• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Controversial Cubing Topics

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd say these are some of the biggest points of contention now:
  • The existence of Feet and Clock as events
  • V-first vs. top-first for Pyraminx
  • Which cube stores are the best
  • Redux vs. Yau for 5x5
  • Official recognition of 4BLD and 5BLD means
  • Adding events vs. removing events vs. keeping it the way it is
I'm sure I could come up with more, but these are a few that come to mind immediately.

Tony Fisher

YouTube
Visit Channel
Using KO cubes (right or wrong?)
Inspection time (right or wrong?)
Hating Rubik's (justified or not?)
Hating V-Cubes (justified or not?)
Thousandths of seconds measuring (ignore / round down, round, use 3 dec places in all times?)
Florian mods (allow or not allow in comps?)
Pillowed puzzles (allow or not allow in comps?)
Stickerless puzzles (allow or not allow in comps?)
Puzzles with magnets (allow or not allow in comps?)

Sajwo

WCA
2012SZEW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Using KO cubes (right or wrong?)
Inspection time (right or wrong?)
Hating Rubik's (justified or not?)
Hating V-Cubes (justified or not?)
Thousandths of seconds measuring (ignore / round down, round, use 3 dec places in all times?)
Florian mods (allow or not allow in comps?)
Pillowed puzzles (allow or not allow in comps?)
Stickerless puzzles (allow or not allow in comps?)
Puzzles with magnets (allow or not allow in comps?)

Those are controversial, but only according to you. Please just go back to making cubes out of chocolate and candles.

xyzzy

These are controversial? I did not know that.
Pillowed puzzles only became WCA legal this year (as in, not just the pillowed 7×7×7s, but pillowed anything); stickerless puzzles only became WCA legal in 2015, which is still fairly recent. Pillowed puzzles and puzzles with coloured internals provide additional information over puzzles with flat surfaces and puzzles with single-colour internals, but these days the community consensus is that (i) the pillowed cubes all suck and you wouldn't use them seriously to begin with and (ii) occasionally being able to see back faces through the coloured internals isn't much of an advantage.

Tony Fisher

YouTube
Visit Channel
Those are controversial, but only according to you. Please just go back to making cubes out of chocolate and candles.
Such a reaction simply proves the issues I raised ARE controversial. Plus I have seen many of them discussed numerous times by countless people. And please don't pull the "you are not welcome here" nonsense when I was probably speedcubing before you were even born.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Such a reaction simply proves the issues I raised ARE controversial. Plus I have seen many of them discussed numerous times by countless people. And please don't pull the "you are not welcome here" nonsense when I was probably speedcubing before you were even born.
To @Tony Fisher, @Sajwo, and anyone else that has started or joined in a debate in this thread,

Please respect what @CornerCutter wanted for this thread which is to quote him "Please list what you think they are, but I don't want to start any debates on this thread."

Anyone is more then welcome to list what they think is debatable and if you or anyone does not agree with it for whatever reason then please talk it over either on a different thread or in privet. I do not want to see a thread that someone started for ideas, turn into a debating thread, since I know that @CornerCutter would not want that and that is what he has asked of everyone. To point out the obvious he just wants ideas for his podcast, and he will decide what he wants to add to his podcast for debating.

Thank you very much, and please do not take this as me sounding self-righteous or anything alone those lines. That is/would never be my intention in any way, but I just wanted to remind you both what this thread was designed for.

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel
To @Tony Fisher, @Sajwo, and anyone else that has started or joined in a debate in this thread,

Please respect what @CornerCutter wanted for this thread which is to quote him "Please list what you think they are, but I don't want to start any debates on this thread."

Anyone is more then welcome to list what they think is debatable and if you or anyone does not agree with it for whatever reason then please talk it over either on a different thread or in privet. I do not want to see a thread that someone started for ideas, turn into a debating thread, since I know that @CornerCutter would not want that and that is what he has asked of everyone. To point out the obvious he just wants ideas for his podcast, and he will decide what he wants to add to his podcast for debating.

Thank you very much, and please do not take this as me sounding self-righteous or anything alone those lines. That is/would never be my intention in any way, but I just wanted to remind you both what this thread was designed for.
Thanks @cubeshepherd.:)

Having a few people on the podcast to debate some of these topics is my plan for one of the upcoming episodes. I will let everyone know which I choose and I would be happy to have cubers with different opinions on the podcast to debate.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Thanks @cubeshepherd.:)

Having a few people on the podcast to debate some of these topics is my plan for one of the upcoming episodes. I will let everyone know which I choose and I would be happy to have cubers with different opinions on the podcast to debate.
I look forward to seeing (well I guess hearing :D) how the podcast goes. I wish you the best with it.

Hazel

Premium Member
CFOP, Roux or ZZ?

Is it justified to teach beginners to 'solve the white cross'

Is cubing a sport

Is cubing a spectator sport
Depends on the cuber and what they personally enjoy the most.
It is objectively better to start them off as color neutral because it isn't any harder for them and it builds good habits.
Depends on your definition of sport.
Again, it really depends.