• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Design a new theme for the WCA website!

Tim Reynolds

Premium Member
WCA
2005REYN01
YouTube
timbreynolds
Hi everyone!

We're going to be working on some improvements to the WCA website in the near future. As part of these changes, we are considering a new design, and we're looking for ideas.

The website currently consists of a few systems: the Results system (custom-built), the forum (phpBB), and the homepage (Drupal). These systems all have their own themes at the moment, but we would like have a more uniform look. This could mean one consistent all-encompassing design, or it could mean a different but similarly-branded theme for each individual system.

We would like to open this up to the community for ideas, and invite submissions for new designs. Design submissions can be intended for one system only, or can be intended for all systems. Whichever design(s) we like best, we will use on the WCA website.

We would like any designs to have the following qualities:
* Reflect the simplicity of the current Results system
* Reflect the motif of the current Results system
* Improve the usability of a system's design
* Improve the accessibility of a system's design
* Function well on mobile devices and small screens, as well as large

Submissions should only contain HTML, CSS, Javascript, and a minimal number of images. Submissions should also have minimal w3c validation errors, while still appearing as consistent as possible across all modern browsers.

If your design is selected for use, aside from seeing your design on the website, you will also receive a Rubik's plushie! Designs should be posted on a publicly visible website, and linked to in this thread. Designs should also be submitted to http://www.worldcubeassociation.org/design-submissions. We will be accepting submissions until Nov. 30, 2012. Feel free to submit as many entries as you like.

Please post any questions or comments here, or direct them to [email protected].

Thanks!

theZcuber

Premium Member
WCA
2012PRAT02
For the forums and homepage, should they be coded to match phpBB's and Drupal's design format?

This is a great idea though, I do think it could use some work

Edit: For w3c validation, what kind do you want? HTML, XHTML, or HTML5 (HTML5 is 2012 standard)

Last edited:

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
fatboyxpc
For the forums and homepage, should they be coded to match phpBB's and Drupal's design format?
I think that would make it easier on the people implementing the design, so yes if possible (and if not possible, keep that in mind since it might be used for phpBB and drupal)

For w3c validation, what kind do you want? HTML, XHTML, or HTML5 (HTML5 is 2012 standard)
I'd like to see HTML5, CSS3, jQuery, etc. Having an "up to date" system sure would be nice. Also, being a web developer myself, I prefer to see no validation errors (same with warnings, but warnings are fine if it's an absolute must).

Some other tidbits I'd like to see: UL's for nav, header/section elements, footer element (element, not just a div with a class/id of footer), etc. Basically true HTML5.

Disclaimer: I am by no authority in this matter. I'm just stating what makes the most sense.

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
cin9247
My design "skills" will be of no use, but I'd like to see the links on one's profile page being fixed. Their targets are just super confusing and apparently I have to relearn them every 6 months...

A few examples:
Puzzle on "History of World Records" --> records page
Puzzle on "Current Personal Records" --> puzzle section on current profile

Clicking on a personal record should actually link to some details about that record (like competition and date).