• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Do cubes get old

The Torrent

do cubes get old? Does it ever get to a point in a cubes life where you go ‘this cube is too old now, I need a new one’, or do cubes only get better as they get more and more ‘broken in’

Hazel

Premium Member
do cubes get old? Does it ever get to a point in a cubes life where you go ‘this cube is too old now, I need a new one’, or do cubes only get better as they get more and more ‘broken in’
eventually they get worn out, when thousands and thousands of solves are done on them, and they get sluggish and worse. At that point it's a good idea to get a new main.

MiaSponseller

WCA
2017SPON01
YouTube
Visit Channel
They get broken in but sometimes after they get there, their performance starts to go downhill. My gan air was great for awhile but then the nuts started to wear out. The plastic was also starting to get really soft feeling.

The Torrent

eventually they get worn out, when thousands and thousands of solves are done on them, and they get sluggish and worse. At that point it's a good idea to get a new main.
Hmm... so if you practice 10 minutes a day, lets say that 20 solves in about 3 months you'll have almost 2k solves, does that mean you'd need a new cube every 3 months??

I'm asking because i'm thinking of investing in a Gans 356 air sm, and its really expensive, so i don't want to have to buy another one, or should i just go a bit cheaper and get something like a non-magnetic valk if its going to wear out??

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm... so if you practice 10 minutes a day, lets say that 20 solves in about 3 months you'll have almost 2k solves, does that mean you'd need a new cube every 3 months??

I'm asking because i'm thinking of investing in a Gans 356 air sm, and its really expensive, so i don't want to have to buy another one, or should i just go a bit cheaper and get something like a non-magnetic valk if its going to wear out??
He means closer to the range of 100 of 1000s not just a few 1000.

WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
Visit Channel

I've done about 3000 solves on my gan air SM already and it's still fine. I could probably estimate at about 20,000-30,000 it may need a clean or good core lube up or something.

EmperorZant

WCA
2015LAUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Of course cubes get old! After their plastic is worn, their corners stop cutting, and lube just makes them slip out of your hands, they spend the rest of their poor cube lives in the Feliks Memorial Home for Cubing Wasters of Life and Limb. The only cubes that have been known to actually die, on record, are 3x3's (when strangled, melted, crushed, or blown to pieces) and Feliks' Shengshou 7x7, hence the name of the memorial home. I mean, credit to Pink Floyd for that one, too.

AidanNoogie

WCA
2017MCKE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Of course cubes get old! After their plastic is worn, their corners stop cutting, and lube just makes them slip out of your hands, they spend the rest of their poor cube lives in the Feliks Memorial Home for Cubing Wasters of Life and Limb. The only cubes that have been known to actually die, on record, are 3x3's (when strangled, melted, crushed, or blown to pieces) and Feliks' Shengshou 7x7, hence the name of the memorial home. I mean, credit to Pink Floyd for that one, too.
Those poor cubes:eek: lol

mDiPalma

i have used the same cubes since 2011, and they are exactly the same as they were back then.