• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cross: Bottom or right?

cubenoob

Hi,

I'm just starting out learning the cube, and I was wondering if you had any thoughts on this. Mainly I was wondering whether one of the options works better with certain finger tricks?

Also I have seen some tutorials of the Friedrich F2L, where the cube is flipped (for instance with cross on bottom, you turn the entire cube clockwise mid-sequence). Is this done because turning the cube allows a faster solve (fingertricks?) or maybe to be able to look ahead scan the other surfaces for pairs while solving)?

Since I'm just starting out, I would like not to start out with one set of algorithms, and then find out later, that to become really fast, I would hav? to change the way I've been doing things.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
Hello and welcome to the Speedcubing forums!
When I started, I learned to solve with the cross on the bottom, and that is what I do today. However, I believe Leyan Lo (ex-WR holder) solves with the cross on the right. Many top cubers do cross on the bottom. I'd recommend to just pick one and go for it. Check out my beginners guide sometime by going to http://www.pjk.has.it and clicking on "Beginners Guide" on the left. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.
Pat

cubenoob

Thanks for the help. BTW, when I say "right", I obviously mean left (not knowing left from right, won't be an obstacle for getting really good, will it? ;) ).

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
haha, no big deal. Just practice, practice, and practice more. I'd recommend cross on bottom, because that is what I use, but on the left can obviously be very powerful too.

DDRKirby(ISQ)

I personally solve with D-cross and find it works really well.

however I see people doing L-cross and it just looks so friggin cool!

I can't give a 100% accurate comparison because I haven't worked out L-cross yet, but...

L-cross seems like F2L algs would be easier, because there's no nasty Ls and L's.

however D-cross seems to me like it allows for easier inspection.

dunno, it's weird. actually L-cross probably fits my style better because I really like 2-gen algs.

i did hear of one person who actually switched from L-cross to D-cross and supposedly started doing better.

then again, that's just one person...

experiment! there's no way to tell what's best for you...that's like asking "what alg should I use for PLL state blahblahblah"...