_L_//3rd_corner y-_y-_y_y_y-_U_R_U-_R-_d-_L-_U_L_//re-inserting_3rd_corner? d2_L-_U_L_//4th_corner d_R_U-_R-_d-_L-_U_L_//re-inserting_4th_corner y-_U-_U_R_U-_R-_d-_L-_U_L_//1st_edge y_y-_y_y-_//gentle_looks_at_the_R_face U-_U_y2_U_U_R_U-_R-_d-_L-_U_L_//2nd_edge y_y_R_U-_R-_U-_y_L-_U_L_//3rd_edge y-_y-_U2_U-_U-_y_L-_U_L_y-_U_R_U-_R-_//4th_edge U_F_R_U_U-_R-_F-_F_R_U_R-_U-_F-_//_LL_EO U_R_U_R-_U_R_U2_R-_U_//sune_plus_pointing_at_corners U2_R_U2_R-_U-_R_U-_R-_//LL_CO x-_x_Lw-_U_R-_D2_R_U-_R-_D2_R2_x-_x-_x_z-_z//hand_on_left_face_(indicating_"headlight"_corners) y_Lw-_U_R-_D2_R_U-_R-_D2_R2_x-_//LL_CP U_U_y_Rw2_R2_U-_Rw-_R_U2_Rw_R-_U-_Rw2_R2

Lots of unnecessary rotations here that seem to indicate physically looking around the puzzle. A whole z or x rotation might be exaggeration, but I wanted to indicate when this was obviously happening. Lots of mistakenly placed corners/edges too early on, only noticed when pieces came "into view" of the solver. Sorry, but I'm still rather suspicious of this.

But again, I'm personally less interested in you being able to do this and more interested in how your memory method would work. Specifically, what about your memory method makes it necessary to do move sequences like:
  • U U U y' U y'
  • y' y' y y y'
  • y y' y y' U' U y2 U U
  • y' y' U2 U' U' y
These sequences make it seem as if you are actually looking at the cube. If you're looking at a visualization of a cube in your mind, why all the U moves and rotations physically? Can you not do this mentally without physically manipulating a cube?

I applied how I learned to play BLD chess to cubing. I only have to "deal" with a few pieces at a time. My simulated cube looks like an actual computer simulation, I can't see every side at once but am also aware of all sides. This is just like in chess BLD. It may be inefficient but it was an easier transition for me.

I had to take down the videos because my parents said I can't show my face on the internet.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I applied how I learned to play BLD chess to cubing. I only have to "deal" with a few pieces at a time. My simulated cube looks like an actual computer simulation, I can't see every side at once but am also aware of all sides. This is just like in chess BLD. It may be inefficient but it was an easier transition for me.

I'll ask again: why all the U moves and rotations physically? Can you not do this mentally without physically manipulating a cube? Even if you are only focusing on a part of the cube at the time, why do you need to make physical manipulations to re-focus a mental image?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
woah really? are they on youtube? :D
I believe they're gone, and that's a good thing.

The norm of behavior for our community has been: if someone makes a mistake (such as lying) and eventually comes clean, admits their mistake, and truly apologizes (such as Feliks totally did), that person is welcomed back into the community and appreciated for their eventual honesty and integrity. It's only when the person refuses to admit what they've done that they are looked down upon by the community.

I for one am very glad this community works this way. People deserve a chance to be forgiven for their mistakes.

adimare

WCA
2011MARE02

You have to understand that unlike your friends and family (who I'm sure believe you when you tell them about your amazing mental feats), you're speaking to like-minded people here. We all cube, most of us can solve the cube blindfolded, many of us play chess, and many of us can play chess blindfolded, so you can't get away with statements like "I apply how I learned to play BLD chess to cubing". That's like saying "I know how to ride a bike so I'm probably also an amazing surfer, it's all about the balance".

If you ever take the time to learn speedBLD and realize how difficult it is to track just a few pieces at a time, you'll hopefully understand how ridiculous your claim is.

I didn't get to see your video, but judging from Kit's reconstruction you probably just stared at a cube for 45 min and then solved it by peaking under your blindfold. I also said before that a video of you staring at a cube for a few min and then solving it proves nothing, because there's no way of telling if you were executing your method or just devising a speedBLD solution, and most of us here could replicate that video using speedBLD methods:

Last edited:

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For me it looks suspcious when I look at the end of the solve: you watch the cube, do Aperm, you've noticed thats not good, again A perm, noticed it's ok, Uperm, and the duck thing. It doesnt convinced me and I think you look under the blindfold.

Megaminxer

YouTube
Visit Channel
Honestly I've given up with trying to convince people that it's possible because it's easting up too much time and no matter what I say some people will be skeptical. I would like to comment that while skepticism is okay, the personal attacks on my dignity were kind of uncalled for. I will let the idea stand, however. Everyone, feel free to attempt to learn/integrate or develop it farther. I want to remain an active and respected member of the community but it feels like I either have to renounce my method and say it's fake (which it isn't) or receive constant attacks. If people want to learn more about my method and be cordial about it, PM me. I am more of a collector than a Speed/BLD solver anyway and this was always kind of a side project for me, and I want to continue producing content on that subject, not spend that time filming a million solve videos of a method I know works.

Also, it was really, really cool to have one of my solves reconstructed by Kit Clement. Thanks for devoting the time to that, I find it incredible that people can do that with larger puzzles, where exact layers can be ambiguous at high speed, especially with solves like Kevin Hays' 7x7 wrs!

Last edited by a moderator:

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
it feels like I either have to renounce my method and say it's fake (which it isn't) or receive constant attacks.

I've explained above two possible ways that you could prove (to me at least) that you are doing what you say. I believe that what you describe is possible, I remain unconvinced that you are doing what you say you are doing. I'm not asking you to say that it's fake, I want you to prove it's real. If it's fake, then yes, admit it's fake, but I'd rather you prove it's real.

xyzzy

Thanks for devoting the time to that, I find it incredible that people can do that with larger puzzles, where exact layers can be ambiguous at high speed, especially with solves like Kevin Hays' 7x7 wrs!
Kind of off topic, but big cube reconstructions are just tedious, not difficult. If a solve video is difficult to reconstruct, it's only because of poor lighting, angle or video quality, which are all factors that would affect any kind of solve video, not just big cubes. (Max Park's videos often hit all three of these factors, which is kind of annoying.)

Status
Not open for further replies.