• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Decrease minimum character count for search words

Currently, whenever you search the forum, any word three characters or less is ignored. I can see why this was implemented, but it does get in the way quite often. Yesterday, I was trying to find a tutorial for solving the 4x4 using the Yau method, but since "Yau" is only three letters, it was ignored. Perhaps we could decrease the minimum character count for searches to two letters?

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Currently, whenever you search the forum, any word three characters or less is ignored. I can see why this was implemented, but it does get in the way quite often. Yesterday, I was trying to find a tutorial for solving the 4x4 using the Yau method, but since "Yau" is only three letters, it was ignored. Perhaps we could decrease the minimum character count for searches to two letters?

I think a better fix would be to just eliminate certain words from interfering, like "the," "and," "a," "an," etc. For example, if someone searches for "tutorial on how to solve a 4x4 with the Yau method," the search algorithm will look for any threads with some combination of at least a few of the words, "tutorial," "solve," "4x4," "Yau," and "method."

SenorJuan

I haven't tried this, but - could wildcard use solve this, eg. search for Yau*
It gets round some search problems on other forums.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Working on this now and will update back here once I've resolved it.

Miro

You can try search on google like this: yau site:.speedsolving.com