• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Custom-Made Rubik's Cube Timer Computer Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronus616

WCA
2008DEBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
¤ Hey, I'm pretty new here. Actually this is my first post.

¤ But in my spare time I've been working on a custom-made Rubik's Cube
Timer program that records solves and sessions of infinite numbers of solves.

¤ Features:
- Inspection time settings.
- Different cube settings.
- Random scramble generator based on cube selection.
- Averages your times, dropping the highest and lowest.
- Fullscreen setting.

I prefer to use this time over something like JnetCuber or CubeTimer.com purely because I prefer the look and sounds of an actual program. If you would too download my timer from the link below and tell me what you think.

¤ Screenshot:
01CUBETIMER.PNG

I'm pretty sure it's bug free but there may be some small glitch I haven't found yet.

¤ Computer Specifications Required
- Windows 98SE, 2000, Me, XP, or Vista
- DirectX 8 or higher
- 16MB RAM

Download Link:
CubeTimer

Last edited:

azrian

I like it a lot!
Exactly what I was looking for! ^^
Thanks a lot and keep up the good work! :rolleyes:

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
CCT can be used without a stackmat. And it's cross platform, open source, and very feature rich.

Last edited:

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Timer program that records solves and sessions of infinite numbers of solves.
That seems like a preposterous claim, considering that most programs only run on systems with finite memory.

I prefer to use this time over something like JnetCuber or CubeTimer.com purely because I prefer the look and sounds of an actual program.
JnetCube?
If that's not a program to you, what is? What's a look of a program? (And why does a program need certain sounds? Note that CCT has some good sound features now.
If you don't like that JAR files are self-executable, state that. However, note that jars run on more systems, and people like me are more inclined to use them than a completely unqualified .exe.

If you would too download my timer from the link below and tell me what you think.
I won't, because of I have no idea what you .exe will do, and it claims to do no better than CCT, which I like.

I'm pretty sure it's bug free but there may be some small glitch I haven't found yet.
That's a pretty bold statement. And if you don't know what unfound glitches look like, why couldn't they be bugs?

- Windows 98SE, 2000, Me, XP, or Vista
Uh-huh.

- DirectX 8 or higher
Why? It might make it easier to code, but it doesn't seem necessary to require for a simple timer program.

its for those who dont have a stackmat - like me....
What's that supposed to mean? CCT, JNet, etc. all run without a timer.

I don't want to discourage you from working more - in fact, such a project is great practice. But CCT already does everything you're trying to do, and if you want to work on a timer, you can learn to customize it.

Really, if you want to make something useful, there's a lot more you can do than a timer like this. ;)

ConnorCuber

WCA
2008GRIE01
I don't like this timer at all, it has annoying sound effects whenever I do anything, inspection HAS to be between 3 and 15 seconds, you can't turn inspection off. The scrambles (for 2x2 atleast) are horrible, here is one I just got:
L B2 L2 U B U' L D' R' F2 B2 F2 R2 D F D L' F2 B2 U

Also, the scrambles are way too short for 4x4 and 5x5, they're 20 moves long. Sorry, but this was way below par.

Cerberus

WCA
2007CHRI03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Good work, but still a lot to do..
Here are some points I would recommend:
most important, work on the scrambles!!! 3x3 Scramble: U' F2 D2 U2 L2 F D' B' L B L2 B' U B2 F2 B2 F2 B' U' D2
start countdown with spacebar, cancel countdown and start solve with spacebar (disappointing when you get an easy scramble and got like 4 seconds inspection and then keep waiting, even normal one (for me ~7-9 seconds) are pretty annoying.
a menu to look at the scrambles for the times and maybe SD
also scramble length for 5x5 and 4x4, look at the regulations and stick to them, a timer is used for training and so you should use the official scrambles

Odin

WCA
2009RODR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Status
Not open for further replies.