• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Do I need more cubes to learn better?

ferrnando

Hi, I'm new in the world of Rubik. I've bought my first cube 1 week ago and I'm very impressed about the addiction that it causes :D.
Is necessary to buy many cubes to learn better? do I need to buy more than one? I've a Moyu Weilon and I'm very happy with it, it's a little fast but in the cube shop the seller told me that I would get used to the speed of the cube, I've calibrated the tension of the screws too. For practice do you use the same cube all the time? or is it better to have many of them? the same model or many cube brands?

Thank you!

natezach728

WCA
2012SORI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You don't need more cubes to learn more efficiently. The main reason why people have lots of cubes is that cubes (depending on the brand and model) can't really help you anymore in getting faster. Personally, I use the same cube for practicing, but its nice to have like a backup cube just in case something happens. TBH its better to try many cubes and buy however many you want of the cube thats perfect for you. Sidenote : The Moyu Weilong probably isn't the best cube of choice at your stage. The Weilong is used by the top world class people. Maybe switch to a guhong v2 or even a zhanchi to maybe get to sub 40, then start using the wailing. The speed is a little much ; I'm practically sub 11 and i have a hard time controlling it XD

WinterCub3r

I don't think its really needed, if you are interested in looking for another cube just do a lot or research on it and get it. if anything it one more for the collection :) i have 6 of the most popular speed cubes and i only have one main of course (WeiLong v1) but it was still interesting to see all the differences with the cubes.

TinaIsAwesome

WCA
2012BLAC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are many reasons why some people have lots of cubes but it isn't to learn better. Everything you learn using a WeiLong you can learn using a Rubik's Brand. But I'd have to agree that the WeiLong is probably not the best option for you right now. It's a fast cube and isn't usually used by beginners. I would recommend looking into either a ShengShou Aurora or a YJ ChiLong/SuLong. Both brands make good beginner cubes but really it's up to you. When I'm seriously practicing I use about 10 different cubes but that's only because I hate scrambling so I scramble as many cubes as I can and practice with those.

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No. You do not need more cubes in order to become faster. More cubes are definitely nice to have however. You can experience more variety, and find a cube that you really like. Plus the more cubes that you have, the more you will be motivated to practice. It helps, but it is not necessary.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
You should get different SIZE cubes. At least get a 4x4 or something. But you don't need multiple 3x3s unless it's a stupidly bad cube. One good cube of each size is plenty.

Blurry

I personally feel that a speedcube of whatever #x#x# is necessary. Only one though, moving on from something like a Rubik's brand to a speedcube will constitute a change of ways and how your hands move, due to the easier nature of a new cube and how much different it really is.

Once you have a speedcube your set. I don't see any need for multiple cubes of the same size if your trying to get faster. You may appose that with simply finding 'your own cube' one that you feel suits you, but I would say with the right tensions any cube would be.

Once you start collecting cubes like many of us end up doing, it stops being a hard decision to pick what to get, and it more so involves cubes with good reviews and what you think would be 'cool' to have.
Obviously it's your decision, so just read reviews and see what the forum has to say!

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Having a lot of cubes is fun, and if you like to collect things... do it. I tried 6 or 7 cubes before getting the Zhanchi that I still use as my main. But none of the 15 or 16 cubes I bought after it have replaced it yet. Depends on how hard you wanna look, I guess.

hkpeople

i shudder at thinking about a beginner having to control the weilong... i swear that thing feels like it's going to pop out of my hand whenever i cube with it

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
i shudder at thinking about a beginner having to control the weilong... i swear that thing feels like it's going to pop out of my hand whenever i cube with it

I used a WeiLong from 50ish down to 25 average. It's only hard for you to control because you are accustomed to a different cube, so the Weilong feels too fast. If it's all you use, it's fine though.