• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I can co-organize a competition if it helps the community on one of those events. I just need experience, advice, and training before I organize one on my own. In addition, it depends if I have time to co-organize one of them. Also, what events are we looking at for the January competition? Thanks in advance!
For the Jan comp, the events will most likely be 2x2-7x7 and 3x3 oh, although that is not completely confirmed yet, and once we know I will let you all know.

With respect to organizing comps (or co-organizing) if you ever want to help with a comp let me know and either myself or the organizer of the comp will be more then happy to have you as co and will walk you through the steps of it all (which for the most part is pretty straight forward) but there are somethings to keep in mind and make sure are addressed before, during, and after the competition.

Something though that I will be more then happy to help with as well, is if you find a venue that would be good for a comp and would like to organize a comp there, please let me know and I can help with organizing the comp (being a co-organizer with you).

KingCanyon

WCA
2015KIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For the Jan comp, the events will most likely be 2x2-7x7 and 3x3 oh, although that is not completely confirmed yet, and once we know I will let you all know.

With respect to organizing comps (or co-organizing) if you ever want to help with a comp let me know and either myself or the organizer of the comp will be more then happy to have you as co and will walk you through the steps of it all (which for the most part is pretty straight forward) but there are somethings to keep in mind and make sure are addressed before, during, and after the competition.

Something though that I will be more then happy to help with as well, is if you find a venue that would be good for a comp and would like to organize a comp there, please let me know and I can help with organizing the comp (being a co-organizer with you).
Thanks for the update! I could maybe get a venue here in Woodland Park. I would just need to talk to my schools and ask if they would let me use them. A good venue here would potentially be the Ute Pass Cultural Center, but I don’t know how much that would cost to rent. If you have any ideas for a good Colorado Springs venue please let me know.

BradyCubes08

WCA
2018WROT01

What about Skewb?

KingCanyon

WCA
2015KIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah do megaminx and skewb. Also, why did the last competition have no 5x5 but yes 7x7? Is that just how the WCA rolls?
No, competions can have whatever events the organizers choose to, as long as they have time for those events. In this case, the organizers wanted 7x7 as an event instead of 5x5 because of preference and a lack of time.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Yeah do megaminx and skewb. Also, why did the last competition have no 5x5 but yes 7x7? Is that just how the WCA rolls?
Yep @KingCanyon is correct. For local competitions, the organizers tend to pick what events will be held and the delegates will help with making sure the events and schedule work out, and for this past competition 7x7 was an event that wasn't held recently so we decided on having that.

Also, we have been tying to have all the different events at competitions this past year, and will continue to do so this next year. For the January comp, it will be nxn events, and then for the competition after that (hopefully in February if we can get a delegate), will have some of the other events, such as Skewb, Pyraminx, etc.

BradyCubes08

WCA
2018WROT01
what are your goals for the upcoming comps i just want to get a sub 17 3x3 average and unironcally compete in 2x2 (wich is very unlickely)
3x3: PR average (Sub 9.7) and a good single.

2x2: sub 0

4x4: Sub 43 average with a sub 38 single.

5x5: Sub 1:28 average and sub 1:25 single.

6x6: Sub 3:40 mean and sub 3:30 single

OH: Sub 17 average (SR) and sub 15 single

Skewb: Sub 3.3 average and a long awaited sub 2 single (My 2.13 literally had a cube drop)

KingCanyon

WCA
2015KIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
3x3: PR Average, Sub 11 Single

2x2: Sub 4 Average

4x4: Sub 1:00 Average

5x5: Sub 2:00 Average

6x6: Sub 4:30 Mean

OH: Sub 30 Average

Skewb: Sub 10 Average

I would go with sub 13 average for 3x3, but the competition is only in about a month and a half. Also, today I did really well in 3x3, so I think those goals could be attainable. The 2x2 average is possible if I get better hardware and learn some CLLs with some luck. For 4x4 and 5x5, the goals seem steep, but I don't practice these events a great deal and don't have the best hardware. I also don't know Yau for 4x4, so this could help me. I do think the 6x6 goal is realistic, as long as the cutoff isn't too hard. For OH, I can average sub 30 when warmed up, so I just need a good official average. Lastly, I don't intend on practicing skewb too much before the competition, but I figure that I can manage an 8 or 9 average.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
3x3: PR Average, Sub 11 Single

2x2: Sub 4 Average

4x4: Sub 1:00 Average

5x5: Sub 2:00 Average

6x6: Sub 4:30 Mean

OH: Sub 30 Average

Skewb: Sub 10 Average

I would go with sub 13 average for 3x3, but the competition is only in about a month and a half. Also, today I did really well in 3x3, so I think those goals could be attainable. The 2x2 average is possible if I get better hardware and learn some CLLs with some luck. For 4x4 and 5x5, the goals seem steep, but I don't practice these events a great deal and don't have the best hardware. I also don't know Yau for 4x4, so this could help me. I do think the 6x6 goal is realistic, as long as the cutoff isn't too hard. For OH, I can average sub 30 when warmed up, so I just need a good official average. Lastly, I don't intend on practicing skewb too much before the competition, but I figure that I can manage an 8 or 9 average.
what are your goals for the upcoming comps i just want to get a sub 17 3x3 average and unironcally compete in 2x2 (wich is very unlickely)
I apologies, but 2x2 is not going to be held anymore. It was originally, but I think Zac swapped that our for Skewb.

WCA
2019SICH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I apologies, but 2x2 is not going to be held anymore. It was originally, but I think Zac swapped that our for Skewb.
ok i will attain my goal of unironically competing in 5x5 6x6 and skweb (and getting a sub 3:00 mega solve) and maybe an official sub 10 on 3x3 with luck and no pauses it could happen but probably not because nerves

KingCanyon

WCA
2015KIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ok i will attain my goal of unironically competing in 5x5 6x6 and skweb (and getting a sub 3:00 mega solve) and maybe an official sub 10 on 3x3 with luck and no pauses it could happen but probably not because nerves
Megaminx is at the competition? Also, you are aiming for a sub 17 3x3 average and a sub 10 single? I’m not trying to criticize you, but I didn’t get my first sub 10 single at home until I averaged 15 seconds, much less at a competition. However, if you did get a very lucky scramble and you executed it well, it could happen.

WCA
2019SICH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Megaminx is at the competition? Also, you are aiming for a sub 17 3x3 average and a sub 10 single? I’m not trying to criticize you, but I didn’t get my first sub 10 single at home until I averaged 15 seconds, much less at a competition. However, if you did get a very lucky scramble and you executed it well, it could happen.
i have 2 stackmat sub 10s and when i dont pause and execute well i get 14s i just get really nervous in comp

WCA
2019SICH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
(also i forgot mega isnt at the comp)

KingCanyon

WCA
2015KIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel

For a venue, I was thinking about the Ute Pass Cultural Center in Woodland Park. It has a stage and enough room for competitors. The commercial price per hour is $133, while the non-profit price per hour is $75. I don't know if the competition would be considered non-profit. I would assume so because the WCA is a non-profit organization. To pay for the venue, do we use competitor fees? Also, I think getting a sponsor might be a good idea (The Cubicle or Speedsolving.com are examples). I will leave the link to the venue's website down below. Let me know what you think of it and what other expenses we might need. I also understand that we should get a WCA delegate to make this work.

http://www.utepassculturalcenter.itgo.com