• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Custom-Made Rubik's Cube Timer Computer Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
WCA
2008DEBR01
YouTube
cronus616
Thread starter #1
¤ Hey, I'm pretty new here. Actually this is my first post.

¤ But in my spare time I've been working on a custom-made Rubik's Cube
Timer program that records solves and sessions of infinite numbers of solves.

¤ Features:
- Inspection time settings.
- Different cube settings.
- Random scramble generator based on cube selection.
- Averages your times, dropping the highest and lowest.
- Fullscreen setting.

I prefer to use this time over something like JnetCuber or CubeTimer.com purely because I prefer the look and sounds of an actual program. If you would too download my timer from the link below and tell me what you think.

¤ Screenshot:

I'm pretty sure it's bug free but there may be some small glitch I haven't found yet.

¤ Computer Specifications Required
- Windows 98SE, 2000, Me, XP, or Vista
- DirectX 8 or higher
- 16MB RAM

Download Link:
CubeTimer

Last edited:
WCA
2004CHAN04
CCT can be used without a stackmat. And it's cross platform, open source, and very feature rich.

Last edited:

Lucas Garron

Staff member
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
LucasGarron
Timer program that records solves and sessions of infinite numbers of solves.
That seems like a preposterous claim, considering that most programs only run on systems with finite memory.

I prefer to use this time over something like JnetCuber or CubeTimer.com purely because I prefer the look and sounds of an actual program.
JnetCube?
If that's not a program to you, what is? What's a look of a program? (And why does a program need certain sounds? Note that CCT has some good sound features now.
If you don't like that JAR files are self-executable, state that. However, note that jars run on more systems, and people like me are more inclined to use them than a completely unqualified .exe.

If you would too download my timer from the link below and tell me what you think.
I won't, because of I have no idea what you .exe will do, and it claims to do no better than CCT, which I like.

I'm pretty sure it's bug free but there may be some small glitch I haven't found yet.
That's a pretty bold statement. And if you don't know what unfound glitches look like, why couldn't they be bugs?

- Windows 98SE, 2000, Me, XP, or Vista
Uh-huh.

- DirectX 8 or higher
Why? It might make it easier to code, but it doesn't seem necessary to require for a simple timer program.

its for those who dont have a stackmat - like me....
What's that supposed to mean? CCT, JNet, etc. all run without a timer.

I don't want to discourage you from working more - in fact, such a project is great practice. But CCT already does everything you're trying to do, and if you want to work on a timer, you can learn to customize it.

Really, if you want to make something useful, there's a lot more you can do than a timer like this. ;)

WCA
2008GRIE01
I don't like this timer at all, it has annoying sound effects whenever I do anything, inspection HAS to be between 3 and 15 seconds, you can't turn inspection off. The scrambles (for 2x2 atleast) are horrible, here is one I just got:
L B2 L2 U B U' L D' R' F2 B2 F2 R2 D F D L' F2 B2 U

Also, the scrambles are way too short for 4x4 and 5x5, they're 20 moves long. Sorry, but this was way below par.

WCA
2007CHRI03
YouTube
Cerb1987
Good work, but still a lot to do..
Here are some points I would recommend:
most important, work on the scrambles!!! 3x3 Scramble: U' F2 D2 U2 L2 F D' B' L B L2 B' U B2 F2 B2 F2 B' U' D2
start countdown with spacebar, cancel countdown and start solve with spacebar (disappointing when you get an easy scramble and got like 4 seconds inspection and then keep waiting, even normal one (for me ~7-9 seconds) are pretty annoying.
a menu to look at the scrambles for the times and maybe SD
also scramble length for 5x5 and 4x4, look at the regulations and stick to them, a timer is used for training and so you should use the official scrambles

WCA
2009RODR02
YouTube
OdinTheSpeedCuber
Status
Not open for further replies.