• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubicle Labs Premium Cubes

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Kaizen is the japanese concept of continual improvement.
To continue to pursue the best version of ourselves that we can, and to ignore the status quo and continually improve and seek the best. This is my motivating force for innovation.

Cubing is my passion and my life. I LITERALLY do cubing stuff for a living.
I seek the best, and I spend ALL DAY thinking of how to improve cubing.

Before I started working at The Cubicle, I was a PhD. student researching how to cure antibiotic resistance.
Now I research CUBES.

I wanted to
combine scientific research with speedcubing, I wanted to produce new and powerful cubes to push the boundaries of speedsolving.

vZYJtV4.png

Thanks to the platform, resources, and infinite generosity of The Cubicle, our combined efforts have produced crazy new creations. We have so much crazy stuff that I'm not at liberty to share, but keep posted because we're gonna blow your mind.

Our first public production is the first commercially available Magnetic 3x3 Speedcube.
The Weilong GTS M. It's on our website now!

You'll hear all about it on the site, but I'm going to share with you some tidbits about the extensive research we've put into it.

Making a magnetic 3x3 sounds simple, right?
Just toss some magnets in, and boom, you're done.

LOL NO.

I've spend the past month going through LITERALLY thousands of magnets, testing many many many combinations of shapes, sizes, grades, materials, coatings, adhesives, radii, arrangements and MORE of magnets.

There are radially symmetric arrangements, middle arrangements, and the radius of the magnet from the core actually has a huge effect on torque and you must take into account the pull force and gauss rating of the magnet. Too far, and it's too much feedback. Too close, and the degrees of rotation at which the feedback is affected. Magnets too strong? Cube isn't fun to turn. Magnets too weak? Pointless.

Ra21uVt.png

ALWAYS GOTTA CITE YOUR SOURCES FOR FORMULAS

Trust me, I've done the science and the experimentation.
I've done polling, extensive tests, and calculations on pull force and newtons to overcome the rotations. I've put in immense hours into this so that we can finally bring this to market. I've tested them in Gans Air, Shengshou FengYuan, Weilong GTS, Valk, TangLong, Yuxin Blue, GuanSu, and many more.

I've spent the past month researching and producing the first batch, and I can't wait for you all to try them. I also hope you like the logo that I designed!

The possibilities are huge, we've even got magnetic 4x4 cubes coming soon. The magnets allow a level of stability that's simply unattainable currently, and you can set the cubes loose and STILL have stability!

For an example, check out my sub-10 compilation, done with a magnetic Valk3!

Magnets are just the beginning.
We have so many more ideas just waiting to be produced in time.
Thank you for reading, and welcome to the new Cubicle Labs line of premium cubes!

Last edited:

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can you clarify where the magnets are? Is this like a magnetic pyra or do the magnets replace the springs?

The pictures on the site will explain everything.

From experimentation, the location is dependent on the puzzle. I've noticed that close radius centers+edges is better in Gans Air and Shengshou FangYuan due to the weight distribution and pull force, but for the Weilong GTS, it is a medium radius located in the edges and corners.

This produces a weight balance, a torque balance, as well as consistent pull force.
They are placed in a rotationally symmetric pattern within the puzzle, so no matter what the orientation or twist, the dipoles of the magnets will be properly oriented to provide pull.

That's awesome, Chris! I'm pretty hyped. :)
I feel like every other day you're making a thread that changes all we ever thought we knew about cubing. :p

THANKS A LOT!
I've got lots more ideas for y'all!!!!!

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
See, this doesn't surprise me at all. I had insider info... Er, Chris asked me to delete a post. That's the same thing right?

But actually... I don't know what to say actually. It's pretty cool. Can't wait to see the reviews!

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Kaizen is the japanese concept of continual improvement.
To continue to pursue the best version of ourselves that we can, and to ignore the status quo and continually improve and seek the best. This is my motivating force for innovation.
Awesome to hear. I've heard of this term before and I absolutely love it - as humans we're wired to fit in and follow social norms, have status anxiety, etc. But really improving yourself is the best way to help others - if you can't take care of yourself, how are you supposed to take care of others? This term also promotes free and open thought, and questions things that we're told or things that are "normal", because many times "normal" isn't the best way for you to live.

anyway, awesome post. Glad to hear you guys are innovating on the cube front. It is pretty fascinating to think how far cubing design has come since 10 years ago. I remember ordering generic DIYs from China in 2006 that were substantially better than the Rubiks brand that everyone used. Fast forward to today and the Gans I'm using has one of the most intricate, coolest, smoothest designs I've ever seen - and it is the result of innovation. ;)

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on what you create.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
See, this doesn't surprise me at all. I had insider info... Er, Chris asked me to delete a post. That's the same thing right?

But actually... I don't know what to say actually. It's pretty cool. Can't wait to see the reviews!

Haha, sorry about that! You were one of the few people to catch it!
The day after, we decided to market it, and we didn't want any other company to copy the idea while I did research into optimizing the product.

Woah
That is a really cool logo.
Are these cubicle lab cubes going to be premium lubed also?

THANKS!! It took a long time to make!
YES, the boss, Phil Yu PERSONALLY sands down the feet, tensions, lubes, and stickers each cube. That's why it took so long to make the first batch.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
According to the current regulations, they are legal.

They have the same tactile properties as the bearings in skewb and pyraminix, as well as clicky 3x3s such as the 1980s arxon rubiks, Vcube line, and old YJ 4x4.
All of which are WCA legal.

DTCuber

Cool!

Can you guys make magnetic square-1s with magnets on the slice axis?

How are the magnets placed? What glue is used? Will they come out if the cube is dropped?

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cool!

Can you guys make magnetic square-1s with magnets on the slice axis?

How are the magnets placed? What glue is used? Will they come out if the cube is dropped?

Unfortunately, the design of the QiYi sq-1 does not permit magnets. ):

They're placed in an off-center, rotationally symmetric pattern that gives tactil feedback at 0 and 90 degrees.

I can't reveal the combination of glue that I use, sorry!
I went through a lot of experimentation to find the best one! We've also done drop tests (some accidental heavy drops on hard floor at NYC Summer too, ugh), and the magnets do not dislodge easily. We use a combination of two glues which expands AROUND the magnet, so that it holds it in place once it hardens.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
@4Chan - Chris, I think this is an awesome idea and I would love to play around with one. However the price is just to much for me to even think about. I can't justify spending that amount of cash on a 3x3, and then still have to think about shipping costs.

Good luck with the idea and the Cubicle Labs though. I think it's great that you guys are innovating new ideas.