• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Colour Neutral Discussion and Help

Abare Killer

Starting to learn to become color neutral but what's the best way to learn it and fast. Should I just find a random cross to solve and learn altogether or should I learn the colors one by one?

EmperorZant

WCA
2015LAUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Starting to learn to become color neutral but what's the best way to learn it and fast. Should I just find a random cross to solve and learn altogether or should I learn the colors one by one?
In jskyler's tutorial, he outlined spending a handful of days on each color face (Red cross only for 4 days, Orange cross only for 4 days, etc.), combining what you learn for certain days (solving Red, Orange, and Blue Cross for a day), and not solving your original cross color until the very end when you've practiced every other color (both individually, and together).
I learned from this tutorial, and am fully color neutral, so I'd recommend learning that way. If you don't like that, you could definitely try something that works better for you.

Abare Killer

In jskyler's tutorial, he outlined spending a handful of days on each color face (Red cross only for 4 days, Orange cross only for 4 days, etc.), combining what you learn for certain days (solving Red, Orange, and Blue Cross for a day), and not solving your original cross color until the very end when you've practiced every other color (both individually, and together).
I learned from this tutorial, and am fully color neutral, so I'd recommend learning that way. If you don't like that, you could definitely try something that works better for you.
Just wanna ask, when u were learning to become color neutral, did u time ur solves or did u just do casual hand scramble solve or do u do slow solves?

EmperorZant

WCA
2015LAUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just wanna ask, when u were learning to become color neutral, did u time ur solves or did u just do casual hand scramble solve or do u do slow solves?
All of the above! I tried to make it a habit to do an average of 12 or 100 or so every day. I was learning while in school, though, so I mostly hand-scrambled and solved either quickly or slowly, depending on if I was in class or how I was feeling. A combination of all three got me more used to the color schemes from both a casual and competitive perspective.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't pay serious attention to your timed solves' times. Becoming color neutral is like learning F2L (which slows you down at first) but much worse, as you sometimes get lost in what you're looking at/for. Just try to be patient, and don't... throw one of your stickerless cubes at a linoleum floor in anger.

Rubix Cubix

WCA
2016GLOZ01
What I did was do a week or two of only one colour that's not your main cross colour, then do another one which is not the opposite colour, then the last one. Then do any colour that is not your main colour for a few weeks more.

Then go to trying to choose the best cross, at first this will take more than 15 seconds so just focus on doing it right.

Try to avoid doing your main cross colour and the opposite as much as you can, unless it's really easy.

Also another really important thing is to know the colour scheme instantly, you should be able to tell where every colour is just from looking at 2 faces, usually bottom and front.

One useful thing is to to close your eyes flip the cube around in your hands a bit, then as soon as you open them try and recite the colour scheme from front to left instantly.

Hope this helps, also it will take a while before you will be the same time as you are on your original cross colour, so don't worry about that.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just did a couple ao100s on different colours. Granted, I use ZZ, so I was just doing Orange front as opposed to Blue front.

iirc, some one who was switching to colour neutral just chose the colour of the Urf corner sticker and did that colour, regardless of how good the cross was. Sounds like it would be a good way to get used to it.

And I think jskyler has a bunch of videos on colour neutrality.

Paul Landers

Down the stairs, jokes on you I have no stairs.
WCA
2017LAND05
YouTube
Visit Channel
What I did was do a week or two of only one colour that's not your main cross colour, then do another one which is not the opposite colour, then the last one. Then do any colour that is not your main colour for a few weeks more.

Then go to trying to choose the best cross, at first this will take more than 15 seconds so just focus on doing it right.

Try to avoid doing your main cross colour and the opposite as much as you can, unless it's really easy.

Also another really important thing is to know the colour scheme instantly, you should be able to tell where every colour is just from looking at 2 faces, usually bottom and front.

One useful thing is to to close your eyes flip the cube around in your hands a bit, then as soon as you open them try and recite the colour scheme from front to left instantly.

Hope this helps, also it will take a while before you will be the same time as you are on your original cross colour, so don't worry about that.
I already know about color scheme, and I actually used that trick (closing your eyes and figuring out where they are.) I think that would be a great idea, haha. I want to get myself down to sub-15 :D

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For those of you who made the switch, do you find that a full bright color scheme helped make the transition easier? I currently have a dull-er color scheme and I'm wondering if the lack of 'pop' in each color makes it more difficult to track pieces

Aerospry

For those of you who made the switch, do you find that a full bright color scheme helped make the transition easier? I currently have a dull-er color scheme and I'm wondering if the lack of 'pop' in each color makes it more difficult to track pieces
I would say that a brighter color scheme certainly helps out, because each color stands out against all the others, which makes looking ahead a whole lot easier. I still sometimes struggle with red cross, and I'll feel like it's because I just use plain red, which is really dark and hard to spot.

EmperorZant

WCA
2015LAUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would say that a brighter color scheme certainly helps out, because each color stands out against all the others, which makes looking ahead a whole lot easier. I still sometimes struggle with red cross, and I'll feel like it's because I just use plain red, which is really dark and hard to spot.
I agree, brighter colors help a lot with lookahead. But I also actually prefer using normal red.

The color scheme I use contains colors that I can distinguish between very well: Fluorescent Blue/Green/Orange/Yellow, and just normal White and Red. Red is kept dark because then I can distinguish/detect between red and orange easily, and blue/green are easily distinguishable/identifiable as well. Having a brighter, more "obvious" Yellow helps as well. Basically, I wanted the colors to stand out from each other and also contrast well, so if I looked at an edge or corner (regardless of which cross I was solving), I knew exactly what two colors it was.

If you're trying to be color neutral, definitely find a color scheme that helps you distinguish the colors at a glance.

BECubed

YouTube
Visit Channel
I am currently switching to color neutrality, theoretically, it should only take me 3-4 days being that I'm a white,yellow, and green(newly) solver. Most likely I will be doing an ao300 on the days color, if everything crumbles and I make no progress, I will just be doing the same the next week, but will be doing it slower. I will be practicing each days color daily, but mainly focusing on that days color, wish me luck and I will be updating every day.

EmperorZant

WCA
2015LAUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am currently switching to color neutrality, theoretically, it should only take me 3-4 days being that I'm a white,yellow, and green(newly) solver. Most likely I will be doing an ao300 on the days color, if everything crumbles and I make no progress, I will just be doing the same the next week, but will be doing it slower. I will be practicing each days color daily, but mainly focusing on that days color, wish me luck and I will be updating every day.
Good luck! Hope you transition smoothly.

Hazel

Premium Member
Disclaimer: I don't speak from experience!
However, I'd recommend switching to a new center until you're pretty comfortable with it, and make sure to practice your old one(s) a bit so you don't get worse with them! Once you're kinda-sorta comfortable with all centers it may be best to just say you're color neutral and accept that you're a bit slower than you were before trying to switch, but you'll get back down!

Disclaimer: I don't speak from experience!
However, I'd recommend switching to a new center until you're pretty comfortable with it, and make sure to practice your old one(s) a bit so you don't get worse with them! Once you're kinda-sorta comfortable with all centers it may be best to just say you're color neutral and accept that you're a bit slower than you were before trying to switch, but you'll get back down!
Good idea! Thanks for your help.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
For anyone that is planning on switching to Color Neutral or would like to know somethings to keep in mind when switching to CN then this video that Jperm just released is really good and I would recommend it: