• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Do people even still use Dayan cubes? // Dayan thread

stormtrooper

WCA
2019POTO01
I am wondering this, because Dayan cubes are old. And I think a lot of people forgot and just moves on to modern cube companies such as Qiyi MoFange, Moyu/YJ, Gan, etc. I know for a fact that no ones uses Eastsheen anymore due to the fact that they don't compete with any modern cubes. I think that since Valk 2 is out, a lot of people are switching to Valk and not go back to Dayan.

I think Alexander Lau could be still using a 3x3 made by Dayan, I am not sure though if this is true. But he could be using a different 3x3.

xyzzy

The Valk 2 was pretty much the cube the killed the already struggling Dayan company, because Chris Olson stopped endorsing the Old Plastic Dayan 2x2 in favor of the Valk 2 M.
Fun fact: Chris Olson is one (1) person. Unless he's been buying literally thousands of 2×2×2s, I don't think he has that much control over the market. Also, his endorsement of the OP Dayan means nothing because, as the "old" in the moniker suggests, it's no longer in production. Dayan has been making literally zero money off that.

Actually, this thread offends me for a reason I can't quite put into words; it's sort of like, some famous guy said something about Dayan so you have to extrapolate from that and come up with ridiculous conclusions? what????

People don't use the classic Dayan speedcubes anymore because they performed worse in every imaginable metric compared to modern speedcubes. (There's that Zhanchi 2018 which is supposedly okay, but almost no one even tried it. Their reputation is kind of dead, thanks in part to the very poor reception of the Zhanchi 2017.) Chris Olson using the OP Dayan for as long as he did is a pretty extreme outlier; even before the release of the Valk 2, most people moved on to the cubes by Moyu (Weipo, Chuwen, Xinghen), Qiyi (Wuxia), YJ (MGC), et cetera. On the other hand, Dayan has still been producing other twisty puzzles, such as the Shuangfeiyan and Biyiniao puzzles, and certainly you don't have too many options other than buying those from Dayan, considering that they're unique designs.

stormtrooper

WCA
2019POTO01
Fun fact: Chris Olson is one (1) person. Unless he's been buying literally thousands of 2×2×2s, I don't think he has that much control over the market. Also, his endorsement of the OP Dayan means nothing because, as the "old" in the moniker suggests, it's no longer in production. Dayan has been making literally zero money off that.

Actually, this thread offends me for a reason I can't quite put into words; it's sort of like, some famous guy said something about Dayan so you have to extrapolate from that and come up with ridiculous conclusions? what????

People don't use the classic Dayan speedcubes anymore because they performed worse in every imaginable metric compared to modern speedcubes. (There's that Zhanchi 2018 which is supposedly okay, but almost no one even tried it. Their reputation is kind of dead, thanks in part to the very poor reception of the Zhanchi 2017.) Chris Olson using the OP Dayan for as long as he did is a pretty extreme outlier; even before the release of the Valk 2, most people moved on to the cubes by Moyu (Weipo, Chuwen, Xinghen), Qiyi (Wuxia), YJ (MGC), et cetera. On the other hand, Dayan has still been producing other twisty puzzles, such as the Shuangfeiyan and Biyiniao puzzles, and certainly you don't have too many options other than buying those from Dayan, considering that they're unique designs.
Good point, do you have any clue why Dayan has ran out of money, then made the New Plastic Dayan?

xyzzy

Good point, do you have any clue why Dayan has ran out of money, then made the New Plastic Dayan?
I think you might have misinterpreted my remark.

Well, we can only speculate on why they changed the plastic used, but it's most likely either (i) lack of availability or (ii) cost. (I've also heard a few conflicting opinions on whether OP/NP even has much of a difference, but I'll leave that to the experts.)

SiTeMaRo

WCA
2019TEOD01
4 months ago I was still using Dayan Zhanchi as my main... until I finally bought a Valk3.

You can even see my profile picture; it's a stickerless Zhanchi.

U

Underwatercuber

Michał Halczuk does, he keeps posting on fb about new Dayan cubes. Think he might be sponsored with them, if not then just oddly obsessed

CraZZ CFOP

WCA
2018HUGE02
If this is much better than expected out of dayan it might get them back in business. I don't know whether that would happen.

I won't go through my entire cube progression, but basically the last few were:
- Guhong (this cube made me really like Dayan)
- ZhanChi (a better cube with less popping, due to torpedoes)
- Valk 3 (this cube made me never go back to Dayan cubes)
- Gans 356 X (this cube blew my mind, and I have no idea how a cube could be better for me)