• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] Cyclone Boys FeiChang 2x2x2 Stickerless

Cyclone Boys 2x2x2

• Excellent

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Above Average

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Below Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
QBAndo
Thread starter #1
This thread is for reviews of Cyclone Boys FeiChang 2x2x2 Stickerless. You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle. When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:
Where the puzzle was purchased:
When the puzzle was purchased:
Thoughts on the puzzle:

What are your thoughts of this puzzle? Please vote one of the options above - but please only vote if you own and have used this puzzle extensively!

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
QBAndo
Thread starter #2
Where the puzzle was purchased: cubezz.com
When the puzzle was purchased: Aug-2015
Thoughts on the puzzle:

Up to now, I only had a Moyu LingPo but I was not satisfied with its turning, as it had some internal catching issues that were really bothering me. So, I asked around in the forum what was the best 2x2 and also watched a lot of reviews of Dayan, Wittwo, CB, Moyu... In the end I decided to get a Dayan, which seemed to be the best but, as the price for the CB 2x2 was so cheap at cubezz.com and the reviews I had seen were praising this cube a lot, I decided to give it a try as well so I ordered one of each.

Out of the box, without any lubing or tensioning it is already better than my LingPo. It came a bit tight so it does not corner cut great yet, but it does not have any catching issues and the turning is very smooth and controllable. The colour shades are decent for a stickerless so that's not a problem for me, even though I prefer black cubes with my own sticker shades. All in all it's a great choice and probably unbeatable in terms of bang for your buck (quality vs price). Now that stickerless puzzles are comp legal, unless you really hate the colours it's definitely a very good option. I also got the Dayan (50mm) that now I'll have to break in a lot in order to make it great. This cube is amazing out of the box. Once I have used it a bit more, lubed and tensioned it, I will try to update this. I definitely recommend it if you're looking for a good and cheap 2x2.

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
QBAndo
Thread starter #4
Thanks for the review, helps decide. (sorry for no review I will be making one soon enough!)
Hi, sorry that I didn't update the thread in the end but once my Dayan was well broken in I didn't really care to look back to either the LingPo or the Cyclone Boys. I still use the Cyclone Boys for casual solving and to carry in my pocket, etc. That does not mean it is not a good cube and a good bang for your buck, as I said above, but if you get serious with 2x2 you will sooner or later end up getting a Dayan or another good cube that might come out in the future. I don't know of any, even though many people talk wonders of the new TangPo but others say it also catches as the LingPo and YuPo so...

Looking forward to having your review posted here once you receive it and play with it for a while.

I purchased this one a few weeks ago on Amazon, and it's been my go-to 2x2 ever since. I've likely put a few hundred solves through it.

First, it's a Cyclone Boys cube -- you're going to get a glossy, smooth stickerless cube with unusually deep and rich colors. (They still use the popular fluorescent yellow, though, which can be tricky to distinguish from white in dim amber-tinted home lighting.) The faces are slick and highly polished, which may give some folks grip trouble -- I've had no problems yet, but it's definitely not the textured, grippy stickerless surface you'd get from a premium stickerless cube, and that may be a problem for you. Turning will be a bit loud and clacky, but I note that the smooth surfaces make for particularly good flicking, and the cube seems to know when to stop after a quarter-turn, despite being non-magnetic. I'm not a flicker, but I can reliably tap a corner firmly and set off a controlled turn that lands where it's supposed to land...and given that I'm wrestling with some nerve damage in my hands, this is unusual. Corner cutting is surprisingly good for a budget cube, too; I manage 45-degree cuts reliably, and the cube feels quite content under pressure to turn a side, out of alignment.

I stand by Cyclone Boys' cubes as a decent budget choice, provided you're comfortable with the caveats. You'll be dealing with glossy-smooth faces (and may find these slick and tricky to grip, especially if your hands sweat), and you'll be dealing with loud, clacky turning. (This may be treatable with lube, but I've never lubricated mine, so I can't offer any thoughts from experience there.) If these aren't a dealbreaker for you, then I suspect you'll like Cyclone Boys' characteristic take on smooth, controlled turning...or at least, you'll like the low price point of trying them out. They have a unique feel, slick, glidey, clacky but not cumbersome...it's not for every turning style, but it's a compelling one, and definitely attractive to some cubers. (I'm one of them.)

Rather than suggest that the FeiChang is the best 2x2, I'll suggest instead that the FeiChang is a really good example of the Cyclone Boys cube's strengths, and a great way to discover what makes Cyclone Boys' cubes unique. If you're not going to like the slick, glossy faces, I imagine that you're most likely to be able to deal with them in a 2x2, rather than a 3x3 (or higher), as you have fewer cube elements to steady or isolate when rapidly turning. If you're going to discover that you don't like Cyclone Boys cubes, I suspect this is the one you'd dislike the least, simply for its larger cubies scale and ease of stabilizing the non-turning elements.

You'll either love or hate Cyclone Boys cubes. They're unusual, they're a bit polarizing, and they're not for everyone. But if you're curious, if you think you might like them...the FeiChang is a great introduction, and a solidly good little budget 2x2, besides.