• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Dayan Megaminx Keeps Popping Screw on One Side

Syber Raith

Hi,

I purchased a Dayan Stickerless Ridged Megaminx about a week ago. When I unboxed it and was working each side a bit to feel how they turned, I noticed that the orange side got tighter as I turned it one way a number of times, then popped the screw when I turned it the other way a number of times.

I re-inserted the screw and tightened it mid way, then started solving. I have about 30 solves on the cube now, and the orange side screw has been popping increasingly frequently, and now pops once or twice during each solve.

I tried putting a piece of electrical tape in the hole of the orange side to give a little extra something for the screw to hold on to although it fails to help. Has anybody else experienced this with one of their megaminxes and does anybody know of a good way to remedy it.

Best regards,

SR

rumarfer28

How many turns do you tighten the screw?
I had the same problem with some faces because out of the box was too tight and with "correct" tensions the screws were too loose. I took out the springs and shortened a bit by squashing it with care of not to bend it. After that, I tighten the screws at least 3 whole turns and a half, the tensions were perfect and the screws stopped to pop out.
I don't know how people can set it without modding springs... I have had two Dayan Megaminx and I have done the same with both (with the first one I squashed the screws too much and was too loose, the second time I squashed them only about a mm and works fine).

Last edited:

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I had exactly the same problem with my first megaminx when I got it (exactly the same model, too). I wrote the Cubicle looking for longer screws, and they said to buy a new core. They sell it for $3.78. I got the new core, and haven't had a problem with it since. The problem is that the screw was installed incorrectly, and it stripped the threads in the core.

Syber Raith

Thanks for the replies.

I went to my local hardware store and bought a 6/32 x 3/4" round head machine screw for 11 cents, which was the closest thing I could find to the original screw. The new screw just fits inside the megaminx spring. I beveled the threaded end of the screw with a file to put a slight taper on it. Then I reamed out the washer and orange hub a little bit with a needle file so that they would clear the slightly larger screw. Finally, I reassembled the megaminx and it now works well. Two solves on it so far without any popping of the orange hub screw.

LjH5i50.png

Last edited:

trose0928

I have the same issue, but my screws are getting stripped,but I have not done anything yet because I have no clue what to do

Sent from my LG-H950 using Tapatalk

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I have the same issue, but my screws are getting stripped,but I have not done anything yet because I have no clue what to do

I think you probably need this core: https://thecubicle.us/dayanmf8-megaminx-core-p-2771.html

and 2 sets of this hardware: https://thecubicle.us/dayan-5755mm-hardware-p-502.html

There may be another workaround, but this is almost certain to fix the problem. Even if the problem is just the screws the chance that the core is undamaged is very low, and all these parts add up to $5.78, which isn't really that much.

trose0928

I think you probably need this core: https://thecubicle.us/dayanmf8-megaminx-core-p-2771.html

and 2 sets of this hardware: https://thecubicle.us/dayan-5755mm-hardware-p-502.html

There may be another workaround, but this is almost certain to fix the problem. Even if the problem is just the screws the chance that the core is undamaged is very low, and all these parts add up to $5.78, which isn't really that much.
Thanks! But before I order that stuff, but I am going to try other methods first

MoFoYa

all these parts add up to $5.78, which isn't really that much.

It's only more than 1/3 the cost of a new dayan megaminx :/
Amazon.com: DaYan Megaminx Black without Ridges Speed Cube Puzzle: Toys & Games

I have the same issue on a couple of sides on mine. It seemed to me that the piece has enough friction with the screw/washer to back the screw out with CCW turns... So far I've just been tightening it back whenever it happens; but, I think I might try a more permanent solution soon.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
It's only more than 1/3 the cost of a new dayan megaminx :/

True, when you put it that way. On the other hand, if your time is worth $10/hour and you can save 35 minutes by getting the new hardware versus messing around with something else that might work then you're ahead to get the new hardware. Of course, if you're going to count your time that way why are you messing around with plastic puzzles, but I digress . . . :)

MoFoYa

I think I might try something simple and fast first... Like a little piece of Teflon tape on the screw threads or something. Worst case, I have to buy a new core.

MoFoYa

I tried the Teflon tape on the screws and it was fine for 1 solve and then a cap popped again with the screw all the way out :/

Anyway, I ordered a new core/hardware today from thecubicle... I'll come back after I install it and solve a few times to report the results.

MoFoYa

Ok, I got the new core and hardware today. I disassembled my minx and started building around the new core. I noticed some of the holes were larger which worried me.

I installed the hardware with a little silicon lube and assembled the pieces.

It's like a new puzzle now! I got the tensions even and solved a couple of times... It turns much better and doesn't pop anymore! It seems the core/hardware replacement is a good fix; but, Dayan shouldn't send out puzzles we have to rebuild.

Thanks for the suggestions!