• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Do fingertricks come naturally?

Feryll

When you have been cubing for a while, do your fingers slowly "mold" themselves into the technique for fingertricking? Or is learning fingertricks as robotic as memorising and practicing OLL algorithms?
Also, do fingertricks make your hands less sore after a day of cubing? My hands really started to hurt after I started doing averages for my v cube 6 and v cube 7 for two days. But I'm asking about the 3x3 fingertricks for now. Thanks.

Chaos2011

WCA
2009WARN01
I more or less come up with my own. I seem to have a T perm finger trick that no one has and when I show people it at comps they seem to love it

josmil1

I've been cubing for a year and in my opinion I think its more robotic. I still don't have the hang of it even after practicing the basics. R U R' U'

daniel0731ex

well, you just need to practice the sexy move to learn the U and R moves. the rest will come naturally as you practice.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
For me it came pretty naturally. Having a cube that moves well helps a lot - as I practiced I just naturally started doing things to conserve movements (e.g. instead of moving my whole hand to turn U after R, I figured out how to push or pull the U layer with a finger instead). Watching other speedcubers helped too, but I never sat down and consciously focused on learning and improving fingertricks.

aznmortalx

Yeah. I learned about them and decided to try it out. Once getting used to the idea of pushing sides with one finger, it became really natural and I only had to think on fancy combo finger tricks.

Provectus

Once I learned that you should use fingers instead of the whole hand to turn faces, fingertricks came naturally. There is one exception though. It's the U2 trigger. That one needed some practice.

WCA
2009HONI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ya, fingertricks come naturally pretty much for me. people say I have fast slice moves i dunno why >_> so probably no one taught me me slicing speeeeeeds because no one faster than me uses me methodz.

Rob2109

Finger tricks came pretty natuarally after watcing some of the uber fast cubers on Youtube, it helps that i'm a pianist though. Find tricks that are comfortable for you and practice them loads really, you'll see a difference in no time.

deadalnix

WCA
2008SECH01
Some come naturaly, but some doesn't because they are too far away for natural move. Double trigger for U2 is an exemple.

The bad point is that this is really difficult to change a finger trick when you have one. So be careful to learn the trick when you learn a new alg, like double trigger. Others will come naturaly (RU stuffs for exemple).

vgbjason

Fingertricks are very natural to me. After doing an algorithm for a little while i just get used to doing it faster and faster until i look back and realize i'm using fingertricks at all. lol

not sure how much that last sentence made sense. but i'll stick with it

rubiknewbie

Some parts are intuition and practice. Your fingers "mold". Other parts are logic, you learn how to turn and place your hands differently.

sooland

WCA
2009CHAN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
first, have a good cube. Practice sexy move and sledge hammers or U2 R2 slowly, and pick up the pace. it should feel natural after some devoted practice time. Then, imply U's in your solves, and R's. If you use a thumb, stop, and redo it with fingers. It will slowly come to you.

Feryll

Thanks for the responses, but I feel as if I misphrased the question a little. What else I was trying to say was "Can you learn fingertricks just by cubing a lot (by your self)." Or do you have to read in depth pages on how to do it? I'm in the middle of completely memorizing PLL, learning the sune and dot OLLs and trying to learn the Fridrich f2l (I learned by Dan, but I suppose I wouldn't be here if I hadn't watched his video :) )

Imperatrix

WCA
2010ALVA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
They do come naturally after a bit but for my case, I do more finger tricks on my right hand rather than my left (my left I end up using my wrist altogether). What you do is all about preference and whatever you feel comfortable with.

Want to hide this ad and support the community?