• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cube talk

iwinoky

I gave a talk on the Rubik's Cube at a Math/Science/Technology conference at Exeter Academy at the end of June. The talk is 50 minutes long. I'll be giving some version of this talk again in the near future so if you watch, please let me know what you liked and what you didn't think worked so well.

Here is a rough outline:

my introduction to the cube
history of the cube
the cube in media
solving the cube using commutators
solving the cube using Fridrich (with some demonstrations)
FMC and God's number
some videos of a few current world records

There were about 50 people in attendance and the talk was very well received. They really got into the videos at the end!

Part 1 of the talk is here (youtube limits clips to 15 minutes in length):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1H2J80ZwD0

Many thanks to Anders Bogan for volunteering to get the raw video file into a Youtube friendly format. He also cut it into chunks and added links to the subsequent parts at the end of each clip. Fancy!

If someone feels like embedding the talk here on the forum, please do so.

Ian

cubernya

Premium Member
Chester's pretty fun when he's drunk...LOL

Also lol at the crowd's reaction to the OH record when he pointed at it

Last edited:

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just finished the whole thing. Not bad at all, you got them all interested, touched on many subjects without going on and on or getting boring. Well done.

Away

The camera angle is bad :( I hate not being able tos ee the whole projector screen.

Very good speech, though.

Bilbo

WCA
2012JOST01
I enjoyed it a ton, it was very well presented, and I learned a few new things myself. I Also loved the phrase "the odds are good but the goods are odd" lol :)

Last edited:

iwinoky

Thanks for the feedback so far. I now know the subtitles over Minh Thai's solve are not Hungarian and that Feliks is number one on the 6x6 (why didn't I just look that up the night before my talk??).

In the coming months, I'll be giving a version of this talk to a group of 6th graders and, separately, to another group of math teachers. Every 6th grader from a particular school district in Connecticut will be there (about 200 students in all). Any thoughts on what I should do to adapt this talk for my 6th grade audience?

Do I leave the commutator stuff in or is that too advanced for an average 6th grader? Maybe more videos of world record holders or is 5 minutes of videos enough in a 45 minute talk?

O

Owen

Do I leave the commutator stuff in or is that too advanced for an average 6th grader? Maybe more videos of world record holders or is 5 minutes of videos enough in a 45 minute talk?

I'd say leave it in. If someone explained that to me it sixth grade, I'd have been fascinated.