• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Color Neutral CFOP Cross Trainer

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sometimes raw practice isn't enough. A golfer or bowler benefits from lifting weights. A poker player benefits from attempting to sell kitchen knives to unsuspecting housewives. Etc.

In my case, I just couldn't seem to own all 6 color schemes backward and forward for purposes of spotting a great cross. Inspection takes a little too long, I find that I still "cheat" by using the center pieces as guideposts.

So I wrote this little guy:

CN Cross Trainer

It forces you to learn cross piece neighbors in a flash-card sort of format, just like some of you probably learned your multiplication tables. The idea being that once you have each pair of neighbors down, the "ring" will mentally fall into place.

It's formatted for iPhone, but works fine with a mouse or keyboard. Fun little diversion while you're sitting at a bus stop or waiting nervously at the dentist, etc. No frills, assumes cross-on-bottom.

Happy cubing,
teller

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It doesn't seem to display the correct answer when you guess incorrectly, or else I'm missing it.
Regardless of your guess, it should display the correct answer, wait a few seconds, then move onto the next one. If you tap again, it skips the delay and goes on to the next one.

Could be the delay is not working on your device...what are you using?

Zarxrax

Regardless of your guess, it should display the correct answer, wait a few seconds, then move onto the next one. If you tap again, it skips the delay and goes on to the next one.

Could be the delay is not working on your device...what are you using?
I'm using firefox 12.0 on windows 7.

MWilson

Why is using the centers as a guide cheating? It allows for "at a glance" spotting of whether or not an easy to place edge will be correct or incorrect on any color scheme. That is, as long as you're familiar with the opposite colors of that color scheme.

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why is using the centers as a guide cheating? It allows for "at a glance" spotting of whether or not an easy to place edge will be correct or incorrect on any color scheme. That is, as long as you're familiar with the opposite colors of that color scheme.
It's not really cheating, but it's not optimal. For example, sometimes I'll get a cross where the first move is clearly an M2, and M2 reverses the centers and this totally throws me half the time so I can't use them as a guide. If I instead know where the %#*##!!! pieces are supposed to go relative to each other, those calculations do not have to be performed. And in general, this kind of fluency is something I desire so that my mind is freed up to look ahead into other things that happen during cross construction.

I was just making old school flash cards to test me on this exact same thing. I could have programmed something but I was lazy. Nice job.
Thank you, kind sir. It was actually kind of fun to design.

Last edited by a moderator:

wytefury

YouTube
Visit Channel
awesome program man. works super well and I can actually see this helping me and others a bunch. i switched to color neutral about 2 months ago and still sometimes really have to think about the cross. this should eliminate the problem entirely. im just gonna play with this when im bored.