• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Colour neutrality on big cubes

Are you colour neutral on big cubes?

• Yes

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • On opposite centers

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Are you guys colour neutral on big cubes for which center you start on?

Also, for those of you who are colour neutral on 3x3, are you still colour neutral when solving like a 3x3? I'd think it would be hard to find which side is the best to start on, unless you have crazy look ahead.

Zubon

For me, using the reduction method, I usually start solving the centers on the white side of big cubes. However if I see easy cases on other colors, I am more inclined to start on them than I would be when solving a 3x3x3.

After edge pairing, I solve exactly the same as 3x3x3 using white as the cross color.

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm too slow on big-cubes for it to make much of a difference. When the cube is reduced it doesn't matter which side though. I often start with the side that happens to be on the bottom after the last edge.

cookingfat

WCA
2009HARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do white cross on 3x3, very rarely do a yellow cross unless it looks very easy. But on bigger cubes I would be more likely to try a yellow cross as it doesn't really slow me down much. Weird

And I do opposite centres, yellow or white.

Last edited:

Ryanrex116

WCA
2008JEWR01
I am color neutral on everything I can think of. I'm not sure if it actually helped my times on 4x4, but I became color neutral as my times went down. It was easy for me on 5x5, since there is centers. I just decided to be color neutral early on for 3x3.

i luv pants

Im color neutral on 4x4 and 6x6, I have to start with black or yellow, then do the other one, then red or blue then the other one and I'm always left with green and orange because I use the red-white-blue in a clockwise pattern for making sure centers are correct. On 3x3 I have to do white/black cross. On 5x5 and 7x7 I do any center that looks good then after edge pairing I do black/white cross always on any cube.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, so it's weird, but I do only opposite centers on 4x4x4, 6x6x6, and 7x7x7, (blue-white), and I usually start with blue. But on 5x5x5, I'm color-neutral. I don't know why - I'm just comfortable enough to do it on 5x5x5, but not 7x7x7. It really doesn't make any sense, but I can't seem to fight it. I get faster solves on 7x7x7 if I use blue or white than if I use other colors.

LNZ

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
For 3x3 and 2x2, I solve the black/white side first. To aid pattern matching speeds, I solve the black/white side on large cubes. It has made a big difference.