• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

DIY 3x3 Kit

ksoule

I've been cubing for a month or so on a couple different cubes...did a little work on both of them and am quite happy with their performance; however, I just received in a DIY kit and assembled it and have found myself in a dilemma.

1) I have the middles screwed in as tight as they can go and the corners of the cube still pop out if turned quickly and lock up...I cannot screw it in anymore, though?

2) I can live with the above, however, I cannot get any of the caps to stay on! They are so loose that they pop off on their own. Wondering if you are supposed to glue them in or what...strange, it would be difficult to get fast times with the caps popping off.

Any tips? My first experience with a DIY cube hasn't been very fruitful.

Thanks in advance!!

longshot789

I cut a piece of paper to have a slightly shorter height and width as a cubie face, then I place that between the face and the center piece. I accidentally pried a cube face off...aka i dropped it while cleaning, and I found this method works great. I don't think its come off since, and I run through the cube a zillion times a day.

tenderchkn

That's the difference between springs and rivets. Springs have stretch.

I remember I couldn't stop popping with my first DIYs, but now the loosest cubes don't faze me. You just have to practice technique and accurate turning. Practice slowly with your cube, start loosening (quarter turn at a time) until you reach your desired looseness without popping every solve.

I've given my DIY cubes to a few people and they all pop within a few turns, while I pop maybe twice out of a hundred solves. Yeah, they popped my cube scrambling at a competition too. :p

You'll get used to it, have faith.

ksoule

Appreciate the advice! I will certainly try the piece of paper trick and stick with it until I don't pop it every solve.