• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubing hardware should not be customizable

I actually somewhat agree with your points about the customization. At some point, you just get far too overwhelmed with the options and you just end up using stock settings, or barely messing with the features. I don't think we should go back to non-customizable cubes, but we should have fewer options. In my opinion, the best customizable cube as of right now is the XS, as it only has 6 compression settings and 4 tension settings. The magnet system on the XS is also the best in my opinion as it is easy to adjust without tools, and is not intimidating at all. This is why I prefer the XS over other customizable cubes, however, I feel like the 60$ price tag is not as justified as it once was. back in 2016 - 2018, people would justify dropping 50$+ on a Gan for it's customizability which was not found else where, but now, all competitors are providing cubes with similar performance and customizability for half the price. IMO Gan should begin lowering the price of their flagships.

Rubik's brand is an example of a non-customizable cube, no tensions, no magnets, the cube feels bad right?
also, The Valk is a customizable cube, it goes against what you are saying.
I think he was referring to the original valk from 2016 which isn't customizable. You can compare the OG valk to the valk elite (which has customization), and the performance is almost identical, and many people prefer the OG over the elite.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have nothing against cusomisation, but I find it pretty useless. I used to have a valk elite, which has customisable springs and magnets, but, while solving, to me, the springs and magnets all felt the same. Then the screw cracked in half. If customisation means bad quality, I would go for something that's screws won't break.

UJlikescubes

Rubik's brand is an example of a non-customizable cube, no tensions, no magnets, the cube feels bad right?
also, The Valk is a customizable cube, it goes against what you are saying.
obvs i dont mean crap cubes like rubiks brand, and how is valk customizable?

the GAN 356 M is a good option if you don’t want a good cube customizability. Although I personally do not care for GAN Cubes
I can see how someone may want to have a cube with less customizability that is also cheaper though.
its still 30$ which is more expensive then cubes like rs3, wuwei, mgc elite and valk

You think cubes shouldn't have the ability to be customized so people can find their "perfect" cube much easier? It isn't a cheap trick used to raise prices, it's the best thing since magnets
That does not make sense, a "perfect cube" cubes by the feel, not making the magnets stronger or some crap, it is a chap trick, look at valk elite and gan x, making u pay for all those magnets when your only gonna use one.

Last edited by a moderator:

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
That does not make sense, a "perfect cube" cubes by the feel, not making the magnets stronger or some crap, it is a chap trick, look at valk elite and gan x, making u pay for all those magnets when your only gonna use one.
But how do you know which one you're going to use? It's meant so somebody who doesn't know what they like can mess around to find their preferences, say you liked strong magnets, but there were only light magnets. You're screwed. But with customisability, you can set it to the strong setting, and everybody, whether they like strong or weak magnets will like it - all in one. Same goes for other stuff.
compleatly fkin agree man
Language.
obvs i dont mean crap cubes like rubiks brand, and how is valk customizable?
The Elite has magnetic swappaple centrecaps and 3 different GES like springs. The original still has screws and springs lol.

Also you can reply to everyone in one post.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I need to be able to interchange the springs so I can loosen the screws so the cube can cornercut and tighten the springs so the cube will not be flimsy. I wish more cubes had the adjustment system of the Weilong WR M, which I definitely would have used if the cube had any kind of resistance.

i prefer the Fangshi shuangren guanyin, it is quite uncustomizable and viable for the beginner cuber. why? cause its fast, therefore you don't need to lube it, heh.

Last edited: