• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cube and solve method you'd recommend

Dan16

HI! I'm new on this forum and new to speed solving. I learned a few years ago the easy layer by layer method and now I'd really like to learn how to solve the cube in less than 40-35 sec. and eventually maybe get to do it in 20-15 sec.
So I was wondering what do you guyz believe may be the best cubes on the market for speed solving and what method or methods would you say I should learn. By doing some research on the web I was thinking about getting a zhanchi and learn the Petrus method.
But I'd love some advise from people who actually have experience in the matter. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Edward

WCA
2011KING01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You really should just jump through the methods and see which feels best. Experimenting a lot will help you form a solid base of understanding. Spend extra time on blockbuilding for "cube control" as I call it. I'd also recommend, if you go with Fridrich, do the F2L intuitively, and use algs to optimize later. That's just my recommendation, it may not be the best way for you.

I haven't bought a new cube since the Guhong, so I can't say about cubes. Zhanchi seems widely regarded as good though.

http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/3x3x3_speedsolving_methods

Good luck man :D

Last edited:

mDiPalma

technically 4. (2 extremely similar algs for corner permutation after completion of the first block + sune oll + U perm)

realistically 13. (2 corner permutation algs + 7 olls + 2 u perms + h perm + z perm) (this is 1/6 the algorithms of CFOP: the next best speedsolving method)

but 86 if you really go crazy. (2 corner perm algs + 84 2gll algs for a one look last layer)

this may sound like a lot of algorithms. but it reality, it's almost nothing. especially considering the algorithms only involve the RIGHT and UP faces, which is a huge advantage over the petrus and cfop and roux methods.

for starters, you should read up on the regular zz method: http://cube.crider.co.uk/
then, once you're used to EOLine and the first block, you should read about the zz-d variant: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?20834-ZZ-ZB-Home-Thread/page61 (see the second post on that page)

good luck

A Leman

how many algorithms are necessary for this zz-d method?? and do you know a good website where to learn it from??

I hope he is joking. ZZ-d as I have learned it is an exerimental method that needs a genius recognition system to work. So people pour time into trying to find that system(like I have done).ZZ-d is like ZZ, but you fix corner parity during f2l and finish the LL with 2GLL.

Try Roux,CFOP,ZZ or Petrus they are all sub-15 capable and well documented. Personally, I like Roux.

Also Dayans like the Guhong are great!

Dan16

wow :D Thanks guyz! I really appreciate it! I'll check the methods you recomended and then decide which one to really commit to :D
Cube wise I'll get a Dayan ;)

Edit: what do you believe is the best method for speed and algorithms ratio. Least number of algorithms to memorize for a fast solve.

Last edited:

aznanimedude

I hope he is joking. ZZ-d as I have learned it is an exerimental method that needs a genius recognition system to work. So people pour time into trying to find that system(like I have done).ZZ-d is like ZZ, but you fix corner parity during f2l and finish the LL with 2GLL.

Try Roux,CFOP,ZZ or Petrus they are all sub-15 capable and well documented. Personally, I like Roux.

Also Dayans like the Guhong are great!

actually, it doesn't, porkynator found a nice way to do the corners for ZZ-d and mDiPalma's been really liking it so i hear, he even posted a link to the talk about it in the ZZ thread :|

vd

WCA
2012DVOA01
wow :D Thanks guyz! I really appreciate it! I'll check the methods you recomended and then decide which one to really commit to :D
Cube wise I'll get a Dayan ;)

Edit: what do you believe is the best method for speed and algorithms ratio. Least number of algorithms to memorize for a fast solve.

You can be fast with Petrus, Roux or even ZZ using just few algorithms, but once you want to get REALLY fast, you should learn lot of them anyway. Personally, I am using CFOP, but I will reccomend you Roux, it seems very powerful these days...

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
actually, it doesn't, porkynator found a nice way to do the corners for ZZ-d and mDiPalma's been really liking it so i hear, he even posted a link to the talk about it in the ZZ thread :|

exactly. after all, the EOLine part is still harder than the isolation of corners and the cp recognition in the end...

Cubic

... I'd really like to learn how to solve the cube in less than 40-35 sec. and eventually maybe get to do it in 20-15 sec...
Six weeks ago, I was in the same position. I'm still not sub 60, though, despite lots of practice. My hands are old, and aren't nearly as nimble as they used to be!

So I was wondering what do you guyz believe may be the best cubes on the market for speed solving and what method or methods would you say I should learn. By doing some research on the web I was thinking about getting a zhanchi and learn the Petrus method.
I started learning Petrus, but was persuaded to learn CFOP. When I started, I really liked Petrus, but looking back at it now, I find the last layer algorithms awkward.

I have also looked at Roux, which looks good. If I were better at block building, I would probably invest more time in learning it.

So, if you are good with block building, go with Roux. Otherwise I would say go with CFOP. You'll find that learning the algorithms is surprisingly easy, and after a few days you just won't think about them anymore. You'll start to notice patterns, and immediately know what alg to perform.

As for cubes... I love the GuHong 2. I also have a Ling Hui, ZhanChi, Sheng En, and MF8. Of them all, I find the GuHong the easiest to control. It's smooth, fast, and feels must right for my style.

The Dayan cubes feel to be of higher quality than the other cubes I have. I love the Shen En, but it pops a lot. It's a shame because it's a fast cube and I love solving with it. the MF8 was horrible straight out of the box, but after lubing and re-tensioning it feels a lot better. It's not fast, and it doesn't corner cut as wll as the Dayans or Sheng En, but for teaching the beginner how to turn the cube with control, it's great.

If you can afford to, buy more than one type of cube. iCubemart has a great selection of bundles, so take a look there and take your pick.

Good luck. :tu

A Leman

That is a nice trick, but I was thinking of the way zbignew introduced zz-d where you fix cp on your FIRST BLOCK where you would recognize the need of ONE move like R' before L'UL. I have these listed for a few common f2ls in my notebook and can do it for linear fmc, but failed to put enough effort into a hyperorientation recognition system for the last 6 corners, hence the dreary outlook on it.

porkinator is using 5 moves by cancelling the nikolas after using moves to insert 2 the corners. This and a petrus style nikolas+2gll would both be about the same and not like zbignew's proposal. We should name it after porkinator since it is his good idea.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Try anything with a reasonable movecount and movegroup etc. Don't give a **** about what is 'proven to be fast'. Though you will have strong doubts about this until you are in 'fast' territory.

I use a Guhong basically. I have mixed guhongs of different feels... each one has been modded very differently by different people (and the core is brand new now).
The guhong I find changes drastically after modding. Try it out. As for the zhanchi, it's fast, clicky/noisy, I just can't speedsolve with it. Others can.

Last edited:

applemobile

Try all the methods for your self. It all depends in how much time you has to practice. Unless you have a lot of ime set aside for practicing I would just stick to CFOP. Roux, ZZ and Petrie are marvellous methods in the right hands, but you will not get fast over night with them .