• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubing in the morning/when you first wake up

puzzlegeek

WCA
2016CLAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've noticed that my times really suffer when I first start each day. Is this a normal thing that other cubers experience? Do you have any advice for how to get back to solving with the same success as yesterday? It's like I'll work really hard for hours one day, and my time will drop by like 5 seconds in my average, and I'll be so excited thinking I'm improving so much. Then, I'll wake up the next day, and my first five solves result in a horrible average.

I've also found I do really well at night time, rather than during the day. Have any of you noticed any of the same things, or has your cubing experience been different?

My theory is perhaps I need a slower cube to start out with every time I decide to start cubing to give my finger muscles time to "warm up". It's somewhat the same principle as giving a beginner speedcuber a fast cube. They can't handle it.

Just so you know, I'm not a sub-20 solver. I average about 30-35 seconds using CFOP because I just haven't figured out how to get consistent look ahead in F2L, and I only use 2 look OLL. I know full PLL, though.

My main 3x3s are the Aolong v2, the cubicle Hualong, and the Gans 357 as of now. But using a Yuxin Qilin helps me with look ahead and gives me more control in my solves. It's the one I generally try to pick up first. Either that or my QiYi Thunderclap.

What are your experiences with starting a fresh cubing session after sleeping, and how to you eliminate the period of sluggishness when you first start cubing if we share this experience?

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have the same problem most of the time. I can usually shake it off by solving a bigger cube like a 4x4 where turnspeed doesn't matter as much, then moving on to smaller cubes once I'm warmed up.

puzzlegeek

WCA
2016CLAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have the same problem most of the time. I can usually shake it off by solving a bigger cube like a 4x4 where turnspeed doesn't matter as much, then moving on to smaller cubes once I'm warmed up.

Going from larger cubes to smaller cubes does tend to make it easier for me to do smaller ones. It's kinda the same as using a slower 3x3 I think.

rjcaste

WCA
2015CAST24
This happens to me ALL THE TIME. I average different times depending on the time of day. In the night, I average about 14-15 seconds, in the morning like 18 seconds. I also feel like my lookahead is impaired in the morning, and also I feel like I mess up and lock up a lot more in the morning.

I'm pretty sure this happens to everyone.

puzzlegeek

WCA
2016CLAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The first time I cube in the morning tends to have slightly worse times than my average. The more I practice on any given day, the better my times get.

That's what I was hoping everyone would say. I hate that most competitions are at 8am. It doesn't really give me time to get the practice I need in. Plus, I always have to drive 4-6 hours just to get there.

puzzlegeek

WCA
2016CLAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This happens to me ALL THE TIME. I average different times depending on the time of day. In the night, I average about 14-15 seconds, in the morning like 18 seconds. I also feel like my lookahead is impaired in the morning, and also I feel like I mess up and lock up a lot more in the morning.

I'm pretty sure this happens to everyone.

Look ahead and lock ups are apparently very common in the morning. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

maxcuber322

WCA
2015PAGE04
My experience is the opposite, I tend to go to bed earlier in the evening so I feel refreshed in the morning. And I do feel refreshed in the morning, give me 20 minutes to get going and I'm getting sub-25 solves and in the evening I get 30-34 second solves ( I average 27 by the way ). Pretty much anytime before 3 pm I'm getting good solves. I think that I'm tired and have done all the energy draining things before 3 pm so I'm more tired