• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Eli Apperson's progression thread | Practicing OH

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dang you are pretty far ahead of me XD
Hey, you can still catch up! Just work for the gold!
Here’s a tip: when you finish your centers for big cubes and move onto your edges, slow down and look ahead, if you use reduction. When you do edges, look ahead gets hard and you want to slow down to make your edge pairing as smooth as possible. That way, your edges are faster when you turn a tad bit slower than when you try to spam TPS.

Last edited:

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, you can still catch up! Just work for the gold!
Here’s a tip: when you finish your centers for big cubes and move onto your edges, slow down and look ahead, if you use reduction. When you do edges, look ahead gets hard and you want to slow down to make your edge pairing as smooth as possible. That way, your edges are faster when you turn a tad bit slower than when you try to spam TPS.
I use Hoya, so by the time my centers are done, my cross is done as well. Then I do the middle layer edges, which are very easy to spot, then I solve to 2 back slots, then finish up the top layer edges. Because of this, I don't really pause that much even with decent tps, because the target edges are in a select spot so I know where to look.

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use Hoya, so by the time my centers are done, my cross is done as well. Then I do the middle layer edges, which are very easy to spot, then I solve to 2 back slots, then finish up the top layer edges. Because of this, I don't really pause that much even with decent tps, because the target edges are in a select spot so I know where to look.
Personally, I find redux faster, but now that I think about it, Hoya and Yau do the same thing, except Yau makes centers harder and edges easier, and Hoya just makes cross edges bad.
anyway, I don't know much about hoya usages, but I do know that some steps are easier than Yau, and vice versa. It gets harder to give tips if you use hoya since I use redux, but I am sure you can find something useful.

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You know, www.cubeskills.com is a good source for Megaminx tricks, such as a better star, F2L, S2L, and last layer. Since I would believe you are at a beginner/intermediate level, you should go to the intermediate section to learn more about S2L and 4LLL
Edit: I know other people complained to you about using Hoya. For 5x5, it’s fine, but for 6x6 and 7x7, I discourage the use of Hoya because edges get bad during the cross stage. I believe that a start on a cross is useful, but I’d rather be slowed down by the cross than by 4 edges.
You do you, but IMO redux is better because the only thing that gets slowed down is the cross for 3x3, which you can look-ahead for in the last two edges.

Last edited: