• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubing is like Track & Field

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do not know if I am categorizing this in the right area, so if any moderator sees this and move it, then that is okay with me
Hi, my name is Anthony, and I am an athlete in running. I enjoy cross country and Track & Field. I have noticed just how similar Track and Cubing are. Don't believe me? Well, here is why they are so similar.
1. They both are timed.
A no brainer, but to see just who is faster at running, you need a sort of system to see who is faster. You have www.athletic.net for the running, and www.worldcubeassociation.org for cubing.
2. They both have a goal.
Also a no-brainer, people need to be able to run or cube in a time they hope to achieve. Like in the mile, I want to beat 5:30, or in cubing, I want to get a sub-10 solve at my next competition.
3. They both use mental toughness.
This is not so obvious in cubing, but you must have high levels of concentration when solving or running. You have to keep the flow. On wrong move and the flow is disturbed.
4. The pros use techniques during practice to perform well during intense competition.
Max and Tymon in cubing, and the pro runners cross country/track.
5. Both activities have multiple different events that are very different from each other and require different skill sets. It’s very hard to be good at the 200, the 5k, discus, and pole vault, just like it’s hard to be good at 4x4, pyraminx, 3BLD, and FMC. (Thanks, Ben! I don't know how I missed this one!)
6. Mental toughness exists in track field for long distance running (5k,10k marathon). This form of toughness is also required for MBLD event which required unwavering focus for one complete hour and very less mistakes, M2 U2 M U M' U2 M U' M . (Thanks, @abunickabhi! I forgot this one, so you bringing this up allows me to add it for others to see.
If I missed anything, add it below.

Last edited:

OtterCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I do not know if I am categorizing this in the right area, so if any moderator sees this and move it, then that is okay with me
Hi, my name is Anthony, and I am an athlete in running. I enjoy cross country and Track & Field. I have noticed just how similar Track and Cubing are. Don't believe me? Well, here is why they are so similar.
1. They both are timed.
A no brainer, but to see just who is faster at running, you need a sort of system to see who is faster. You have www.athletic.net for the running, and www.worldcubeassociation.org for cubing.
Also a no-brainer, people need to be able to run or cube in a time they hope to achieve. Like in the mile, I want to beat 5:30, or in cubing, I want to get a sub-10 solve at my next competition.
This is not so obvious in cubing, but you must have high levels of concentration when solving or running. You have to keep the flow. On wrong move and the flow is disturbed.
4. The pros use techniques during practice to perform well during intense competition.
Great observations.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
6. Mental toughness exists in track field for long distance running (5k,10k marathon). This form of toughness is also required for MBLD event which required unwavering focus for one complete hour and very less mistakes, M2 U2 M U M' U2 M U' M .

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
5. Both activities have multiple different events that are very different from each other and require different skill sets. It’s very hard to be good at the 200, the 5k, discus, and pole vault, just like it’s hard to be good at 4x4, pyraminx, 3BLD, and FMC.

I’ll potentially update with more.

6. Mental toughness exists in track field for long distance running (5k,10k marathon). This form of toughness is also required for MBLD event which required unwavering focus for one complete hour and very less mistakes, M2 U2 M U M' U2 M U' M .
Thanks to you both! I added them to my original thread.

NigelTheCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
1. They both are timed.
5. Both activities have multiple different events that are very different from each other and require different skill sets. It’s very hard to be good at the 200, the 5k, discus, and pole vault, just like it’s hard to be good at 4x4, pyraminx, 3BLD, and FMC. (Thanks, Ben! I don't know how I missed this one!)
6. Mental toughness exists in track field for long distance running (5k,10k marathon). This form of toughness is also required for MBLD event which required unwavering focus for one complete hour and very less mistakes, M2 U2 M U M' U2 M U' M . (Thanks, @abunickabhi! I forgot this one, so you bringing this up allows me to add it for others to see.
If I missed anything, add it below.
lmao you left the 5-style alg there

hydynn

WCA
2021MAHA02
also they're both quite easy to quit. I used to be in the cross country club which ran every Monday and Wednesday morning but now I haven't actually run in like 4 months. and pyraminx. I don't need to say any more.

drgs

Couldn’t agree more. Also, train, train, train. When you stop training, it is easy to lose speed, technique, strategy, etc.

bulkocuber

also they're both quite easy to quit. I used to be in the cross country club which ran every Monday and Wednesday morning but now I haven't actually run in like 4 months. and pyraminx. I don't need to say any more.
I haven't run since February because of a knee injury and my doctor says I should wait another two months (I am a long-distance runner btw).

If you really like running, you don't quit it (unless you get injured like me☹️), it just becomes a part of you. I might be wrong, but it's a lot easier to get addicted to cubing than it is to running, therefore it's easier to quit cubing because you do it too much.
In addition, the relationship you have with cubing is very different from the one you have with running in my opinion.
There are just too many differences.

I don't know, it feels like everyone is trying to come up with new reasons to cube to justify the excessive amount of time they do it. Cubing is bad, at least when done in the way most people (especially kids) do it nowadays: now it's normal to cube more than 3-4 hours a day. All the good things you said about cubing are true, I'm not saying that you were wrong, but again, just like with every other activity, you have to take into account the fact that it's not healthy anymore if done too much. In the same way you found similarities between cubing and track and field, you can easily find its similarities with gaming and any other thing.
What I want to say is that a list of the advantages of cubing could only stimulate people to do it more and more, even when they already cube too many hours a day. You can benefit from cubing even if you don't cube lots of hours a day.

Disclaimer: I'm aware that this doesn't apply to everyone but I'm sure that someone here will recognise himself as those I described. Also, this may not be the best place to post this but I the thread made me think of it