• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] Cong's Design MeiYing

Quality of Puzzle?

• terrible

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • bad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • just under par

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • decent

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • good

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • amazing

Votes: 41 66.1%

• Total voters

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, so I have owned this particular puzzle for 2 days, and have done 1,000 solves. I would say that is has a light, airy, and scratchy feel. It is fast, the fastest cube I have ever owned, and corner-cutting is on par with most cubes on the market. 45 forward, 2/3 reverse. The stock stickers appear to be stock Moyu shades. I personally find the M-slice a little slower compared to the other layers, but it will suffice. The cube is very easy to move, and is insanely fast when it is correctly lubed. This is my new main instead of my weilong which I used before.

dboeren

Thanks for the review, there isn't a lot written about this cube compared to some others. How "flexy" is the Meiying? The Weilong has very little flex, is it a big transition from one to the other?

fiftyniner

Thanks for the review, there isn't a lot written about this cube compared to some others. How "flexy" is the Meiying? The Weilong has very little flex, is it a big transition from one to the other?

Meiying flexes, while Weilong does not (IMO - actually depends on the tensioning).
While I understand this is more a preference:

a. I prefer Weilong for its bigger size (57 vs 56)
b. Meiying flexes more.
c. Meiying turns smoother (less hiccups for the inaccurate turner). This is something I love about the Meiying, above all the other cubes, including Gans 356.

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wonder how many people are going to get confused that you put the bad ratings on top :p
got one in the mail and will post first Impressions soon. :D

The cube is quite fast, and has an interesting feel to it. the exterior is very square. corner cutting is good, and I experience minimal catching.
I actually am enjoying this cube a lot, I'm hoping for it to be my main actually.

Last edited:

TraciAG

WCA
2015GAGU01
At first I didn't like it, it's almost completely opposite of my main back then- Gans 356. It's lighter, much faster and in general is a completely different feel.

Having said that, after using it for a day and trying to go back to my 356 I couldn't do it...it was just not as good as my Meiying personally.

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
UPDATE: After breaking this puzzle in very much, about 1500 solves, it has gotten faster, corner-cutting stayed the same, popping stayed the same (very little). Something that did change was the corner-twisting. the corners twist easier, and I get a twist about 1 in every 140 solves.

WCA
2014BLOC01
UPDATE: After breaking this puzzle in very much, about 1500 solves, it has gotten faster, corner-cutting stayed the same, popping stayed the same (very little). Something that did change was the corner-twisting. the corners twist easier, and I get a twist about 1 in every 140 solves.

Interesting. I've gotten 1 corner twist (I've done about 1500 solves), and it was while I was drilling algs, not during a solve.

ljacob332

The meiying is quite flexy; but it might just be because I installed Maru cx3 soft springs. However it doesn't really effect my solves; I used to main on a extremely sluggish ailing v2 which was not flexy at all

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
I received my meiying the other day and I think out of the box its a great puzzle. It's fast but controllable, light, airy and it has a satisfying feel I would describe as a mix of a hualong and a gans 356 but much lighter type han both cubes. HOWEVER, the problem I have with this cube is the flexibility it has, it's not quite as flexible as the gans 356 but still enough for me to get very sporadic times. At the same time it could be due to my relatively inexperienced turning style, maybe I'm not turning accurately enough but it's flexible enough for me to occasionally lock up when I'm turning because the cube isn't maintaining a cubic shape. Ill have similar averages compared to my tanglong, but times would go something like this:
tanglong - 16,17,16,18,17s
Meiying - 15, 21, 17, 19, 16
My times are all over the place with the meiying. I love the feel of the cube and it's my favorite feel. If I were to change anything I would add the stability of the Tanglong or Aolong and make it slightly heavier, I prefer every turn being profound instead of it being nearly non-existent (its a good thing, I just don't prefer it). The Tanglong can be too profound though, lol.
Because of all this I would rate this cube as excellent, but not for me. Get this cube if you don't mind the disclaimer that it flexes enough for a not-super-accurate turner to have sporadic solves and catches.
I'm waiting for the day a cube that has the style of a meiying and a tanglong together ... someday ... :(

willtri4

WCA
2015BELO03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I received my meiying the other day and I think out of the box its a great puzzle. It's fast but controllable, light, airy and it has a satisfying feel I would describe as a mix of a hualong and a gans 356 but much lighter type han both cubes. HOWEVER, the problem I have with this cube is the flexibility it has, it's not quite as flexible as the gans 356 but still enough for me to get very sporadic times. At the same time it could be due to my relatively inexperienced turning style, maybe I'm not turning accurately enough but it's flexible enough for me to occasionally lock up when I'm turning because the cube isn't maintaining a cubic shape. Ill have similar averages compared to my tanglong, but times would go something like this:
tanglong - 16,17,16,18,17s
Meiying - 15, 21, 17, 19, 16
My times are all over the place with the meiying. I love the feel of the cube and it's my favorite feel. If I were to change anything I would add the stability of the Tanglong or Aolong and make it slightly heavier, I prefer every turn being profound instead of it being nearly non-existent (its a good thing, I just don't prefer it). The Tanglong can be too profound though, lol.
Because of all this I would rate this cube as excellent, but not for me. Get this cube if you don't mind the disclaimer that it flexes enough for a not-super-accurate turner to have sporadic solves and catches.
I'm waiting for the day a cube that has the style of a meiying and a tanglong together ... someday ... :(

Try putting stiffer springs in. It will make it flex less and feel more solid.

Artic

Has anyone modded their Meiying? I really like the cube, but I'm getting constant catches due to the pointy corners. I'm thinking of sanding them down. Has anyone down this?

Artic

Yes. DO NOT DO IT. Sand down the centers a bit instead. The corners will twist like crazy if you do it.

thanks! Also, do you have a video of what you did? I'd like to see the results before I attempt this.