• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

decathlon/heptathlon idea

starfuxx

hi

recently ive been thinking about combined event competitions, like the decathlon in track and field. people competing in 10 different events, 1 at a time, and awarded different amounts of points for their performances. the person with the most points in the end is the winner.

i was thinking about a way to take this concept and move it into cubing. the first thing i thought about were what events would be included. i decided to make it a heptathlon (7) instead of a decathlon.
- 3x3
- OH
- 3BLD
- 5x5
- pyraminx
- megaminx
- sq1

i tried to make the events as broad as possible without having any obscure event that most people cant do (eg. 5BLD) because everyone that is competing in this competition would have to do every event. i picked 3x3 obviously, a BLD event, a bigger NxN event, one of the super fast events (2x2, pyra, skewb), and randomly picked the others.

next thing i thought about was the points system. i had a look through the history of the decathlon point tables and read about why they were made in those specific ways. each event has a unique score table. there are a few principles:

- as the performance gets better, the amount of points awarded gets higher exponentialy, because its harder to perform better when youre at the top of the table

- the points awarded in different events should be comparable to one another. for example, if someone is equally good in all events, and they get 700 points in 3x3, they should get around 700 points in the other events as well.

- the need for "scientific" score tables, with research in human physiology and sport science. a table could be created with factors taken into account like heart rate and oxygen uptake. (this one is very specific to track and field. but maybe this could be changed to puzzles theory with TPS or movecount or something else)

basically, this is how score tables are made:
- pick a random "slow" point. something that a beginner could achieve, and be worth 0 points.
- pick a random "fastest" point. most of the time this is the WR or something similar, and be worth the maximum number of points that you want (in track and field this is around 1000 points per event)
- add an exponential value so that the points increase exponentially the higher you go. (although this isnt 100% necessary)

i made a quick table for 3x3, where:
- 30 seconds is 0 points (i picked 30 because im not sure if anyone who averages over 30 would also be attempting 3BLD)
- 5.48 is 1000 points (the current ao5 WR)
- i didnt put in an exponential value because i have no idea what a good value would be. but i think its worth adding one in

so the equation is: -40.783(30 - t) = P
where t = time in seconds (eg. 12.34) and P = points

i havent made tables for any other events because im not sure what a good slow point would be. maybe 10 minutes would be good for 3BLD? i dont know

thankyou for reading this if you did, cant wait to see what you all think about this.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Official WCA Competitions 23