• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] DaYan GuHong 3x3x3 Version 1

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Excellent

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Above Average

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Average

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Below Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
WCA
2010LECA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is for reviews of the DaYan GuHong 3x3x3. You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle.

When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:

• Where the puzzle was purchased:
  • When the puzzle was purchased:
  • Thoughts on the puzzle:
What are your thoughts of this puzzle? Please vote one of the options above - but please only vote if you own and have used this puzzle extensively!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serious review!

Last edited by a moderator:

itzvince

DaYan GuHong 3x3x3 [Review]

Hey guys, got a new video up for the Black Dayan Guhong Lone Goose Review. Hope you guys enjoy and subscribe, I'll definitley be putting up more videos!

Eric79

YouTube
Visit Channel
[Video] Review 1 - DaYan ZhanChi or DaYan 5, with anchors

Hi,...

...ever since I got that big delivery from lightake two weeks ago but especially within the last few days, a lot of people where approaching me and asked me to finally make a review on the ZhanChi that I got (which by the way is exactly the same that Feliks had used to get his new world record - only mine is black not white). But I didn't want to rush things because in my opinion a good review can only be based on a longer experience with a cube - not just from a few hours or 1-2 days of usage.

So,
  • after I now have used my ZhanChi (1st test version) for exactly two weeks
  • after DaYan on last weeks monday already has started to produce the second test version which has anchors on the edge pieces (the 1st test version didn't have them)
  • after that second test version became the actuall final version for the consumers
  • and since I got my hands on a ZhanChi whith anchors
I decided that there is no reason to wait even longer and make the review I was asked for so often after the originally planned two weeks of using it. In my opinion there is just not that much of a difference between the cube that I have used for so long already and the ZhanChi with anchors - especially since I like the cube a lot more without them - that I would need another one or two weeks with the ZhanChi that has anchors.

So even though I haven't used the ZhanChi with anchors for long, I still feel that I am able to make a review based on 2 weeks of experiences with the cube; and even though my first impression of the cube (the 1st test version) didn't change over time, I'm glad that I made the review just yesterday rather than I made it right after I got the cube in the first place, just because I had no experience with it back than and only for to please people or some other strange reasons.

So, here it is. Enjoy:

Tall5001

Premium Member
WCA
2011METZ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
so just making sure i have this correctly..... you got the Prototype 1 and used that for 2 weeks. You then received the Prototype 2 and have not used that for very long?? but you dont have the ACTUAL consumer version being sold on the market in the box with th card and all that jazz?

4EverCuber

WCA
2012WATA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
so just making sure i have this correctly..... you got the Prototype 1 and used that for 2 weeks. You then received the Prototype 2 and have not used that for very long?? but you dont have the ACTUAL consumer version being sold on the market in the box with th card and all that jazz?

What I understood is that the prototype 2 is the consumer version. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

radmin

WCA
2010HARD02
I like the lunhui better without the torpedos. I noticed it when I removed them and put them in my guhong.
I still prefer the Lingyun slightly. It's hard to describe why. They are just different. My Lingyun is very tight and still fast and smooth so it rarely pops.

fiftyniner

lunhui (even without the anchors) takes a little more fingers effort to turn.
Lingyun - so much easy to turn. From the reviews so far, zhanchi is even better (fingers crossed)

Eric79

YouTube
Visit Channel
First of all, excuse me for not answering earlier: 1) I had major internet connection problems after uploading the video (which is the reason why I was able put the annotations in the video two days ago yesterday) - so I restricted myself to the most important things and answered only other threads or video comments of which I knew it wouldn't lead to further time consuming discussions. 2) There were a lot of imputations, allegations and making up of things that than where used like proven facts regarding my videos, threads and posts from someone, which I after three weeks of constant hooey (that happenend here, on youtube as well as on facebook) eventually got pretty bored of and my patience got overused. That was the reason why I chose to lean back (instead of immediately answering to this thread) and watch for a while what else would be made up or alledged - even after my internet connection was already working again.
Also I took care to get some proof from Daqing Bao regarding my statements. Not that I had to proof anything at all but with this you see that every further doubting that may come up is just BS. After this, I won't discuss the herewith cleared topics any more because they are... cleared. Also, with the information I got from DaYan you got proof that I only talk about the things that I know for sure. I am never just assuming when I talk about facts nor do I make up things and present them as facts - if I have no idea of something, than I just don't talk about it or at least I don't act as if it was proven facts.
In Detail the proof is regarding potential differences between the second test version and the final consumer version. Even though that is irrelevant - since I don't even own the second test version, and never said so - someone brought the "fact" up that I only had the second test version and afterwards possible differences were discussed here in my thread. So I feel the need to answer your questions and rectify those just made up facts. A kind of funny thing about that proof: After Daquing Baos answer was posted in short form on a facebook group, this someone immedietaly asked if the screws and springs also are identical. So even if there is proof that can't be better, the same someone was still doubting just to defend the status "first in the world". Also this suggests the assumption that if there was the slightest difference between the screws and springs of the second test version and those of the consumer version (which by the way is not the case) he would just again rant around. So we didn't bother to answer the screw/spring question regarding the screws and springs (but now you know).
You find this proof in xkevx's post right below mine.

I am sorry for this long prologue, but in my opinion it was necessary to let you know, so you understand why some of the following answers may be a bit impolite rather than nice as I usually try to keep it. And as long as he doesn't change his way of acting to me to how it was still until a month ago, I won't bother answering any further doubting posts from him after this anymore (unfortunately he does not realize what is wrong with his behaviour even after being told several times - so maybe I might let him know again in detail via PM or otherwise if I feel like it). Also all this here already answeres his question why I am not nice anymore towards him and why I can't just answer his questions as polite as I answer/-ed all other peoples questions and his before too. You know: What goes around, comes around. I really like to share what I know or help where I can but as an over 30 year old man I just don't feel like I have to argue with someone who tried to discredit me with weird stuff, insinuated things & handled them as given facts.
Ok, now the answers you probably have been waiting for:

How does the cube perform without the torpedoes?[...]
Without them the ZhanChi is great - which is why I like the cube better without the anchors as I also mentioned in the video.

4:30 - talking relatively quite? o_O
I wanted to write "quiet". "quite" in this context obviously was just a typo. And yes, considering that I was about 30cm (one foot) away from the mic, I was actually talking relatively quite.

Isn't the zhanchi with anchors the consumer version?[...]
What I understood is that the prototype 2 is the consumer version. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
No you both are right.
[...]if they are not it's just a little aad here and there.
I think Jeffrey sais that they were one or 2 retouch, but not enought so you can see a diffrence. Just somme thing so that their is a small diffren between each other i suppose.
Likw if I remember Jeffrey said that they is an small diffrence, just to fijnalise the prototype, but nothing major.
...now these presumptions turn to "facts":
[...]but the consumer have somme ajustesment here and there, but not a real diffrence.
Also i think drake above is right there might be a slight difference because he weights are all off mine is like 83g and 86g with torpedos his is like 90 something
^^For all extents and purposes yes it is, they made no changes.
jskyler hit the bulls eye. If Jeffrey said something else, than this is unfortunately not the first time he was telling something verifiably incorrect - no matter if on purpose or not... well, he usually apologizes if he is proved wrong... so no offence intended.

Which kind of 2x2 is this in the background at 3:03?
It is a modified Diansheng - and it is a great 2x2 (it alreday was before modification - ask Bobo11420, she has seen what it is capable of several times before and after). Several people said theirs was crap... so maybe I was just lucky or it is because I got mine from Haiyan - but for an about 4$ cube it is worth a try.

Nice review, sounds like an excellent cube, I'm glad I'm getting one :).
Thank you! And yes, it actually is an excellent cube - althought it all depends on personal preferences and others might not like it as much as I do. But yes, it became my new main after I was always faithful for over a year to the cube that was my main before.

Faz's prototype doesn't have anchors.[...]
That is right. I didn't say it had anchors... in case that is what you where saying.

No, you got it wrong. I never said a word about having the Prototype 2 and I have no Idea where you got this from. And yes, my two ZhanChi's came with (almost... but I just don't care) "all that jazz", even that which you didn't get with yours (the card).

in a way they are the same thing but technically they arent. The actual version comes with a Dayan card so if you dont have that you dont have the consumer version
[...]Because obviously the fact that you get a card or not doesn't really matter in my opinion.
4EverCuber's quote probably expresses most peoples opinion - also mine.
A little explanation: All of the arguments (why mine was not the consumer version) are based on "The actual version comes with a Dayan card so if you dont have that you dont have the consumer version", on the weights which are different or maybe on something Jeffrey told him (that he, Tall, will be the first who gets the cube. But Jeffrey also said that he would be the first selling it in the world - which also wasn't true). I really wonder where in hell Tall wants to know from what cube and "jazz" I actually have and what I don't have. How could anyone dare to handle it as a fact, that I had no card or box or any of that as long if that someone didn't take a look to what is on my desk? anyway, assuming Talls definition was correct in regards of a ZhanChi only being the original consumer version if getting the card with it, then neither his nor Jeffreys ZhanChi were consumer versions (Tall is assuming that mine wasn't a consumer version because I didn't show the card in the video). Tall only showed a photograph of the card which could be just from anywere out of the internets dephts - so his box probably was a non-consumer version box too? - and Jeffrey (just like me) neither showed the Box nor the Card in his review.
So based on Talls own definition, neither did he get the consumer version nor was his unboxing the first ZhanChi consumer version on cam and also his review was even less the first one on youtube. But since Tall probably will highly disagree with what I just concluded from what he said, I guess we can call the statement 'the cube is only the consumer version if it comes with a card' as nonsense.
And something else: Even if I hadn't uploaded my Review (I originally wanted to upload it the day after recording and editing) Jeffreys review was still released several hours before his. So all this premature bragging about being the first and searching for arguments why mine wasn't (unlike him there is almost nothing that I care less about than being first, because if anything, then for me it's quality that should be first) or why it cannot be the real consumer version that I have... with all these contradicting statements and definitions he only did one thing: He declared his own thing as not "the real thing" since it came without a card... "technically". Just saying.

[...]he weights are all off mine is like 83g and 86g with torpedos his is like 90 something
yeah they are i have the stickers on my cubes so idk why his are all wacky
I don't know how much stickers can possibly weigh...but his measurements also account for lubrication. [...] I hope they are because I prefer your versions.
@Tall5001: As said on youtube in the little riddle that I gave you and which you disliked so much (probably just didn't get - even though it is the easiest thing), that you couldn't stay calm and tried to insult me by giving me names like a little kid (you are 17 boy, you should start to act like 17) - check the facts and realize why my weights are correct wherefore this is neither an argument why my scale possibly has to be broken, nor is it an argument that I can't have the consumer version. And how can you be so persuaded to think that your scale is not "all wacky"? Maybe it's broken. No? Well... if it is not the scale... what could it then be? And a hint (*wink* *wink*): @4EverCuber, unless you use the cubes that Tall showed in his video, your weights will be more or less as I showed. And unfortunately - from what the statistics say - your cubes more likely happen to have the weights that I showed.

I'm really interested in this weight issue. There is a big difference between these two reviews mentioned above.
in what way?
Yes, in what way?

It seems to me like your motive in saying this is to maintain your status as "first in the world". First isn't necessarily best. In my opinion it seems he put a lot more time and effort into recording and editing his video.

Anyway, what about the pieces? He clearly shows a shot of each and every piece, could you not just compare the two? I think that would be a lot more definitive than pointing just to the stickers.

As someone else said, it's definitely not like this video is completely irrelevant if it is the prototype. It's still the same cube.
Good that you brought this topic up and even better (actually it is sad) that Tall confirmed that this was about "bragging rights", with another contradicting sentence where he is saying the opposite of what he used as arguments before - since he couldn't show something else but a dubious picture of the card:
It doesnt really matter except he just dont have the box or card so its not the consumer version. I dont really care its just nice to have bragging rights to something.
As said, it is sad that this was your drive... instead of using a new cube for longer than just a day (you yourself stated before that you usually use a cube for a week to be able to make a good review of it). Also - again - it's pretty impudent to talk about what I have or not as it was proven facts while it is only your fantasy.
If he can prove they are the same exact thing i will believe him but until then i wont. [...] also for some reason his weights more which i find weird maybe thats the difference.
I won't prove anything to you in specific any more - you squandered that with the way you have acted over the last weeks. But as said, I have proof from DaYan and as well es everyone else, you might take a look at it too. Kev will post screenshots of the conversation in this thread and translate the chinese to english. Any other user who can read chinese will be able to confirm Kev's translation.

As said, I originally planned to upload the Review the day after I made it because I wanted to upload the unboxing. But since I was just bored of hearing all these "mine is the first" and other braggadocio over and over again for weeks, but especially because of all the allegations and - funny but true - because someone actually asked me to make a review before Tall does, I decided to upload my video early. So instead of uploading the unboxing already last week, I will upload it delayed, today or tomorrow. I wanted to do this earlier but as said, my ISP was (and still is every now and then - it's UMTS) causing problems and since I don't have 2 months off and other a lot of things to do - unlike most of you schoolars - I didn't have the time to take care about the unboxing earlier.

Furthermore I am thinking about making a seperate video only about weighing cubes, showing and explaining the results, proper measuring of sizes,... Even though I pretty much consider this as highly unnecessary, a few people really might need something like that to understand why I get different results then they/he do/does. And no, it is not because of gravity - although gravity matters in general, it doesn't have that big of a bearing in this case. But before that, there will be another surprise unboxing also coming today or tomorrow ;-)

Last edited:

xkevx

Here the proof that the DaYan ZhanChi Test Version 2 is exactly that same as the Consumer Version even without any monir changes:

The questions I asked in chinese :" 煙頭哥,請問一下,第二版本的展翅是否和現在在市場的一摸一樣??? 謝謝您~“(in red box)
translated:" dayan(i called his nick), may i ask, is the version 2 of the zhanchi exactly the same as the one on the markets??
Unt89itled.jpg

He replied, "兩套模具基本上市一樣的”(in red box)
translasted:"both molds are basically the same."
P5200116.jpg

There is something i like to clarify here, the second version of the zhanchi is ALSO the final version. only the first version is a test product.
and what some people say that there is a second test version, those aren't true, although dayan was testing the new second version, it wasn't the testing model, it was the final model. as he was happy with the cube and DID NOT MAKE ANYMORE CHANGES to the cube.

4EverCuber

WCA
2012WATA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
@4EverCuber, unless you use the cubes that Tall showed in his video, your weights will be more or less as I showed. And unfortunately - from what the statistics say - your cubes more likely happen to have the weights that I showed.

Not wanting to add to the drama of this thread, first of all I want to say how sorry I am that this has happened. And I just want to add that my time here in the forum has been brief so I'm trying not to stir the waters.

Regarding my comment about the weights, I was by no means making an attack on your credibility or on the quality of your video. I was trying to express the fact that I prefer lighter cubes. So in that respect I liked the numbers Tall was quoting.

I have tremendous respect for everyone involved and have much to learn in the world of speedsolving.

Eric79

YouTube
Visit Channel
Not wanting to add to the drama of this thread, first of all I want to say how sorry I am that this has happened. And I just want to add that my time here in the forum has been brief so I'm trying not to stir the waters.

Regarding my comment about the weights, I was by no means making an attack on your credibility or on the quality of your video. I was trying to express the fact that I prefer lighter cubes. So in that respect I liked the numbers Tall was quoting.

I have tremendous respect for everyone involved and have much to learn in the world of speedsolving.
I used your post to make things a even more clear and to let you know that you most probably have the weights I showed even though someone claimed that they can't be correct or that I have some mysterious other cube and not the real one. Also I know that you were not the one who started this... so no worries, we are all good ;-).

applemobile

I have a v1 with lubix torpedoes. It is hands down the best cube Eva. If it wasn't white It would be my main, so instead I use it for Bld. It's incredibly loose, but still very difficult to take out an edge piece. I am looking to buy a black V1.

Yep, I'm a big Guhong V1 fan. I have all these Zhanchis (1 black original plastic, 1 black lubix zhanchi, stickerless and a white) but everytime I pull out my non-torpedoed v1 with 48pt edge mod and a bit of lubix, I think I should use it as my main. It's sad that my mind still tricks me into thinking that the ZhanChi has to be better because it's newer and more expensive.

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have 2 guhong v1s, an original plastic and a newer one
Where the puzzle was purchased: chinese ebay and at ohio fall 2011
When the puzzle was purchased: around june/july? and december 2011 but I got both cubes around december
Thoughts on the puzzle:
The old guhong is really nice without any mods, all I had to do was lube it.
I turned my other guhong v1 into a godly guhong, added lunhui torpedoes to it, and shaved off some other stuff. It was my main for over a year and is now my OH main. I switched my 2H main to guhong v2 just because it's slightly faster than the v1. The cube is super smooth, almost as smooth as my guhong v2 and corner cuts over 45 degrees.

aznanimedude

my guhong v1 was my main for awhile until someone decided to gift me a zhanchi.

i still switch back to it every once in awhile and remember how much i like it, it's just that...i like my zhanchi a bit more. if i ever did buy lubix torpedoes for it i'd probably main it or at least use it much more just so i can have super loose tension but no fear of pops (not that it pops that much, but still torpedoes in the cube are torpedoes in the cube)