• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Clock Discussion Thread

What advanced clock tutorial do you recommend ? Like if there aren't any other methods, I'd like some advanced tips.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
What advanced clock tutorial do you recommend ? Like if there aren't any other methods, I'd like some advanced tips.
During inspection, plan your entire cross for one side. You can also improve your accuracy with some simple drills. Drill each hour amount turns in a single motion for each clock/pin. So for example, on just the top right corner clock, do 5 turns from 12-1 and back. Then do 5 from 12-2 and back in a single motion. Don’t do 2 individual hour turns. And repeat until the 6 o clock. Maybe seven. Then move to the next corner clock and repeat.

NevEr_QeyX

Are there any impossible clock states?
My clock has the top left and top right hands pointing to 1 on both sides while everything else is solved.

don't roast me imma clock noob

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
From some things I've seen, the Qiyi Clock doesn't have inserts. Is this true? If it does have inserts, how would I go about getting custom ones?
It does not have inserts, it is also a little smaller than the Shengshou/lingao so inserts from those won't work. if you wanted to make some you could use Gimp or a similar photo editor to edit the link down below to your liking, that is what I did for my shengshou.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
It does not have inserts, it is also a little smaller than the Shengshou/lingao so inserts from those won't work. if you wanted to make some you could use Gimp or a similar photo editor to edit the link down below to your liking, that is what I did for my shengshou.

I can't find a good image editing program. Do you know of one that works on a Chromebook?

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was thinking of a new method for clock. It is very similar to Pochman but it seems like it might have better lookahead/fingertricks.

The first step is to solve a cross just like the first step in Pochman.
The next step is flip the clock over and align the center with 2 edges. For my pin order this would be matching the center to the top and right edges.
Step 3 is to solve the corner that is in between the 2 edges aligned with the center, so kind of like a 2x2 block. The way I do this is by keeping the UL pin up and pushing DR up to align the edges with the corner, (for my pin order).
Step 4 is matching the 2x2 block to the bottom edge. (for my pin order)
Step 5 is to match up the 3 edges and one corner with the bottom left corner. I do this the exact same as I do in step 3.
Step 6 is to match up the "2x3" with the edge, and then to the remaining corners.

The pros I can think of for this method are:
  • You only have to look at either the right of the left side of the clock during the second side because you are solving all the pieces on the right and then on the left. This makes lookahead easier.
  • In steps 3 and 5 you are turning the same gear twice in a row which means you don't have to regrip like you would if you were switching moves.
The con I can see with this method is having to push down 2 pins and 1 up twice during the solves (after steps 3 and 5)

Let me know what you guys think of this!

WCA
2017BRYA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was thinking of a new method for clock. It is very similar to Pochman but it seems like it might have better lookahead/fingertricks.

The first step is to solve a cross just like the first step in Pochman.
The next step is flip the clock over and align the center with 2 edges. For my pin order this would be matching the center to the top and right edges.
Step 3 is to solve the corner that is in between the 2 edges aligned with the center, so kind of like a 2x2 block. The way I do this is by keeping the UL pin up and pushing DR up to align the edges with the corner, (for my pin order).
Step 4 is matching the 2x2 block to the bottom edge. (for my pin order)
Step 5 is to match up the 3 edges and one corner with the bottom left corner. I do this the exact same as I do in step 3.
Step 6 is to match up the "2x3" with the edge, and then to the remaining corners.

The pros I can think of for this method are:
  • You only have to look at either the right of the left side of the clock during the second side because you are solving all the pieces on the right and then on the left. This makes lookahead easier.
  • In steps 3 and 5 you are turning the same gear twice in a row which means you don't have to regrip like you would if you were switching moves.
The con I can see with this method is having to push down 2 pins and 1 up twice during the solves (after steps 3 and 5)

Let me know what you guys think of this!
Ehh I don’t see it being better than Pochman because:
You wouldn’t be able to plan as much in inspection
You have to put up and down a lot of pins when doing the second side, because you would have to go from 1 to 3 to 1 to 3 etc...

I’ve come up with the idea before, and it’s the same movecount as pochman, but pochman has way better flow, lookahead, and finger tricks.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ehh I don’t see it being better than Pochman because:
You wouldn’t be able to plan as much in inspection
You have to put up and down a lot of pins when doing the second side, because you would have to go from 1 to 3 to 1 to 3 etc...

I’ve come up with the idea before, and it’s the same movecount as pochman, but pochman has way better flow, lookahead, and finger tricks.
Alright thanks. It would actually be going from 1 to 2 though not 1 to 3.

Josh_

WCA
2019MARR04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I avg 11 with pochmann pin order and y2s stuck on 11 for some time what should i do?
If you don’t already:
- Learn how to solve lucky cases
- Learn how to start the solve from any angle to use more lucky cases (12 o’clock on any side)
- Learn how to do x2s and corner flips so you can solve a lucky case on the front and the back, and face the correct way when you flip.
- Default to doing an x2 if you aren’t doing anything special.
- Try to turn fast but still accurately
- lookahead
- Practice!

Kaneki Uchiha

If you don’t already:
- Learn how to solve lucky cases
- Learn how to start the solve from any angle to use more lucky cases (12 o’clock on any side)
- Learn how to do x2s and corner flips so you can solve a lucky case on the front and the back, and face the correct way when you flip.
- Default to doing an x2 if you aren’t doing anything special.
- Try to turn fast but still accurately
- lookahead
- Practice!
I dont do any of those lol ill start doing that then!

Sitina

Generally how many solves do a beginner need to practice to get sub20 for clock