• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubing involves maths?

PuduMaster

YouTube
Visit Channel
I was just wondering if solving a rubiks cube involves any maths. Everyone says that you have to be super smart at maths to solve it but all you have to do is memorize a few algorithms.
I personally didnt get any smarter at maths since i started cubing. :tu

Olji

Premium Member
WCA
2010JONS01
solving a rubik's cube does not involve maths, I think some may think so because of the word "algorithm", but when going deeper into the puzzle theory it will probably involve maths, like finding out how many permutations a specific cube can have etc.

wontolla

WCA
2011GRAJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Solving the Rubik's cube does not necesarily involves maths. As you said, you can just memorize a few algorithms.

But one thing is solving it and quite another is understanding it and/or understanding how algorithms and methods work.

Although understanding the Rubik's cube doesn't require previous maths knowledge, you still can learn some interesting math concepts involved with the Rubik's cube, in group theory etc.

There is plenty of information about the relationship between the Rubik's cube and maths, for example http://www.ryanheise.com/cube/theory.html

chicken9290

Banned
There is no need to be smart but once you get in to deeper cube studies math is needed to understand certain theories

TheMachanga

WCA
2010LECH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You just have to be determined enough to pay attention to the tutorial you're watching (or reading). I watched half of a tutorial without taking it seriously and thought it was rubbish. Then I actually needed to solve it, so I simply paid attention and solved it.

maggot

i actually hear this statement a lot. maybe because asians stereotypically excel in math and science and because all asians can solve rubik's cubes. DUH.

and because of erno's ties with math. .

Lux Aeterna

No, being able to solve a cube requires no mathematical aptitude whatsoever. It just takes a modest amount of memorizing sequences of actions. Even developing your own entirely intuitive solving method doesn't require "mathematics", per se, just a lot of pattern recognition, cleverness, and a bit of intuition. To be fair, that sort of activity is more like doing mathematics than it is any other academic subject, but that's not because puzzles require math, it's because math is full of doing puzzles.

The reason you hear people say this is that the sorts of people who are attracted to mathematics and the sorts of people who are attracted to puzzles overlap pretty heavily. And anyone can do either of those things if they try. Being interested in both = trying in both = succeeding in both = bystanders saying "oh look another math guy with a cube". That's all.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
My 5 year old daughter can solve the cube without having any notions about maths.

This proves that, at least for one person, cubing has nothing to do with maths...

hawkmp4

Solving a cube has plenty to do with math, but you don't need to know math to solve it. Whether you know group theory or not doesn't affect whether it governs the mechanics of the cube.