• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cube Rotation or AUF before PLL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAE_JA_VOO

How's it guys.

Lately i've been finding that i could possibly save myself some time by doing AUF instead of cube rotations for PLLs. Let me explain, in case you're not sure.

When i get to the PLL stage of my solve, i align the already permuted pieces to find out what PLL i need to do. For my R perms, i have the two switched corners on the UB part of the cube. Let's say i'm doing a solve and i end up with the two corners now in the UF area, i find myself doing a 180 degree cube rotation and then performing the PLL.

I could also do a U2 before the PLL and then another U2 after it, i'm pretty sure this will be faster, considering that a U2 move is lightning fast.

What do you guys do?

ccchips296

YouTube
Visit Channel
depends on the PLL...easy ones that leave u in a good position for U moves like H perms or J perms ur better off AUF...but ones like F or R perms, ur better off cube rotated.

Lt-UnReaL

WCA
2008CLAY01
Most R perms usually end in an AUF, so it makes sense to me to always AUF before an R perm, because a U move in the beginning (not counting the end, cause it already ends in an AUF move) is obviously faster than a cube rotation. :f

I usually will see the PLL without AUF unless it's a hard one to identify, like an R, V, A or some of the G's (for me at least). If the PLL is already in place, but needs a rotation, but will result in me doing extra U moves in the beginning and the end if I AUF first, then I will usually do the rotation because it could be hard to do ugly regrips for AUF moves.

But it is also cool that will some algs that end with an AUF move like a J or R, if you have them at certain angle before AUF, you can cancel the last AUF move.
Example: if you set your cube up with: R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U2 y
You can just do R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' and skip the last move.

Last edited:

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I AUF for the pieces to be on the right position so that I if I do a cube rotation, I can immediately start the algorithm with AUF again.

I recognize the case when I'm AUF and then I do a cube rotation so I can immmediatly execute the algorithm.

I think a y2 is faster than doing U2 twice. Just a guess. Because you just had to do y2 and regrip for executing the algorithm. Otherwise you would do U2, regrip for executing the algorithm, and regrip again for doing U2.

Okay I know that was a horrible post but perhaps posts in this thread can help you:
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4714&highlight=Cube+Rotation

WCA
2009JOHN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I rotate the cube for a couple reasons. (1) Because I am not an expert, I like to pay attention to visual cues as I perform the algorithm. If the up face does not match the sides the way I am accustomed, it might throw me off. Yes, I can do all my PLLs without looking, but after a few beers in a bar the visual cues can help. (2) If I begin with AUF, then I might have a delay at the end, trying to remember how (or see how) to adjust the up face back. If I just stick to my algorithm, it finishes correctly, with no thinking.

I suppose an expert would save time using AUFs rather than rotating the cube, but I am no expert.

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I suppose an expert would save time using AUFs rather than rotating the cube, but I am no expert.
If you have noticed Yu Nakajima AUF so the PLL is in the right position, and then does a cube rotation and executes the algorithm. His entire PLL stage is like 2 seconds (maybe less?) and it works pretty well for him.

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
AUF depends on the PLL , in general no cuberotations is the best, but if the U layer already is in it correct spot than I do a cube rotation . In general I do the UAF last because I know before the PLL how I will end. Only a few PLL I prefer to do a UAF because I end with a re-grip to do the UAF.

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
AUF depends on the PLL , in general no cuberotations is the best, but if the U layer already is in it correct spot than I do a cube rotation . In general I do the UAF last because I know before the PLL how I will end. Only a few PLL I prefer to do a UAF because I end with a re-grip to do the UAF.
What does UAF mean?

dvtpgm

YouTube
Visit Channel
For me, once I finish the OLL, I simply execute the PLL case algorithm, then do AUF. I still think it's faster for me. By observing the colors of the cubies, it's very easy to determine which kind of AUF you need after the PLL (either U, U' or U2).

Lt-UnReaL

WCA
2008CLAY01
For me, once I finish the OLL, I simply execute the PLL case algorithm, then do AUF. I still think it's faster for me. By observing the colors of the cubies, it's very easy to determine which kind of AUF you need after the PLL (either U, U' or U2).

I always get the V and A mixed up, though. :(

WCA
2009JOHN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I rotate the cube for a couple reasons. (1) Because I am not an expert, I like to pay attention to visual cues as I perform the algorithm. If the up face does not match the sides the way I am accustomed, it might throw me off. Yes, I can do all my PLLs without looking, but after a few beers in a bar the visual cues can help. (2) If I begin with AUF, then I might have a delay at the end, trying to remember how (or see how) to adjust the up face back. If I just stick to my algorithm, it finishes correctly, with no thinking.

I am not so sure I was clear. I actually do both. I adjust the U face to match up with the sides to recognize the PLL, but I also rotate the cube so I can begin with that PLL in my standard orientation. I was thinking some people might be able to recognize the PLL right away, and AUF for their standard orientation to begin that PLL, without needing to rotate the bottom 2 layers. (But they might need an AUF at the end.)

54stickers

WCA
2009CORN01
Aligning Top layer before or after Executing PLL?

I have been cubing for a while and whenever I get to PLL I have a little bit of trouble aligning the top layer so when I finish the execution it is in the solved state.
I was wondering if it wold be better just to Recognize, Execute, and then Rotate the top layer, Or should I just do what I have been doing and just practice it a lot?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.