• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cube Research/Math/Theory subforum

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
We lead a lot of similar discussion in the Off-Topic/Speedcubing sections of the forum, but I think this deserves a section of its own;

For example, we have threads on the least number of moves to solve any cube. We also had threads on God's algorithm, and the 2phase algorithms. We had a lot of threads on Commutators and Conjugates. We also had many threads that discuss new possible methods, and their short-comings and strengths. Some people were also interested in knowing how to solve the cube completely intuitively.

I really do believe Research/Math/Theory deserves a section of its own because there was a lot of discussion surrounding it, there are many people on the forum interested in it, and it is most certainly not off-topic.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, we don't have a forum for general cubing topics. ;)
(Which, as is evident from twistypuzzles.com, wouldn't really work)

I'm not sure if having such a forum will cause it to be used well, but I'm in favor.
As long as we don't get a weekly beginner asking about this cube math they'd been told about, we might actually get something done!

You know about http://cubezzz.homelinux.org/drupal/, right?

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
wow, bookmarked!! How did I never find out about this? I read through half of Stefan's paper, his program Hume seems very interesting. Can't wait to wake up tomorrow and read more :)

anyway, we need a place to discuss exactly that stuff, somewhere.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ooooh I love how he named his program after my favouritest philosopher ever!!!

As for the subforum, it would be nice, but I don't think it would get enough traffic.

EDIT: After quickly skimming over the thesis, I see it is in English. So, to keep it simple, why? Why not German? Surely it could have a lot more meaning (or is English sufficient and used for a wider audience?)

EDIT 2: I think this is a great idea, btw. You have motivated me to find any excuse I can to do postgraduate study on the Rubik's Cube.

Last edited:

immortalcube

Ah, but being confused is a good chunk of learning something new, right? This looks like a good idea, I'd love to learn more about 'cube theory'

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I like the idea, but I highly doubt we would have enough interest. The speedcubing sub-forum should be sufficient in the meantime. Plus we have added several new forums recently, so we probably want to let the site grow before adding more sub-forums.