• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

"Cubing for a Cause" Charity Event for Benefit of Animal Shelter—Oct. 12

Hazel

Premium Member
On October 12th, at noon, I will be beginning a 24-hour speedsolving marathon, live-streamed on Twitch, to raise donations for Loudoun County Animal Services (LCAS), my local animal shelter.
I've been to the shelter numerous times. All of the employees care deeply for the wellbeing of the animals there, but they often lack sufficient government funding to support everything the animals need—such as medical bills, food/hygiene supplies, toys and other things to keep the animals happy, etc. As somebody who loves animals myself, I decided to set up this event for their benefit.

As stated above, this event will take place on October 12th, at 12 pm noon (EST), and will last until 12 pm October 13th. I'll kick off the livestream at the animal shelter itself, and stay there for a few hours before heading home for the majority of the event. I'm planning to have some guests come by my house at some point, family friends, who will talk about their pets for a bit and perhaps even bring them.

100% of donations go directly to an organization called Friends of Loudoun County Animal Services. This guarantees that all of the donations go directly to the shelter.
In addition, for every $10 you donate, your name will be entered once into a raffle for a MF9 9x9x9 cube, or a few other prices to be decided :)

Donations are open now, and will be until at least the end of the event. You can donate here: https://donorbox.org/rubik
If you would like to watch livestream once it starts, it will be here:

Here is the LCAS website, if you are interested: https://www.loudoun.gov/4118/Animal-Services

Last edited:

Iwannaganx

I'll see if I can CATch some of it! What is your twitch?
Edit: oh cubic cat got it

And yes I understand that was terrible and i shouldn't have done it but I couldn't resist

Hazel

Premium Member
I'll see if I can CATch some of it! What is your twitch?
Edit: oh cubic cat got it

And yes I understand that was terrible and i shouldn't have done it but I couldn't resist
The original name of this event was going to be "Cubing for Cats" because I'm a cat person, but that would have turned away dog people.
I appreciate the cat pun tho :p

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice! Are you going to be doing solid cubing for like 24 hours, or is it like dedicated solves throughout the day, with some pauses for lunch, breakfast, etc? Either way, by the end of it, you'll have raised a lot of money and probably improved in cubing quite a bit. Good luck!

Hazel

Premium Member
Nice! Are you going to be doing solid cubing for like 24 hours, or is it like dedicated solves throughout the day, with some pauses for lunch, breakfast, etc? Either way, by the end of it, you'll have raised a lot of money and probably improved in cubing quite a bit. Good luck!
24 hours straight is the plan! I'll probably be taking short breaks every now and then so I don't break my fngers or something, and so I can eat/use the restroom.

Awesome, love the idea. Just donated $10, great cause. Keep up the good work and looking forward to watching.
Thanks you so much!! I can't wait for the event :)

Hazel

Premium Member
Just to let you all know, the livestream starts in one week! Saturday October 12th at 12 pm (noon) EST I'll be going live. We've also reached nearly $800 in donations :D:D The goal is set to $5,000, hopefully that's obtainable. Thanks to everyone for the support!

Hazel

Premium Member
(triple post.. )
We've reached over $1,100 in donations!! Thank you to anyone here who's donated :D
The event goes live in three days!

Reactions: pjk

Hazel

Premium Member
Congrats for finishing! How much did you raise?
Thanks!
We raised a total of $2,054.62, plus cash donations and a pledge from a family friend, which makes ~$2,274.62!!
The goal was $5,000, and although we didn't reach it, $2.2k is still a lot of money and will definitely help the animals quite a bit!
Donations are still open by the way :D

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks!
We raised a total of $2,054.62, plus cash donations and a pledge from a family friend, which makes ~$2,274.62!!
The goal was $5,000, and although we didn't reach it, $2.2k is still a lot of money and will definitely help the animals quite a bit!
Donations are still open by the way :D
Nice! That's more than several hundred months of pocket money for me! You’ve definitely made an impact on your animal shelter :)