• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubing & School [Time Management]

Jedi

Managing your activities

Most users on this site are probably obsessed with solving their cubes.. Although with school starting, a lot of us need to start solving problems as well.
When someone's addicted to an activity, it can be hard to manage your time successfully. I posted this thread because I'm curious if any other users have had the same problem.
I'm also curious to know if anyone brings their cubes to school.. Last year, I was very obsessed with cubing and brought a 3x3 nearly everywhere I went (school, kitchen, airports, outside, & even driving)..
I understand that a lot of users here have jobs and need to [prioritize their time], so even if you're not a student- please explain how you cope with these issues. After years of solving and knowing nearly every useful algorithm; most people solve without even knowing it, or just waste their time mindlessly solving without learning anything new. Does anyone else feel like they're no longer learning, and they need to cube just to feel calm? Maybe it's just me.. Below are some key goals if anyone agrees!

Managing Your Cubing
• Avoid wasting time mindlessly solving
• Focus on your weaknesses
• Prioritize your events
• Set strict time limits
• Don't practice when you are tired

Managing Schoolwork
• Avoid distractions
• Create schedules for yourself
• Take breaks to refresh yourself
• Do not procrastinate
• Go in for the kill

xchippy

Isn't this just copied from the description of this video?
Also, isn't cubing at school like a bit awkward. I feel like it'd attract way too much attention because it's kind of loud lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Jedi

Isn't this just copied from the description of this video?
Also, isn't cubing at school like a bit awkward. I feel like it'd attract way too much attention because it's kind of loud lol

Yes, the description is from that video.. I copied it here to see if anyone can relate.
And yeah, I agree it can be weird.. But I never really cared about what anyone thinks.. I only posted this to see if anyone can relate, and if so; I wanted that description to help them.

Praetorian

YouTube
Visit Channel
uh shouldn't this be a common sense thing? everyone should know they can't spend too much time cubing instead of doing important things, if they think otherwise they're going to receive consequences

Jedi

uh shouldn't this be a common sense thing? everyone should know they can't spend too much time cubing instead of doing important things, if they think otherwise they're going to receive consequences

For the third time, I only posted this to see if anyone could relate. (Brings cubes to school, car, work, etc.)

Coolster01

WCA
2011SBAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Best way to force yourself to be efficient with time management:
1. Put all cubes in a bag. (Optional: also put electronics that could cause distractions in this bag)
2. Tell your parents to hide the bag somewhere unguessable.
3. Tell them not to tell you where it is until all homework is done.

Seriously, just turning a cube while doing homework can slow you down a bunch. So you don't even want to look at a cube.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. Put all cubes in a bag. (Optional: also put electronics that could cause distractions in this bag)

Seriously, just turning a cube while doing homework can slow you down a bunch. So you don't even want to look at a cube.

yeah. maybe not to that extreme, but just keep em out of sight. mine are on a shelf 7 feet above the ground so I cant see them when im sitting down.

xchippy

That's extreme... and my parents would never agree lol. Just put them on the ground and don't pick them up. Or just don't turn them...

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What I like to do is if there's an assignment that can easily be split into parts (a bunch of math problems, a 5-paragraph essay, etc.) and I'm procrastinating too much, I reward myself for doing it. For example, I might do x solves on y puzzle every z math problems. It's nice because when I finish the assignment, I also have a somewhat large average to show for it. :rolleyes:

XTowncuber

WCA
2010BRAD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. Get home from school
2. Cube as long as possible before doing homework
3. Do homework right before you go to bed

Not gonna cut it in the coming years, but for now that's how I roll.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. Get home from school
2. Cube as long as possible before doing homework
3. Do homework right before you go to bed

Not gonna cut it in the coming years, but for now that's how I roll.

really? I used to do that, but its DEATH. throughout the whole average, im dreading getting to work and worrying about not finishing. and besides, its impossible to focus on work before sleep. I just do homework as soon as I get home, finish before dinner, eat, cube, then sleep.

lol that's what my mom started doing to my electronics on weekdays ever since I was in fifth grade. I could always find them eventually though. She's still doing it, but she hides them in a safe now.......

XTowncuber

WCA
2010BRAD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
really? I used to do that, but its DEATH. throughout the whole average, im dreading getting to work and worrying about not finishing. and besides, its impossible to focus on work before sleep. I just do homework as soon as I get home, finish before dinner, eat, cube, then sleep.
Doesn't bother me a bit. That's probably not a good thing but I still get good grades so whatever.

Jason Green

WCA
2016GREE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I relate. I'm old and work full time but I still tend to get obsessed with hobbies and stuff. I bring my cube just about everywhere, including car and work. Sometimes I'll just pick it up and practice turns while I'm on a conference call or something. I also enjoy stoplights in the car more because I can do a solve usually. :)