• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Clock and Other Things (Megaminx and BLD)

Great mega day! Beat my PB single twice along with my PB average! I messed up very badly on a solve, so my average could have been far far better otherwise—but I’m very happy regardless.

Previous single: 1:52.99

New single: 1:42.39

Previous average: 2:03.95

New average: 1:58.67

I haven’t practiced in probably a week, so this was a great surprise! I’m starting to really like megaminx.

Having a lot of issues with 3x3. I‘ve continued to get PLL’s down, but my times haven’t changed in a very long time. I’m also working towards fully intuitive F2L. Still don’t average sub-20 often at all, even though I’ve been back cubing since the beginning of this year. I DO tend to focus on other events more, but by now I’d expect to be comfortably sub-20 at 3x3.

Any advice going forward? I notice that I often pause or rotate the cube—I’m sure it doesn’t help too much.

Imsoosm

Learn 2 look OLL if you don't already, if you do, then learn some easy OLLs - all the OCLLs, square shapes, T shapes, OLL 37 and 51. Also learning these give you some other algs, like OLLs 41 and 42 awkward shapes are just a sune followed by a T shape algorithm.

Try reducing the pause between recognizing OLL after completing F2L, also between OLL and PLL. Maybe do an example solve, or a reconstruction of your solves and make it split time and we can see what you need to improve.

Learn 2 look OLL if you don't already, if you do, then learn some easy OLLs - all the OCLLs, square shapes, T shapes, OLL 37 and 51. Also learning these give you some other algs, like OLLs 41 and 42 awkward shapes are just a sune followed by a T shape algorithm.

Try reducing the pause between recognizing OLL after completing F2L, also between OLL and PLL. Maybe do an example solve, or a reconstruction of your solves and make it split time and we can see what you need to improve.
I do know 2 look OLL and a few basic ones. I’ll definitely look into further OLLs, too. I was planning to do those more in depth after PLL—would the order really matter?

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I do know 2 look OLL and a few basic ones. I’ll definitely look into further OLLs, too. I was planning to do those more in depth after PLL—would the order really matter?
Not really. OLL can be learned pretty arbitrarily. I’m pretty sure I just learned cases as I started to recognize and distinguish them.

I love clock as well, I'm trying to get sub 10. Do you have any tips to get faster?
Of course! Firstly, make sure you have a good clock—the Qiyi is by far the best and will allow for the best times. Learn to use your thumbs on the bottom dials if you haven’t already. This is something which takes getting used to, but it will help you a LOT in the end. Practice getting used to certain movements—see what it feels like to do +6 or -1. This will help you perform them faster while solving!

Good luck reaching sub-10! It’s a big milestone, though it will start getting trickier to get faster past that point. With lots of practice you can do it!