• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Do I learn full oll or do I just do 2 look oll in coll?

Rusty05

So I can already do 2 look oll and I know all the pll algs. Do you think it would be better to learn the coll cross algs and stick with 2 look or do I learn one look oll?

Thom S.

Most of coll isn't worth it.
Yes and no. If you learn only the 4 easiest cases and they never show up, like many CFOP users unfortunitly do, it seems like wasted effort.
If you are going to learn either, stick with it.
Someone did the math and practically with current algorithms, COLL/EPLL is four moves more than OLL/PLL. If you need to do 6-11 extra moves to do EO, well, you can do the math.
I know full COLL and I love it, but I am in the minority here.

Athey!

COLL is great, but if you are doing CFOP then not that great, have you ever heard of Compound OLL?

btw, u should learn full OLL

Brandonius

WCA
2018TRUE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't learn COLL until you have learned full OLL. The order of last layer algorithms should go like this:

2 Look PLL > 2 Look OLL > 1 Look PLL > 1 Look OLL > COLL > Good OLLCPs / Good ZBLLs > Full ZBLL?

This is the order that will get you the greatest time save per alg set. COLL is helpful, but its a subset of OLL, it isn't useful on its own really and will only save fractions of a second once you are comfortably sub-15.

Athey!

Yes and no. If you learn only the 4 easiest cases and they never show up, like many CFOP users unfortunitly do, it seems like wasted effort.
If you are going to learn either, stick with it.
Someone did the math and practically with current algorithms, COLL/EPLL is four moves more than OLL/PLL. If you need to do 6-11 extra moves to do EO, well, you can do the math.
I know full COLL and I love it, but I am in the minority here.
Well, movecount is worse but doesnt means specifically it's worse, same happens with compound OLL which is great, but with worse movecount than even 2Look OLL, but still better

Well, COLL gives you the chance for predicting EPLL very easily, giving also the chance for one-looking LL (with pre-eo), but again, this is CFOP, lol, go for OLL, a CFOPer should take COLL as a complementary subset

Last edited:

Athey!

whats compound oll?
Compound OLL is a 1 look OLL but 2 algs OLL, the way it is done is by orienting edges without disturbing corners, so you can recognize the misoriented edges, + corners orientation, and imagine all edges are oriented already, by doing this, you only do (alg for edges)(alg for corners), everything without pauses.

It is worse than full OLL (so you would end up learning full OLL anyway)
But i would say it is better than the 2 look OLL since you are not recognizing twice
Also the movecount is worse cause of edges algs, but you do everything without pauses, so it is worth it

Last edited: