• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

DNF or no DNF...?

DNF...?

• Total voters

Georgeanderre

Is this a DNF ... a centre cap comes out of the Eastsheen 4x4 but i continue to solve it without replacing it ...
is it a Double +2 a DNF or something else...?

Skip to about 5:50 if you dont want to watch me do an abysmal relay :p

Last edited by a moderator:

hr.mohr

WCA
2007CHRI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
You two should read the regulations:

5b5) If, after the solve, non functional parts of the puzzle are still defect (like a centre cap of a cube) or not fully rotated (like a 5x5x5 centre piece twisted in its spot), but the puzzle is otherwise unambiguously solved, the puzzle is considered solved. (discretion of the main judge)

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You two should read the regulations:

5b5) If, after the solve, non functional parts of the puzzle are still defect (like a centre cap of a cube) or not fully rotated (like a 5x5x5 centre piece twisted in its spot), but the puzzle is otherwise unambiguously solved, the puzzle is considered solved. (discretion of the main judge)
I haven't watched the video, but isn't it different if the piece has "came out"?

Last edited:

danthecuber

WCA
2011SELZ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This happened to me at the newark competition. The center cap fell onto the floor, and when the cube was solved, I scambled to pick it up, but then the judge said I didn't need it, but I still lost 3-4 seconds :fp.

Last edited:

peedu

This happened to me at the newark competition. The center cap fell onto the floor, and when the cube was solved, I scambled to pick it up, but then the judge said I didn't need it, but I still lost 3-4 seconds :fp.
That's why you need to know the rules.

I was judging when a corner piece of a 3x3 twisted in place during PLL. Competitor, finished the solve, stopped the timer and started quickly to fix that. He should have fixed it before he stopped the timer. Then he would have lost couple of seconds, but now he got DNF.

Peedu

anders

WCA
2003LARS01
This also happened to Iril during his 16/16 MultiBld WR. I was the judge, and when he fumbled after the piece, I told him that it was not necessary. Sometimes it is vital to know the rules! :)

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
5b5) If, after the solve, non functional parts of the puzzle are still defect (like a centre cap of a cube) or not fully rotated (like a 5x5x5 centre piece twisted in its spot)
Too lazy to take this to the WCA forum, and since we're talking about it here anyway...

1. Center caps aren't non-functional. They might not have a function for the turning mechanism, but they're still telling a color, that is their function.
2. 5x5x5 centre pieces certainly aren't non-functional.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Too lazy to take this to the WCA forum, and since we're talking about it here anyway...

1. Center caps aren't non-functional. They might not have a function for the turning mechanism, but they're still telling a color, that is their function.
Yes they do have a function but with one or two center caps off the puzzle can still be unamb...y solved.
Something to to with the centers being in fixed relative position etc etc

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01

I agree that the wording involving the 5x5x5 twisted center pieces makes this rule sound confusingly unclear. I think this issue should eventually be brought to the WCA forum. I would like that line clarified for the 2011 version of the rules, personally.

oranjules

WCA
2010DESJ01
do you mean a 5x5x5 wing ? because an edge would be DNF (and this is unambig...ly solved too, because you can't flip a single edge, and, if you didn't pop, the edge is oriented...)

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Come on, you know the WCA regulations are written vaguely and with mediocre English. Don't be an ass about it. If you've followed the discussions at all you know what this means ("non-functional piece" = "not part of the mechanism").

Going by the current WCA rules, a 3x3 needs to have only two adjacent centers in place. The situation for edge/corner caps is a lot more complicated. For the 4x4 caps, one pop is fine, but two+ is a DNF if you don't replace some of them.