• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Define: Sexy Move

Jaysammey777

WCA
2010AMBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There was recently a discussion on this topic on this thread on pages 24 and 25. I would like to continue this discussion here.

What is sexy move?
Is it simply R U R' U' or is it more?
How would you define it?

Here are the definitions that me, TDM, and kclejeune have proposed.
wiki said:
The Sexy move, is a four turn trigger, most often something like R U R' U' but any sides may be used for the same sequence.
Which is what I believed, so the sexy move that I like to use is R' F R U'. But others disagreed.
Sexy move implies (move 1, move 2, inverse of move one, inverse of move 2)
which would essentially be a commutator.
It's R U R' U' or its mirror. If you ask almost anyone if R' F R U' is a sexy move, they'll say no.
It defiantly looks sexier ;) what about these algs?
R U R' U'
U R' U' R
R' U' R U
U' R U R'
L U L' U'
U L' U' L
L' U' L U
U' L U L'
When you repeat them, they're all sexy moves.
Notice they're all commutators :p
By your definition, sledgehammers are sexy moves!
"Four move commutators which are preserving of edge orientation"

That has been the discussion so far. What do you define sexy move as? If it's just R U R' U', why?

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's R U R' U'. It started from this video: (Edit: I guess it was mentioned before this video, but this is when it became very widely used, and a remix version was made.)

Last edited by a moderator:

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yo guys,
it was not that lucky, the PLL was simply a U2 move.
Arnaud has got it on video and it'll be uploaded soon.
I could basically save a pair while making the cross, and then the lookahead was simply very good.
LL was F then 2 times a sexy move and then F' U2 ;)

I was quite stunned cause the judge -mr. Roka- and me were actually joking like, will you do a WR ? About 7 seconds ok? :p

The nicest girl in the world which I met there was my lucky charm I think...
Watch out for my youtube channel for the video -you'll also see the great girl :D-
We'll drive home tomorrow evening.

I think of this

Last edited:

Lazy Einstein

Alg Ninja
Earth, Solar system, Orion Spur, Milky Way
Just R U R' U' because that set of moves is that trigger. Rotating the cube and using different faces would make it a different trigger in my eyes. The only exception would be performing a trigger with your left hand instead of right hand. So L' U' L U would be a sexy move from the left hand.

Here is how I see triggers(they are very important tools for me in learning algs. I even colour code triggers when I write them down):

R U R' U' and L' U' L U = Sexy Move (Red)
R U R' F' and L' U' L F = Sexy Flick (Green)
R' F R F' and L F' L' F = Sledge hammer (Blue)
R U R' U and L' U' L U' = Sune trigger (Yellow

Those are the most common triggers I use

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
These posts are even older. I daresay these are the first written mentions of the "sexy" move? These should be in order from oldest to newest.

Thanks Mike. Could you also let me know which parts of the video are to hard for him to understand? I would really like to get some feedback from a beginner. The reason I used Sune to orient corners is because there is no need to rotate the cube (I used to do x2, sexy move(s), D, etc) and because it makes the transition to a 4 look last layer easier.

abbracadiabra: I would like to turn this into a text tutorial, but I will have to get some webspace. And that means I will get carried away and make a 10.000 page cube-site with every method, alg, technique, etc. To protect me from that I just made the start of every video a summary. Pausing the video and writing the summary down (or printscreen) should be enough for most people.

Mike: Instead of R'D'RD I actually learnd FDF'D' 20 years ago. I never make a mistake with it and still use it for blindfolded-orientation in the U-layer. It took me 1 year of speedcubing to realise that z2 and sexy move does the same thing, but much faster.

Pedro: I hesitated if I should teach the "sexy move" or the 3 shorter cases. I decided sexy move would be much easier. But I also decided to tell them about the shorter moves later in the video.

fanwuq: 2x2x2 is more complicated because you have to do edges and corners at the same time. Doable for a beginner, but really hard to explain/teach.

I believe a transition like this would work best:
* Cross, Corners, Middle layer
* Cross, 3 corners, 3 edges, 1 corner, 1 edge
* Cross, 3 corners, 4 edges, 1 corner
* Cross, Intuitive F2L
* Cross, "Alg-based" F2L (for hard cases)
* X-Cross, F2L
* 2x2x3, finish cross, F2L
* Petrus F2L

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
A sledgehammer is a sexy move variant... It's basically inverse sexy move from x', or left handed sexy from x' y2.
Nope, the first two moves of sexy moves are either both CW or both CCW. The first move of a sledgehammer is CCW and the second CW. It's a commutator with both parts being 1 move, but that doesn't make it a sexy move or an inverse sexy move from a different angle.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
To me, R U R' U' is "The Sexy Move". All the other variants are something else, like sledgehammer is specifically R' F R F'. The only other thing I would call sexy move is the same moves but left hand. I never heard of "Lexy" but I would just call it a left hand sexy move.

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
To me, R U R' U' is "The Sexy Move". All the other variants are something else, like sledgehammer is specifically R' F R F'. The only other thing I would call sexy move is the same moves but left hand [...]but I would just call it a left hand sexy move.
My thoughts exactly