• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Do you use 2-side PLL recognition?

Do you use 2-side PLL recognition?

• Total voters

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I figured I would post this in the private forum, since I'm really only interested in fast cubers' opinions on this. (I realize that the private forum is not just fast cubers, but this poll is still safer here.)

If you do use it, post how fast you were when you decided to switch to using it.

Last edited:

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've never made a conscious effort to 'switch' and I don't think I've specifically learned for any case, but I guess I use it, yes. There are only like 9-10 cases max out of the 60-70odd that are *hard* :p

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I've never made a conscious effort to 'switch' and I don't think I've specifically learned for any case, but I guess I use it, yes. There are only like 9-10 cases max out of the 60-70odd that are *hard* :p
I'm the same as Rowan. I never made any effort to, it just happened with practice. I'd say I was around 16/17 seconds when I was able to do this.

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
I can only do 2 side PLL recognition from all orientations for the following perms:

E perm
H Perm,
Z Perm,
Both U perms
F Perm
Both J Perms
Both N Perms
T Perm

I am pretty sure can do the rest from at least two out of the 4 angles. I also did not practice this, it just can naturally with time.

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes.
I never really suddenly "switched" from not using it to using it. For some cases I could recognize it from all angles when I was a lot slower (~18 average), and the rest of the cases just came gradually.

Yes We Can!

WCA
2009DIEC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use it a lot.
I never deliberately learned how to do it or put any effort into learning it, it just came eventually as a natural result of solving experience.
E.g. one time I would do a solve, only see the F and R faces and do U2 G-perm - after the solve I would think to myself 'how the hell did I know that it was this G-perm?'
I guess I just subconsciously knew it from having seen the case hundreds of times before.
Yet I sometimes make mistakes like doing the wrong G-perm or mistaking a U2+Y-perm for an E-perm. These are the more confusing ones, hence in an official solve I'd rather spend like 0.2s longer looking at the case than doing the wrong alg.