• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

CRC Silicone & plastic warping/mutation

QuinnHyatt

Hi guys,

I'm just going to start out with the question: Am I stupid?

So, I heard in some YouTube videos some guy talking about lubing his 5x5, and I just recently went from Vaseline, to a dry cube, to CRC Silicone spray in my 3x3. I noticed my 2x2 and 5x5 were just too slow compared to my 3x3, so I was like "Why the hell not?" Luckily, my 2x2 wasn't affected by this, but my 5x5 was getting hard to turn.

I thought that it just needed a 'breaking in' type of process, because the Silicone had maybe dried a little or something? I don't know. anyway, I took the pieces out, and saw that a pretty good portion of the pieces are actually warped, being not smooth and increasing friction like, a million-fold.

Is there any thing I can do about this? Can I sand this, somehow get a refund? Or, do I just have to place this online order for a new 5x5 that I just added to my cart?

Any responses or tips would be GREAT and VERY appreciated; I really don't want to drop any more money on puzzles that I technically already have, unless it's a new 3x3 or something.

Thanks for your time guys,

--Quinn Hyatt

Jaysammey777

WCA
2010AMBR01
YouTube
Jaysammey777
Brand?

Edit: I used to use crc on all my puzzles and never had a problem, tension than lube always worked best for me. The pieces should become "smoother" (for lack of better words) when the spray is applied, as well it depends on how you applied it, too much is too bad. You can always wash the pieces if you think the lube is the problem.

Last edited:

QuinnHyatt

Shengshou 5x5. It got on the pieces themselves, and I think I probably put on too much. The pieces are dry though, washing wouldn't really do anything.

WCA
2010CANT02
YouTube
antoineccantin
CRC melts the plastic a little. You have to be careful when you put it in and break it in a lot right after.

Funny story: Once I was at a comp and a tile fell off my megaminx. I didn't have any glue with me, so I sprayed a bunch of Jigaloo (very similar to CRC) onto it and stuck it back on quickly. The Jigaloo melted the plastic on the tile and on the puzzle and made it stick very well.

QuinnHyatt

Funny story: Once I was at a comp and a tile fell off my megaminx. I didn't have any glue with me, so I sprayed a bunch of Jigaloo (very similar to CRC) onto it and stuck it back on quickly. The Jigaloo melted the plastic on the tile and on the puzzle and made it stick very well.
Lmao, that's hilarious. Are you saying that there's a possibility I can assemble my 5x5 and it work, or is there just no chance?

Pestvic

WCA
2009IGLE01
YouTube
Pestvic
Actually, what I figured out is best with CRC, is that you constantly have to keep moving the cube/ puzzle like you are scrambling until the lube has absorbed fully into the cube or "brakes in." If you don't, the pieces will either fuse or warp because of hot spots where more lube was left in certain areas of the puzzle. The fusing and melted pieces due to the lube staying in one spot and not being evenly spread through the cube is especially worse in bigger puzzles. Also, from experience, CRC doesn't really melt the puzzle all that much. It's Jigaloo that melts puzzles like crazy. (Which is why it worked so well I think? The pieces kind of melted in a already broken in shape haha.)