• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Do you need to be ambidextrous for good fingertricks?

Are you ambidextrous?

• Total voters

speedcuber50

Hi!

I'm having trouble getting the hang of these fingertrick things. I'm so-so with my right hand, but with my left hand it's absolutely terrible.

Do you have to be ambidextrous for them to work for the left hand? If so, how do I get that?

Thanks,

speedcuber50

MorrisKid101

Crazybadcuber has a video about left handed algorithms. If you can do the sexy move (R U R' U') quite fast, practice continuously doing the 'ugly' move (opposite of sexy lol) L' U' L U until you can do it the same speed as the original sexy move. It just practice different algorithms with your left hand. Watch CBC' s video where he attempts them and explains what they are

yoshinator

WCA
2011HUTN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Crazybadcuber has a video about left handed algorithms. If you can do the sexy move (R U R' U') quite fast, practice continuously doing the 'ugly' move (opposite of sexy lol) L' U' L U until you can do it the same speed as the original sexy move. It just practice different algorithms with your left hand. Watch CBC' s video where he attempts them and explains what they are

Yeah... That's video's fake, he just flipped the footage.
Source: He told me in person at VOW13. (vancouver open winter 2013)

ben1996123

Banned
WCA
2009WHIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah... That's video's fake, he just flipped the footage.
Source: He told me in person at VOW13. (vancouver open winter 2013)

L.O.L. !

also, left handed fingertricks are useful but not completely necessary. I recently started practising leftyU2 so I can do H and Z perms and a few OLLs faster but its not going to magically drop your average by a second or something.

Sin-H

WCA
2007HUBE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Plechoss doesn't use his left hand in 2H solves at all. I use it, but I can't do U2 with my left hand (at least not in one flick). And Plechoss and me are both officially sub9 as well. So don't worry.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've always been an ambidextrous solver, but I haven't found it particularly beneficial. Switching between using your right and left hands for algs is essentially a re-grip, depending on the alg.

Regardless, I learned the L/R mirrors to all of my non-symmetrical algs. I'm right hand dominant, and it absolutely shows, but I try to improve the quality of my left hand all the time and it HAS helped. Especially the U2 flick.

I, however, and NOT sub 9... I'm only sub 25.

Last edited:

Xyphos

You don't need to be ambidextrous.
I do a Z sometimes if I'm not comfortable doing the alg with L moves. Just sometimes ..

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Several of my LL <RU> algs are mirrored front to back rather than right to left, so that they stay <RU> rather than become <LU>. For example Ra/Rb. Algs in <LUR> I mostly rotate by z into <RUD>.

F2L is where the uselessness of my left hand makes things awkward. I use my thumb a lot for insertions rather than my index.

WCA
2014TIUA01
Hi!

I'm having trouble getting the hang of these fingertrick things. I'm so-so with my right hand, but with my left hand it's absolutely terrible.

Do you have to be ambidextrous for them to work for the left hand? If so, how do I get that?

Thanks,

speedcuber50

I would think not. If this were true, most of us are screwed. :) Anyway, I tend to only use my left hand for L U2's and some strange pushing and pulling of U' during EO of roux

ilikecubing

WCA
2011KULS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am a right hand dominant solver.I can do most of the lefty F2Ls fast except for these.

L' U' L U[left sexy always slow for me :( ]
L' U L U L' U L U' L' U' L
L' U2 L U L' U' L
and all other F2Ls which have L' U' L insertion

I hate that I can't do the lefty R-perm and lefty J perm which then forces me to use the R U R' F... alg for R perm and R' U L' alg for J perm

OLLs like F' (left sexy) F and F' 2(left sexy) F

Any help on fingertricks for these algs would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Wassili

WCA
2013KORO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I reccomend learning the lefty U2 double flick. This doesn't really help that much in the beginning stages but mostly in PLL or sometimes OLL. It is quite useful as you won't need a regrip in some cases, and your algs can go very fast. For example, for the R Perm which starts with R' U2 R U2... I do the first U2 with my right hand and the second one with my left, like this I can immediatly finish off the alg with my right hand.