• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Eli Apperson's progression thread | Practicing OH

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Another thing about the comp in a few weeks. The time limit for 3 blind is 10:00. I have no idea what strategy I'm going to approach this with. I could grind blind even more and try to get my times closer to 3 minutes, but I doubt that will happen

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I could practice all I want, and all I'm just doing is reinforcing bad habits. No, to practice effectively, you have to stay slow for a bit and work on the good habits. Only then will those good habits will remain how they are. That's what @CubableYT has to do, anyway.
And me.

bulkocuber

I was just joking. I wanted to say what you said, but once again someone posted something 1 second before me, in fact my original post was

"Practice

I'm so helpful.
But seriously, you should work on planning first pair in inspection (take as long as you need); by doing this you also get Jayden's respect. (edit: you also have more time to look ahead to second pair)"

so this was what i was writing.

Last edited:

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been considering a method switch for a while now, and I've finally decided to go for it. Starting February 2022 I'm going to fully switch to roux.

Ok I'm not really fully switching. I will keep using CFOP for big cubes, which will hopefully keep me somewhat fresh with it. One of the reasons I am switching to roux is because right now I am terrible at block building, and have very bad efficiency. I think changing methods will help me with that. My eventual goal is to be sub 10 with both methods, and to be completely method neutral.
I'm going to keep practicing CFOP until my comp, but I've already started going deeper in into the roux method.
Once again, if anyone has any tips, let me know!

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been considering a method switch for a while now, and I've finally decided to go for it. Starting February 2022 I'm going to fully switch to roux.

Ok I'm not really fully switching. I will keep using CFOP for big cubes, which will hopefully keep me somewhat fresh with it. One of the reasons I am switching to roux is because right now I am terrible at block building, and have very bad efficiency. I think changing methods will help me with that. My eventual goal is to be sub 10 with both methods, and to be completely method neutral.
I'm going to keep practicing CFOP until my comp, but I've already started going deeper in into the roux method.
Once again, if anyone has any tips, let me know!
Dang it, there goes one person I can't give tips for in 3x3.

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
All I can say is that J-Perm may be no master of roux, but he's got two videos that may help. Plus, I think ParadoxCubing may have some. Or am I thinking of another person?
I think you might be thinking of critical cubing.
As a general rule I don't really like jperm tutorials, or really tutorials in general.
I prefer figuring it out on my own, and looking at example solves.
I already know the basics of roux, and because I know CLL and COLL I pretty much know CMLL.

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think you might be thinking of critical cubing.
As a general rule I don't really like jperm tutorials, or really tutorials in general.
I prefer figuring it out on my own, and looking at example solves.
I already know the basics of roux, and because I know CLL and COLL I pretty much know CMLL.
Actually, since you have the Middle layer free, you can do more stuff with r and r', l' and l, but some CLLs don't work because they affect the front two f2l edges. CLL may not be the best option. So take a look at CMLL, and see what you can find. I'm sure there are algorithms that are more fingertrick friendly than COLL or CLL.

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Actually, since you have the Middle layer free, you can do more stuff with r and r', l' and l, but some CLLs don't work because they affect the front two f2l edges. CLL may not be the best option. So take a look at CMLL, and see what you can find. I'm sure there are algorithms that are more fingertrick friendly than COLL or CLL.
I found this video for you with full CMLL. I know you said you like figuring stuff out for yourself, but it shows the recognition and fingertricks, and each algorithm at a higher TPS.