• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Clock Discussion Thread

TheNextFeliks

WCA
2013POPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have seen no default thread for the rubiks clock. This will be for any clock discussion or questions.

My question: is the CubeTwist clock a good clock? I am wanting to get a clock for an upcoming competition.

Also: what is a very good tutorial for clock?

vcuber13

WCA
2009METH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
erics is the best tutorial ive seen, also when you first get your clock watch woners disassembly/lubrication/reassembly video

I use a cube twist, its good enough for me, but it locks up and misaligns sometimes, but a real one is definitely better

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I learned using Stefan's tutorial. You really don't need a video to learn clock. (Or any puzzle for that matter) http://www.stefan-pochmann.info/spocc/speedsolving/clock/

General advice for getting faster:

1) The clock doesn't always need to face 12. You would just do everything as you normally would, except when you finish each respective face, you have to align it to a direction that isn't pointing up.

2) Practice pin patterns. Keeping your pin patterns relatively consistent will make you faster and ease the look ahead. If you follow tip one, then you should be able to get by solving any "lucky" case of a clock with only two pin patterns. I use the following pin pattern for my second side:

(ddUd or dddU), dUdd, Uddd, UdUd, UUUd, UUdU, UdUU, dUUU, UUUU

I'd like to get better with this pin pattern though, and stop doing dddU as the first move of the sequence above.

dddU, Uddd, dUdd, dUdU, UUdU, UUUd, dUUU, UdUU, UUUU

The reason for this is that you don't have to use your right index finger for two different wheels on the first two moves, unlike the first pin pattern starting with dddU.

3) Practice solves with two "lucky" cases on each side that are a different orientation. This will help you understand how you'll need to flip the puzzle and remember where 12 is so that you can take advantage of these lucky cases. That being said, I would practice doing the same pin pattern over and over regardless of lucky case at first just so you can get comfortable with the pin pattern, then try this.

EDIT: Also, Rubik's is well worth it. The knock-off clock is fine for beginning, but if you're going to get serious about clock just go get one on ebay.

Last edited:

TheNextFeliks

WCA
2013POPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I learned using Stefan's tutorial. You really don't need a video to learn clock. (Or any puzzle for that matter) http://www.stefan-pochmann.info/spocc/speedsolving/clock/

General advice for getting faster:

1) The clock doesn't always need to face 12. You would just do everything as you normally would, except when you finish each respective face, you have to align it to a direction that isn't pointing up.

2) Practice pin patterns. Keeping your pin patterns relatively consistent will make you faster and ease the look ahead. If you follow tip one, then you should be able to get by solving any "lucky" case of a clock with only two pin patterns. I use the following pin pattern for my second side:

(ddUd or dddU), dUdd, Uddd, UdUd, UUUd, UUdU, UdUU, dUUU, UUUU

I'd like to get better with this pin pattern though, and stop doing dddU as the first move of the sequence above.

dddU, Uddd, dUdd, dUdU, UUdU, UUUd, dUUU, UdUU, UUUU

The reason for this is that you don't have to use your right index finger for two different wheels on the first two moves, unlike the first pin pattern starting with dddU.

3) Practice solves with two "lucky" cases on each side that are a different orientation. This will help you understand how you'll need to flip the puzzle and remember where 12 is so that you can take advantage of these lucky cases. That being said, I would practice doing the same pin pattern over and over regardless of lucky case at first just so you can get comfortable with the pin pattern, then try this.

EDIT: Also, Rubik's is well worth it. The knock-off clock is fine for beginning, but if you're going to get serious about clock just go get one on ebay.

I think I might try to do it intuitively first. I really can't use eBay so that's out of the question.

WCA
2010CANT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think Olivier Pergé has a good video on how to utilize lucky cases.

I also recommend you practice turning precision. I personally have a big problem with that, as you might figure out by my Clock times at WOF 2012 (9.56, DNF, DNF, 20.xx, DNF). I usually messup something in every solve, and the ones I don't, I usually get low 9 or so.

EMI

WCA
2011RHEI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a Chinese clock and the indicators are a bit... "inexact". They click into place, but wobble around a bit so I can't tell if they point to 11 or 12. Does the original have similar problems?

Sebastien

Premium Member
WCA
2008AURO01
yes, that's a known problem with Chinese Clocks (might happen with tomse Rubik's as well though). Unfortunately there is no way to adjust this. To fix this for my Hybrid Clock I just took a second clock and selected the best parts from both. This made me drop around half a second immidiately.