• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Competition to celebrate new ao5 World Record. 500 USD prize pool

kubesolver

Premium Member
The idea

Let's celebrate the new Ao5 3x3x3 world record by Feliks Zemdegs with a competition dedicated to it!The $500 in prizes will be roughly equally divided between the best and random competitors.

How to enter

To enter competition please post in this thread a video of you solving 3 out of 5 solves from the world record attempt. The video can be edited (e..g the solutions don't have to happen immediately one after another). Preferably please provide a reconstruction or at least a short description of a method or something interesting about your solution.

Scramble 1: R2 F' U2 L D' L' D' R D2 U2 F2 L' D2 L' D' B' U'
Scramble 2: D' L D' U2 R2 U' B L U2 B2 R U R2 F2 D' U2 B'
Scramble 3: U' R2 B U' L' F' R D2 U L' F2 D2 R' F' D B' D' U'
Scramble 4: L B2 U2 B' R' D2 R' B L B F' U2 L D R2 B R
Scramble 5: U' R F U2 F' U2 F2 D' R D' L2 R' F D B2 L' B R' U2

Duration

The competition will last 1 month. It starts on Monday 18th November GMT 0:01 and ends on Tuesday 17th December GTM 0:01.

Prizes

The prize pool will be 500 USD and will be given out as vouchers to any speed cubing show which offer vouchers / gift cards online.
Everyone who participates will have a chance to win but the better your times the higher chance to win.

There are 5 100$ prizes to be won. One person can win only one prize.

Score = total time of 3 attemps.
1) 100$ for the best score at the end of competition
2) 100$ for the person with the most points, where the points are assigned according to the following formula:
1 points for the person with the best score on the day 1
2 points for the person with the best score after day 2
3 points......
3) 100$ to a random person. Randomly weighted by (1/score) (so the person with 2 times shorter time is 2 times more likely to win.
4) 100$ for a random competitor. Randomly weighted by the number of days the participant entry was present in a competition (1 point for someone who entered the competition on the last day, 2 points for someone who entered the second last day etc). So someone who entered a competition on the first day is 2 times more likely to win than the person who entered a competition in the middle of it.
5) 100$ for a random person. All participants equally likely to win this price.

Disclaimer

The fixed part is the world record celebration and the prize pool. The exact rules and prize structure might change later based on the feedback received from participants.

Edit: changed the rules to make it easier to enter competition

Last edited:

kubesolver

Premium Member
the problem is people will fake solves so it is just who can get the highest tps

Why is this is a problem? That's the spirit of this competition - to work on the best solutions and then execute them as fast as possible.
I find it really interesting if the best solutions will be using some regular method like CFOP or just TPS spamming the scramble in reverse order.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Why is this is a problem? That's the spirit of this competition - to work on the best solutions and then execute them as fast as possible.
I find it really interesting if the best solutions will be using some regular method like CFOP or just TPS spamming the scramble in reverse order.
In my opinion, which I believe is shared by many, the problem lies in that that is not how a real competition is handled. If you took the scramble YuSheng had and gave everyone the solution and a few weeks to practice and then comeback and stackmat it, then the world record would be sub-3 if not sub-2. I’ve gotten a 3 second solve with Roux because first block was solved and the second block was the 3 move pairs into Sune then M2. If I spam that over and over on a stackmat since I now know the whole solution I get 1-2 second solves on it every time. But, those times are not a real measure of my ability because it’s just repetition, not solving.

WCA
2017OWEN01
because then the winner is just based on natural talent.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
In my opinion, which I believe is shared by many, the problem lies in that that is not how a real competition is handled. If you took the scramble YuSheng had and gave everyone the solution and a few weeks to practice and then comeback and stackmat it, then the world record would be sub-3 if not sub-2. I’ve gotten a 3 second solve with Roux because first block was solved and the second block was the 3 move pairs into Sune then M2. If I spam that over and over on a stackmat since I now know the whole solution I get 1-2 second solves on it every time. But, those times are not a real measure of my ability because it’s just repetition, not solving.
I definitely second this

kubesolver

Premium Member
I would like to address few points.

Regarding fake solves. It is obvioulsy a "fake solve" competition. It's allowed and expected that the competitors will try to get as fast as possible and learn the solution before posting. Also posting one solution, then improving and posting new solution is perfectly fine. I expected some kind of battle between people posting better and better solutions (see prize 2). The idea is to explore the record scrambles to the extreme.

Yes, it's not about determining who is the best in solving a cube in WCA style. I could have just found a way to ship money to Feliks directly if I wanted that. It's a community giveway.

I get 1-2 second solves on it every time. But, those times are not a real measure of my ability.

They are a measure of SOME ability. Just not the WCA competition ability.

because then the winner is just based on natural talent.

No, it's not. First of all there are many prizes and some of them are assigned randomly. If you get triggered by the prizes 1,2,3 imagine they are not there and it's just a giveway of prizes that anyone who posts a video of solving 5 scrambles can win.

The prize 1 winner will be whoever will show the most dedication to win.

The argument that it's silly or pointless to just spam TPS on one scramble can be applied to the whole speedsolving. "The real challenge is to learn how to solve a 3x3x3 cube, trying to do it as fast as you can when you already know how to do it is pointless."

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I would like to address few points.

Regarding fake solves. It is obvioulsy a "fake solve" competition. It's allowed and expected that the competitors will try to get as fast as possible and learn the solution before posting. Also posting one solution, then improving and posting new solution is perfectly fine. I expected some kind of battle between people posting better and better solutions (see prize 2). The idea is to explore the record scrambles to the extreme.

Yes, it's not about determining who is the best in solving a cube in WCA style. I could have just found a way to ship money to Feliks directly if I wanted that. It's a community giveway.

They are a measure of SOME ability. Just not the WCA competition ability.

No, it's not. First of all there are many prizes and some of them are assigned randomly. If you get triggered by the prizes 1,2,3 imagine they are not there and it's just a giveway of prizes that anyone who posts a video of solving 5 scrambles can win.

The prize 1 winner will be whoever will show the most dedication to win.

The argument that it's silly or pointless to just spam TPS on one scramble can be applied to the whole speedsolving. "The real challenge is to learn how to solve a 3x3x3 cube, trying to do it as fast as you can when you already know how to do it is pointless."
I suppose so. I still don’t agree with the very last part in that WCA speedsolving isn’t just spamming TPS or pointless. You have to turn as fast as possible WHILE determining your solution rather than trying to execute a known solution as quickly as possible, which are VERY different skills

kubesolver

Premium Member
Given zero interest in so far I want to change the rules to make it easier to enter.
To enter please make video of 3 chosen scrambles instead of all 5 and the video doesn't have to be done in one go.

WCA
2019HENK01
So here is the first entry.
Those are terrible solves and I will come up with something better very soon.
Also the lighting is pretty bad unfortunately and the reconstructions might not be exactly accurate in terms of extra moves, rotations etc.

Scramble:
R2 F' U2 L D' L' D' R D2 U2 F2 L' D2 L' D' B' U'

Solution:
x2 // Inspection
D' F' L F2 U2 R2 // Cross [6]
L' U L // 1st Pair [3/9]
R U' R' y U' R' U R // 2nd Pair [7/16]
U' R U R' U' L' U L // 3rd Pair [8/24]
y' R' U R U' y R U R' // 4th Pair [7/31]
U Rw U R' U R U2 Rw' // OLL [8/39]
U' R2 F2 R U2 R U2 R' F R U R' U' R' F R2 U // PLL [17/56]
4.59 TPS