• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Colour Neutral Discussion and Help

HelpCube

YouTube
Visit Channel
My tips for becoming CN: Just do it.

Seriously, I'm sick of people saying "I'm opposite color neutral" or "My times go really high when I do CN, so I'm gonna try an easier approach". JUST LEARN IT.

Face it, you're times will be awful for a while, but they'll go back down when your done. It's like when learning F2L, beginners often become discouraged because their times double. I know many people suggest that you become opposite color neutral at first, but there are many problems with that.

First off, us humans love to procrastinate. We learn opposite color neutral because it's easier than learning it all at once. But what often happens is we learn opposite color neutral, and are happy with that for a while, then eventually learn another side, and keep going. That can last months depending on your procrastination level.

Also, going a side at a time is much slower to learn. When you factor in the procrastination I was talking about, it's gonna take a while.

Sorry, had to vent somewhere, I'm just sick of people being all "CN is hard so I'm gonna take my time learning it". Some things in life you have to take a step at a time, this is not one of them.

cubeslayer

It wasn't until watching a video by Rowe Hessler and yourself that I began to seriously consider going colour neutral.Now I followed your plan at first , but then decided it was too rigid and started doing whatever side looked easiest. My times started off as ****. That said, it might have helped that I have tried * cough* going colour neutral in the past, but would quickly giveup. So I was somewhat familiar with the different fillers. Enough Said. Here are My times currently ( after a few days of getting hooked on this CN drug).

1.yellow 21.21 B2 D R2 L2 U R2 B2 D' U' L2 U' F D' R F' U2 L2 F U L' D'
2. Blue 21.47 R2 D2 L2 U R2 L2 D2 B2 U' L2 U R B' F R D' R' F2 L2 U R D2
3.white 18.99 F2 R2 F2 D' L2 B2 U' R2 U B2 U B' R' D2 R L2 U' L2 D F2 L2 U'
4.yellow 19.02 U2 L2 D F2 L2 B2 L2 D' F2 D F R2 F2 R2 B' U2 R2 D' L D'
5.yellow 19.39 U L2 B2 U2 F2 L2 D' F2 D F2 U2 F U L' B R2 D U2 R' F2 D U
6.Blue 20.23 L2 U' L2 B2 L2 F2 D' R2 D' U' B' R F L' B U B R2 F2 R' D'
7. Blue 21.87 D' F2 R2 D' L2 D L2 F2 D2 B2 U' F R U2 B U' F2 R D B2 L2
8.Yellow 20.02 L2 U F2 L2 U R2 D' F2 D' R2 U R' L2 D' R' U' F' R' D2 L D' U2
9.Red 22.03 L2 F2 U R2 D' U' F2 U' R2 U' R2 F U2 B' L' U L2 D2 L' B2 L' U'
10.Red 20.29 L2 U F2 R2 L2 D2 L2 F2 D' L2 D' L' D B' R2 U' F' D' F' R B U'
11. Yellow 17.15 D B2 D2 U R2 D R2 F2 U2 L2 B2 L F D' B2 R2 F2 R2 D' L F2
12.Red 23.30 B2 F2 D' F2 D L2 D' U F2 D2 U' R B U R2 F L D U2 B' L U2

One thing I have noticed though. My f2l technique has gotten better. I " see more" and am able to track more pieces.

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I totally forgot this thread existed!

My update.
Im about 12 days into Road to CN and i am giving up.
Not because I dont want to be CN, is just that ive been getting into running and id run for hours. Hours that are taken away from cubing time.
But im still trying.
I think i will be color neutral, but i know for a fact it wont take me a month. Maybe a few months.

BUT over these almost 2 weeks, my look ahead has improved. I am now fully Bi-colored neutral. (Which is extremely useful for me)
I can now get sub 16 with yellow.

HeyCuber

I just recently started cubing seriously and I'm on my road to colour neutrality. I think it's better to start moving to colour neutrality as soon as possible.
Your times will be slower for a while, but don't give up. You can try starting with the opposite colour of the side you usually start with. (White<->Yellow, for example.)

So let's say you're used to white. Just forget it for a while and do yellow. You'll notice that opposite colours are not that bad.
When you're comfortable with yellow, you can actually choose white or yellow when solving the cube.
Move on and pick another colour, then it's opposite, and then go for the final opposite colours.

Take your time getting comfortable with the colour you are learning. Also, remember to solve the cube starting on any colour you've learned so far.
If you want to test yourself, just throw it like a dice and start solving the cube on the colour headed up.
And when you're finally learned colour neutrality, learn to pick the best cross to start with.

Hope this helped or motivated someone! :)

Last edited:

HeyCuber

HeyCuber, you're right. I tried for about 2 weeks now but I don't think this is going anywhere, I'm just going to stick to yellow/white.

I'm also most comfortable with white and yellow at the moment, but I'm moving on to another colours. Sometimes I do random solves with other colours and it's not that bad. I think I can do this, I think you can, too!

HeyCuber

Thanks for the encouragement but I don't see myself becoming color neutral anytime soon, I made almost no progress in 2 weeks. Good luck to you though.

Thank you! Like I said, I just recently started cubing. It must be harder when you've cubed for a long time.

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm starting week 3 of yellow cross only and it's still way behind my white cross :( This is tricky. I'll give it this last week then I'll start mixing white back in.

chardison1980

YouTube
Visit Channel
Im still working on going from yellow to white and vice versa.
ever since starting roux ive forced myself to go ahead and be color neutral, ive got white, and yellow down pretty good, but the others makes my braine hurt when im building my second blocks, i get stuck looking for them its really bad.
but other than that im doing ok, and im averaging about a min being CN so i guess thats good.

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
ever since starting roux ive forced myself to go ahead and be color neutral, ive got white, and yellow down pretty good, but the others makes my brain hurt when im building my second blocks, i get stuck looking for them its really bad.
but other than that im doing ok, and im averaging about a min being CN so i guess thats good.

Yeah me too. Second block is the hardest,

Achifaifa

If you're going to be color neutral, do it as soon as possible, otherwise you'll take forever to get there/give up before you get there.

^Followed your advice, I almost got used to red side first. Getting used to yellow is actually easy, but the rest of the colors are soooo confusing.

I'm having a great time trying, so I guess I will continue :)

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
^Followed your advice, I almost got used to red side first. Getting used to yellow is actually easy, but the rest of the colors are soooo confusing.

I'm having a great time trying, so I guess I will continue :)

It will get better with practice, just remember to not do white or else it will get all the more confusing. Also, to Pandacuber, you are doing well man, it will all start getting better during the last week. You are doing really well man, but you also really need to stop using white, if you keep doing that dude you are going to only make your transition all the harder. Just stop using white!!!!

Zbox95

My transition took about 2 weeks, and at that time I was averageing around 30s. Now I average around 19. What I did was that I solved opposite crosses for a week, then switched. Since I already was opposite CN on white and yellow, I only had to do red-orange ond blue-green. It was really easy, because you basically have the same F2L pairs for opposite colours, just mirrored.